Light Polarization

I'm trying to understand it (non-science background here), because I read in a book it led to much chemistry discoveries. Wikipedia doesn't do an eloquent job, imo. Is it that light can have either positive or negative static or zero static electric properties?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XhU-nNiAgtI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

light is an oscillation of the electromagnetic field.

imagine stretching a spring out. this is represents an electromagnetic field. imagine flicking that spring. the vibration caused to the spring is light, and the frequency at which it is bouncing around is the light frequency. In this example this is non polarized light.

Polarization, despite seemingly being a simple physical phenomenon of filtering light waves, still requires a solid understanding of electromagnetics and trigonometry to understand.

so unpolarized light moves in a straight line, but oscillates in its magnetism? or is it that light has a density and zigzags in a plane?

also, using my above example with the spring, if you were to hit it in such a way as to make it vibrate along a plane. vibrating along 2 dimensions it would be akin to polarized light. if it is vibrating in 3 dimensions, it is not polarized.

look at your picture. the left of it shows a string vibrating in a 2d plane on the left and a string vibrating in 3dimensions on the right

so that in case #1 if u took a microscope and looked at an atom next to light, the atom would act like a spring in one plane-in the negative and positive? or would it be like case #2 where the atom acts only in one direction but always either attracted or repelled?

>if it is vibrating in 3 dimensions, it is not polarized.
>what is circularly polarized light

If I could interject for a moment, what you are calling a vibration in the so-called 2D plane is actually made up of component energy vectors which exist in the 3rd dimension. So the 2D simplification ignores some of the most important aspects of polarization such as that a polarizing lens can only filter polarized light at 90 degree angles orthogonal to it.

when we're talking about light we're not talking about atoms and there isn't anything actually physically oscillating around. what's changing is the magnitude and direction of the electric and magnetic fields

i'm speaking of light's effect on an atom

indeed, actually it is 45 degrees and not 90

first of all, is light attractive or repulsive to electrons? or is light made of multiple particles that can be either?

would the H+ ion oscillate left and right in a positive and negative direction? or would it either oscillate more or less in the negative or positive?

H-***

sorry if I'm daft. a better ? might be do certain materials intercept certain light and thus, for instance a negative OR a positive pole attract the secondary light?

that depends. the H+ will oscillate to the left if it is in the southern hemisphere (negative magnetic field) or the H+ will oscillate to the right if it is in the northern hemisphere (positive magnetic field)

is this trololol?

maybe i should read later into the book but I have some idears: if light is an oscillation of positive and negative particles moving in the same direction, shouldn't it move in clumps? also, if it can be divided (one polarity absorbed in a material), can't it be potentially used to make new chemical reactions? some things u may try this on could be any chemical/atom/particle, or at photovoltaic materials or at materials currently carrying a current, sorry if i'm going dumb

learn physics baka

what direction are YOU pointed? i'm upside down right now

is the photon (the circle) moving in this way when ejected from a source?

Photons have particle wave duality. It's both a wave and a particle, it's NOT a particle that moves in the pattern of a wave. You are in way over your head here.

it is not

you cant selectively divide electromagnetic poles.

if that drawing just wasnt so damn retarded I would say that yes, light moves in a somewhat similar fashion

then what's a proton? what's an electron?besides, I read a material was made
is pic related what light is?

fucking idiot troll

No, what the fuck

it has to be one of these, if the literature is correct

electric monopoles are different than magnetic monopoles

or not, is it BOTH?

ok, i'm going to smoke a cigarette,and if u guys haven't told me which of the three pictures it is, i'm a goner

or is it helixical?

I hope you accidentally take a gun instead of a cigarette and you never come back

As we all know, physics is really, really hard. That's because in reality it's all one vast illusion - an extravagant lie carefully constructed just to confuse us. By Jews. Read on and find out the unsettling big-nosed truth you never knew about the whole Jew world . (Unless, of course, you've read Mein Kampf. He had it nearly right.)

>Electricity
Inside cables there are hundreds of tiny Jews 'high-fiving' each other and running around swapping messages. This transfer of messages allows things to work, e.g. the Jews in a plug socket tell the Jews in the wire, who eventually tell the Jews in (say) a kettle to fart in the water allowing it to boil.

