Favorite books

answer quickly: What is your favorite book of all time and why? Pic extremely related.

What is wrong with op's choice? I liked it a lot, because it isnt a dystopian or a utopian work but a logical extension of existig social systems

Pic related is pretty good

Oblivion by DFW

I find huxley rather dry.

Ebenezer Le Page, cantankerous, opinionated, and charming, is one of the most compelling literary creations of the late twentieth century. Eighty years old, Ebenezer has lived his whole life on the Channel Island of Guernsey, a stony speck of a place caught between the coasts of England and France yet a world apart from either. Ebenezer himself is fiercely independent, but as he reaches the end of his life he is determined to tell his own story and the stories of those he has known. He writes of family secrets and feuds, unforgettable friendships and friendships betrayed, love glimpsed and lost. The Book of Ebenezer Le Page is a beautifully detailed chronicle of a life, but it is equally an oblique reckoning with the traumas of the twentieth century, as Ebenezer recalls both the men lost to the Great War and the German Occupation of Guernsey during World War II, and looks with despair at the encroachments of commerce and tourism on his beloved island.

G. B. Edwards labored in obscurity all his life and completed The Book of Ebenezer Le Page shortly before his death. Published posthumously, the book is a triumph
of the storyteller’s art that conjures up the extraordinary voice of a living man.

"Imagine a weekend spent in deep conversation with a superb old man, a crusty, intelligent, passionate and individualistic character at the peak of his powers as a raconteur, and you will have a very good ideas of the impact of The Book of Ebenezer Le Page...It amuses, it entertains, it moves us...” –The Washington Post

"A true epic, as sexy as it is hilarious, it seems drenched with the harsh tidal beauties of its setting...For every person nearing retirement, every latent writer who hopes to leave his island and find the literary mainland, its author–quiet, self-sufficient, tidy Homeric–remains a patron saint." –Allan Gurganus, O Magazine

Trust me, it's amazing

Pic related. It's as bleak and depressing look at the horrors that someone who is mostly sane after committing murder. Crime is one of the topics that intrigues me to no end and this book was a fantastic look into it.

When Raskolnikov's sister points the gun at Svidraigalov is one of my favourite moments in all of literature

Just written very bad and u couldve made way more out of the story. Liked the idea tho.

Bunch of Finnish shit that doesn't even have Wikipedia or GR pages and is never going to get translated

so why do you care fag?

I like his views on humanity, and how he doesn't spell them out but inescapably implies them through the actions of his characters.

The atmosphere was so immersive

Tell me bout it

my diary

Gardner's layered metanarrative is a joy to read

Not OP here, but BNW is probably one of if not my favorite book of all time as well, and the only thing worth criticizing is the Huxley's idea plagiarizing if anything. The way it's written is no better or no worse than Orwell's 1984.

And i m o there is literally no better way to make something better out of the story. An A+ caste man is born imperfectly into a perfect society and doesn't receive the benefits as others do, leaving him time to suffer, which in turn develops into actual thinking, which is one of the core arguments, whether one has the RIGHT to suffer or not. However, when fame does reach him in the form of bringing John Savage back from the wilderness it's shown how he regresses back into the dredges while John's fantasy of the perfect utopia as told to him by his mother is utterly shattered when he realizes the woman he's come to love knows nothing of it, no emotional connection, everyone belongs to everyone. And in the end what happens? John CHOOSES the right to suffer, to think for himself, to exile himself into the wilderness, and eventually hangs himself out of despair. He got what he wanted after all. And that's why people ironically call BNW a utopian novel as well, people are happy, just happy, everything is beautiful and no one wants to kms.

Huxley even went so as to predict the rise of mass media in 1931 where familiar stories are washed down over and over with remakes until nothing of value is left, but people still consume them. Basically, books aren't banned in BNW, it's just that as other media get flashier and flashier, no one will want to read them anymore :(

Not OP but fuck you make a good sell will czech

Most true thoughts ever.

this, never read it in English though

Super underrated book. Really interesting to read with Hegel's master-slave dialectic in mind

I absolutely adore this book.

OP here - Agreed. I absolutely love the societal exposition in the book. The castes, the description of how it all works, the torture Deltas and Epsilons go through as mere children so as to lose all joy and creative thinking. I love dystopian societies and BNW is one of the reasons why.