He fell for the non-gmo meme

>he fell for the non-gmo meme
>despite there being absolutely no evidence that genetically modified food is harmful
>without genetic engineering we'd have much less food and ultimately starve
>he fell for the gluten-free meme
>despite the whole "gluten intolerance" thing being a gigantic hoax (the person that started it admitted it was bullshit)
>removing gluten from your diet can have harmful effects on your body such as weight gain, loss of energy, etc.

Why are people so gullible? Seriously, what's the next asinine pseudo-science dieting trend gonna be? Dehydrated food? Fiber-free diets? Sugar-free sugar? None of this shit makes any damn sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.mit.edu/demoscience/Monsanto/about.html
cornucopia.org/2014/03/gut-wrenching-new-studies-reveal-insidious-effects-glyphosate/#1note
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine#Dietary_sources
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-celiac_gluten_sensitivity
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You mean that 3rd worlders will die? How is this a bad thing? Less indians and africans and earth is a better place.

There was no evidence of tobacco use being harmful for nearly 300 years.

>>despite the whole "gluten intolerance" thing being a gigantic hoax (the person that started it admitted it was bullshit)
Yea gluten intolerance is bullshit but celiac disease is not

we wouldn't be a "first world" if we didn't manipulate nature to our needs. also don't lump in indians with africans. guaranteed as long as you didn't pick an indian that lives in a cave they'd be smarter than you.

Milk causes autism, well known fact.

Due to Chinese investment some African countries may reach first world status within a decade

>tfw i'm a farmer and grow only local landrace and heirloom plants
>tfw i'm up to about 80% homegrown/raised in my diet now
>tfw i've not eaten grain products for like 5 years and feel healthier than ever

Indians are stupid, they don't even have loos. Actually Indians are worst for the enviroment, they pollute so much.

Manipulating the genome of a living being goes too far.

that's absolutely fantastic news! there's no reason the more developed countries shouldn't be getting everyone else up to speed.

web.mit.edu/demoscience/Monsanto/about.html
cornucopia.org/2014/03/gut-wrenching-new-studies-reveal-insidious-effects-glyphosate/#1note

many GMO crops produce the active ingredient of Round UP pest control. recent study shows that that active ingredient is toxic to humans. since it is found within the plant, thanks to GMO design, rather than on top of the plant as would be the case if it were sprayed on, these GMO plants are toxic to humans.

there is one such case that GMOs are strictly bad for humans

you're wrong. get over it

Is it not a bad thing if Africans start using resources like the madmen in the first world?

This is interesting, thanks for sharing.

On a similar note I recall hearing an argument several years ago, where the claim that selective breeding of insect-resistant plants was more harmful than using pesticides. The idea was that the plants which were toxic to insects would translate these toxins to humans, as opposed to pesticides which could be washed off.

I am an engineering major. Have to take an advanced English course which is common to all students, including arts and economics.
Today I had to listen to a 15 minute talk on GMOs. The issue was presented in a neutral way, and the advantages of GMOs were clearly listed. The disadvantages listed were literally
>GMOs MIGHT cause cancer
>GMOs MIGHT have effects on people that aren't well understood yet
>GMOs MIGHT be bad for the environment and somehow cause global warming
The [spoiler]girl[/spoiler] giving the talk then went on to say that these grave disadvantages are clearly more severe than their minor advantages and that we should all agree to ban evil GMOs.
What the fuck is wrong with this world? Why are these supposedly educated people so brainwashed?

Could you provide an intervention study in which glyphosates are harmful to humans at levels contained within these plants

Or actually just any study that isn't written by hacks in an open access unrelated journal? It isn't like this stuff should be hard to show if it's toxic, and any reputable journal would be happy to publish such an important paper since their subs would go through the roof. That would be super, thanks

What is the study? That is the study you linked? That's barely an article, wtf.
Probiotics have not been proven to colonize the GI. They'd have to survive the excruciating environment of the stomach and initial parts of the GI tract first, which very few micro organisms can. If glyphosphate gets to the gut, sure it might kill them off, but in a few generations a resistant strain will occur.
Essential amino acids are not strictly made by the gut microbiome, the diet is also a very large contributor to those, just like vitamins.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine#Dietary_sources
You have no clue what you're talking about. The best thing to come from this article is that scientists should try to understand the effects of the compound added in the biochemistry of the plant in completely rather than to just gloss over its immediate effects.
All this article will do, I'm afraid, is turn people more against GMO's.
The ONLY thing I might be worried about glyphosphate is that it inhibits P450, but this was studied in rats and I don't know whether humans have compensation mechanisms for this or not.

