If you had to say that one of King's books was worth reading, which one would you choose?

If you had to say that one of King's books was worth reading, which one would you choose?

The Stand

Different Seasons

Not The Stand.

after thousands of years of lurking, i got the impression that the Veeky Forums answer is Misery

Well, the question implies one has actually read all of Kings book and can make an informed statement, but you'd have to be insane or already a die-hard fan to read everything he puts out.

Anyway, I found the Shining to be genuinly unsettling in places, and the first book in the Dark Tower saga is pretty great.

Dark Tower series gets better as it goes. Keep reading if you enjoyed the first.

the long walk

The Green Mile

Oh, I read it all. I didn't dislike the later books, but bringing it into the "real" world so much, along with some of the more off-beat concepts, made it lose some of the appeal to me - I much preferred the twisted mirror western world the series started out in.

The ending was genuinely haunting, however. Fucking hell.

A lot of his work is worth reading if you're not a hipster tryhard.

The Stand
The Shining
It (his best)
The Long Walk
The Green Mile
Night Shift (really good short stories)

11/22/63

I was very impressed by this book, because it took the atmosphere of the Twilight Zone and basically put it into book form. What's truly scary about the book, is that when he goes back in time, it seems like a completely different reality from ours; despite only being about 50 years from the book's release, the protgaonist feels like an alien trying to blend in.

To me that is the book's greatest achievement: making reality unnerving. The different segments of the book are presented with 60's style photographs, and they are chilling. I think that is the one book Stephen King totally nailed. I like how he keeps seeing references to JIMLA everywhere

Rage.

For real or are you trying to be edgy?

It is his best, by a long shot.

nope.

has anyone here read Duma Key?

Replace Night Shift with Different Seasons and you have a solid list.

Running Man

Basically this. 11/22/63 is far and away my favorite King book.

The ending was shit

Sorry to hear you're wrong. :(

i wouldn't

But I'm not user

I will settle this. I have not read the book so I am a neutral party. The ending was shit.

>It (his best)

The premise is good, the prose is good, the plot is good...but it's so fucking tedious and unnecessarily long in some places. The first half is brilliant but the last half was like passing a kidney stone. It got too bizarre and incoherent, with no clear message or theme and no sense of ending. The ending to It was awful.

And that thing the kids did to make sure they'd meet again? That was just straight-up weird in ways I can't even describe without giving spoilers. What the hell did King mean by including that?

This one.

>What the hell did King mean by including that?

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

Roadwork

was a bit of a letdown yeah

Got him this far, didn't it?

The Long Walk or The Shining

Don't know what he meant by it, but boy did I jack off to it like you wouldn't believe

Wow I thought I was the only one. Glad to know I'm not alone, haha.

The only book I've read of his is The Shining and it was terrible. Although that might be because I saw the far superior movie first. I can understand why King was butthurt that Kubrick made a better version of his story than he did.

>thinks he's the only pedophile on Veeky Forums

Only thing i've read of him is Night Shift and Cujo. He's like that shitty movie you watch when it's airing but wouldn't look for yourself.

He's probably going to be revered in ~60 years as lovecraft is now.

Roadwork

Misery.

Yeah he telegraphed the ending way too much. And who the fuck gets scared of a firehose?

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile tbqhwy

And that thing the kids did to make sure they'd meet again? That was just straight-up weird in ways I can't even describe without giving spoilers. What the hell did King mean by including that?

I don't know but I sure liked it.

> 41 (forty-one) replies
> Ctrl+F "Salem [...]"
> 0 results
What the hell, lads? Salem's Lot had its lengths, but it was still above and beyond the rest.

Salem's Lot was one of King's "The hero is smart and everyone else is dumb" books. The Mist too. Needful Things.

The Shining is worth reading to convince yourself that his books suck.