>Atoms
Atoms are in fact minuscule Jews, all holding hands and feet etc together to form an intricate web from which nearly everything in the universe is comprised. Radioactivity occurs when a rebel Jew is catapulted by his friends from their structure. Should this Jew come into contact with the Jews from our body, he will offer them gold, thus making the local area either benign or malignant. Either way, just read: cancerous.

>States of Matter
A solid is little more than a closely compacted configuration of Jews all holding hands, hats and noses. Heating (see Energy) causes Jews to become excited or tickled. They start to hopelessly lose grip of their neighbors and thus, to the goy eye, form a liquid. When Jews get tickled pink they're finally able to hold on no longer and just float away in groups of one and more. To us, and indeed to them, it's a gas. Occasionaly the Jews get so excited they catch on fire. This is what we call a plasma.
Metallic Jews (i.e. bankers) engage in elaborate flash-mob games of happy-slapping, whereby no individual Jew can be entirely sure which others he or (in the case of trans-gendered Jews) she is in contact with at any one time. Such Jews, as one might expect, get easily carried away by entartete musik. In certain situations while forming liquids, for reasons yet to be fully explained (some authorities suspect it may be just an excuse for covert foreplay) Jews get unbearably cold, in which case they all gather together, huddle up and, astonishingly, take on the appearance of ice. Colloids such as jello or glue are readily explicable: colloidal Jews have a weakness for jello and similar squishy, greasy foods; the super-Jew content (see below) of such snacks is exceedingly high, so they themselves soon end up pretty fat and
squishy, too.

>Gravity
Jews throw minute ropes (see string theory), invisible to the goy eye, to the ground. These ropes attach to unseen hooks that enable muscle-toned Jews to pull themselves towards terra firma. There is minimal gravity far from planetary bodies (i.e. in space) because no known Jews have access to cables of sufficient length. All bodies experience gravitational attraction to each other quite simply because Jews are, to put it mildly, sociable creatures who practically invented what they like to call the Communist Party. Jew all-nighters are where gravity waves meet Mexican waves.

>Light
If you think about it, its quite obvious, really. The Jews that make up our eyes can see what colour hats other Jews making up, say a table, are wearing. They then hi-five Jews in our 'optical nerve' who run to tell the brain Jews what has been seen. This makes us think we are seeing things when in fact it's all Jews.

>Anti-matter
Now this is a little more complicated. There are evil anti-Jews. These make up anti-matter. Done.

>Energy
Just like money, all types of energy are transferred through Jews. Heat is just Jews rubbing other Jews. Potential energy is when Jews don't want to be separated (see Gravity). Kinetic energy is the movement of Jews. Energy is always conserved so fundamental Jews (Haredis) are only ever transferred and never made or destroyed. Energy caused by nuclear fission is when you make a hyper-Jew very angry, and when it gets angry enough it explodes, causing an enormous explosion. But Jews are very amiable creatures, so this never happens. Nuclear energy is a lie.

>Pressure
Pressure is simply the Jew density per given cubic unit. When Jews see space that is uninhabited they have a tenancy all rush in quickly and take it over. This is what causes the phenomena known as wind

>Black Hole
This is when there are so many Jews so tightly packed into a space that anything which nears to close to it is snatched up by the Jews and never released. Occasionally, small Jews get rejected by the Black Hole and thrown out into space, we call this Hawking Radiation

or a double helix, according to bowser and princess lea's babby? each helix being either a row of +'s and negatives oscillating or each polarized?

op here, if u don't gimme an answer to the 8 possibilities, i'm putting on my tinder:
>you can find me on /sci, not getting the answers I want

see:

where the flying fuck in the flying fucking world is flying fucking lisa randall
inb4 permaband

and a better question is who killed the fucking war star?

I don't know why no one has posted an image like this, but it's much easier to understand with a visual aid. Unpolarized light has an infinite number of waves overlapped (called a "superposition") in an infinite number of orientations. A polarizer filters out all the waves except for those of a specific orientation. The resultant light has electrical and magnetic poles, kinda sorta like a magnet.

This is a layperson explanation and not 100% accurate, but it should get you started. Here's a video on the Faraday effect, which shows how the polarized light can then be manipulated by a magnetic field.
youtube.com/watch?v=XhU-nNiAgtI

this is helpful. What happens when the light in the figure hits the horizontal polarizer? does it die?

It gets absorbed