Gluten intolerance is definitely a thing. Celiac is the most extreme case where you make antibodies against gluten and the enzymes that metabolize the gluten. And other forms have kind of the same symptoms like IBS or lactose intolerance.

Gluten intolerance is not a thing, at least not in the soccer mom sense.
Celiac is a thing, and one of the very few instances of gluten intolerance.

If you can't even do a basic google or wiki search to educate yourself...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-celiac_gluten_sensitivity
Yes, people still question it. But with it popping up and people not having distress when they remove gluten from their diet, certainly means something, no?

> certainly means something, no?
yeah, that they're hypochondriacs

Yeah, people simply stop feeling bloated and have diarrhea when they remove an ingredient from their diet. People just make that shit up just for the heck of it! Fuck improvement of quality of life, it's all just an act! Grow up. I don't think you understand what's it's like to shit liquid or to feel tired or to feel bloated every single day for seemingly no apparent reason.

It is possible that gluten intolerance isn't a thing, even if removing gluten does remedy the problem since a gluten free diet is so limiting in the first place (i.e. it may not have been the gluten, but by removing so much you incidentally probably also removed the thing you were actually intolerant to).

I never said it wasn't possible. But you could use the gluten free diet as an umbrella at this point for wheat and wheatlike containing products.
It'd not be surprising to me at all if many things pop up in the future like gluten and lactose intolerance because these small molecule rejections of the body can do so much harm.
However, profiling something like this is so difficult.
You'd basically have to use 10k$ for everyone with similar symptoms like this to find what specific shit their body has a nasty reactions to.

>he fell for the non-gmo meme

Nope

>despite there being absolutely no evidence that genetically modified food is harmful

Its harmful to the ecosystem

Its like you don't know anything about agriculture

>he fell for the gluten-free meme

Its a legit problem for a percentage of the population

>despite the whole "gluten intolerance" thing being a gigantic hoax (the person that started it admitted it was bullshit)

Except some people are gluten intolerant, has nothing to do with "who started it"

>removing gluten from your diet can have harmful effects on your body such as weight gain, loss of energy, etc.

I haven't eaten gluten in 7 years and I'm fit as fuck

>Why are people so gullible?

Ignorance. You're dumb, but don't know it. See?

>Seriously, what's the next asinine pseudo-science dieting trend gonna be?

I think its going to be something along the lines of periodic fasting which will appeal to fatties and masochists and masochist fatties of which there are many.

>Dehydrated food? Fiber-free diets? Sugar-free sugar? None of this shit makes any damn sense.

Yeah, because you came up with them. You're a moron, maybe a different board would be better for you.

Nah, they're falling for the Chinese debt trap. They'll just suck the continent dry, with the Africans only getting """""infrastructure"""""" in return. They don't even get jobs building those, they fly in Chinese citizens to work in Africa.

Yeah those can all be psychosomatic symptoms

So you placebo yourself by cutting something out of your diet. Is that such a big deal? Do you have an issue with dumb people self-fulfilling prophcy-ing themselves?
If you know so much better, why would you care about it and let the dumb people be dumb people. The research will eventually put a stop to the debate anyway. So just enjoy your being correct.

>non-gmo food is healthier than gmo "franken food"

Soccer mom science at its finest...did you know that Coca-Cola can digest a battery?

For the exact same reason people fall for any retarded bullshit on the internet. It makes them feel important.

>Claims everything he disagrees with is bullshit because muh no evurdenss
>Gives no citation even when claiming other shit
I claim OP is a faggot, and I have evidence.

OPs argument
>We genetically modified organisms for thousa...
Nah we didn't, putting the genes from a fish into my corn can't happen in nature. If you have evidence otherwise please show me the video of the fish/corn mating ritual.

Other side
>Studies are funded by XYZ Corp who sell those GMOs hurr Durr of course there's no evidence
>My independent labs... Oh the same ones that are funded by my side

What needs to happen is a generation or two be exposed to the effects of actual genetically engineered food to be able to say definitively.

/Thread, anything posted trying to refute this is I'll founded, non scientific pseudoscience

>but the research will eventually put a stop to the debate anyway.
If only that were the case in any field ever. Do you want to guess why that semi recent measles outbreak in Minnesota occurred?

Funnily enough it's not the lack of food on the planet that's the cause for starvation.

I still stand by the belief of "Its alright in moderation, just don't be a dick about it." GMO is OK if it is rigorously tested to have no adverse affects on humans or the ecosystem. Unfortunately, the modern practice of combining 2 different organisms, doesn't have enough testing for it to be 100% safe yet.