STEM job titles need protection

If you're a "doctor" or a "lawyer" your job title is protected, so people know exactly what you do and what credentials you have, and they can trust you.

Now if you're an "engineer", you could be some low paid code monkey, or a wealthy petroleum engineer. In fact, the word is abused...

>sales engineer
>mfw

It's like Subway employees call themselves "sandwich artists".

People have proposed that calling yourself an "engineer" requires a doctorate, but the term is too broad... we need more specific titles to show off our expertise in a particular area.

Other urls found in this thread:

fbpe.org/legal/statutes-and-rules/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're free to append your BSc title to your name anywhere and make people die of laughter.

I live in amsterdam close to the red light people engeneer district. where anyone can go to practice their people engineering skills.
maybe you should try it some time OP

I said doctorate, that means PhD.

What, are you British?

In real countries, "engineer" is a protected job title.

Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg & Richard Stallman are excellent Engineers without a degree in the area.

Bill Gates dropped out Harvard (left a BSc in Applied Math)

Elon Musk has BSc in Physics & Economy (dropped out of Stanford, left a PhD in applied physics and materials science)

Mark Zuckerberg dropped out Harvard (left a BSc in Codemonkey Studies & Psychology)

Richard Stallman is a BSc in Physics from Harvard (dropped out from MIT, left a PhD in Physics)

I did not include Steve Jobs because He was only a manager while the Engineer Steve Wozniak did most of the Job.

However the people mentioned above are all Entrepreneurs & business owners.

To be hired as employee you'll need titles.

Comparing only titles

PhD > Masters > MBA > BEng/BSc > Associate / Technician Degree > Code Bootcamp > Online Courses Only > Self Taught

In USA, to become a Licenced Professional Engineer you need to:
>1. Graduate from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)-accredited four-year college or university program with a degree in engineering
>2. Pass a standard Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) written examination. which tests applicants on breadth of understanding of basic engineering principles and, optionally, some elements of an engineering speciality.
>3. Accumulate a certain amount of engineering experience: in most states the requirement is four years
>4. Complete a written Principles and Practice in Engineering (PE) examination, which tests the applicant's knowledge and skills in their chosen engineering discipline (civil, electrical, industrial, mechanical, etc.), as well as engineering ethics.
>(from Wikipedia)

yeah ok Dr. user, fuck off.

Specific? Sounds like you're insecure and need an ego trip :)

From what I have gathered, alot of countries around the world follow this procedure or at least similar.

In Australia (my home) you need to pass 4 years of an engineering bachelor with honours, work for a set amount of years and apply for recognition by *engineers australia* or else you can't actually call yourself an engineer.

It's definitely a protected title.

Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg & Richard Stallman are drop outs.

However they all dropped out from Top tier Universities like Harvard, MIT & Stanford, from STEM Courses.

There are no guarantee of success for dropouts of Low ranked Unis.

>BA in physics
>calls himself a physicist

o i am laffin

I would say passing the PE exam or getting a PhD in engineering should be enough to be called a legit engineer. Maybe in some cases just the FE + experience because a PE isnt required for some fields (EE).

>Engineering Ethics
what
you need ethics to be an engineer?
what use does an engineer have for ethics

wgaf. this is a science forum not a sociology forum

>hey user, what do you do
>I'm an electrical engineer
>oh cool, my uncle is an electrician, too

How do you guys correct someone on this? I never know what to say because it's a lose/lose situation. I don't think there's anything wrong with being an electrician, but I'm not, and I feel like when I correct people, I come off as snide.

This can be applied to a lot of majors

>I'm a physics/math PhD researcher
>oh cool, my uncle is a high school teacher too, you don't need to go to a university to do that job.

>I'm an Mechanical Engineer
>oh cool, my uncle is a car mechanic / welder too, you don't need to go to a university to learn it.

>I'm a Chemical Engineer
>oh cool, my uncle is a chemist assistant too

>I'm a Computer (Hardware) Engineer
>oh cool, my uncle is a self-taught programmer too, you don't need to go to a university to learn it.

>I'm a Civil Engineer
>oh cool, my uncle is a carpenter / bricklayer / architect too, you don't need to go to a university to learn it.

>I'm a Hydraulic Engineer
>oh cool, my uncle is a Plumber too, you don't need to go to a university to learn it.

>I'm a Economist
>oh cool, my uncle is a Bank teller too, you don't need to go to a university to do that job.

You need a PE to be a real engineer in the US. I assume other countries have similar standards. Requiring something at PhD level to call yourself an engineer is stupid.

>sales engineer
>marketing engineer
>support engineer
>application engineer
Jesus fucking christ

also
>old technicians with no college degree who solder wires for 30 years and the lab starts calling them "electrical engineers" and putting them in projects way over their head
>but muh practical experience
>booksmarts aren't everything, user

yeah but he doesn't know anything about nonlinear optics so why are you asking him to build a picosecond laser system. Is it surprising that a 26 year old kid with a master's degree had to pick up the pieces?

I hate this lab.

To use the title engineer in Canada, you have to graduate from an accredited university then do a 2 year work experience under a professional engineer. After you complete the work experience, you become a professional engineer and are legally entitled to the title of P. Eng, which distinguishes you from someone who did a 6 month technical certificate and calls themselves a software engineer, audio engineer, data engineer, etc. It's fully regulated by the provincial APEG (Association of Professional Engineers and Geologists).

Regarding STM jobs, some credentials exists. Statistical Society of Canada issues Associate and Professional Statistician designations. Geologists are regulated by the BCAPEG. Other scientific positions (biologist, chemist, physicist) require a PhD to be published.

>I'm an Math / Physics PhD from a Top Tier University
>oh cool, my uncle is an Elementary School Teacher too. He has only a High School Diploma but He is better than you because He has more experience.

>I'm a Linguistit PhD from a Top Tier University
>oh cool, my little brother can speak several languages too, without a degree, He learned Japanese watching Hentai Anime, learned Korean listening K-pop, learned Spanish from a Illegal Immigrant, also Afro-american ebonics & also a bit of Klingon & Lord of Rings Elvish.

>I'm a geologist
>oh cool, my uncle has a rock collection too, you don't need to go to university to do that job.

>is it okay to design a baby rape machine?

getting your PE stamp is when you become a "real" engineer and a shit load of responsibility and authority come with it. you run into problems/projects where there isn't a code statute for reference or where you have the power to just straight up over ride the code and call it good.

i did a case study in college about a pressure vessel explosion that killed a couple people

>company orders a vessel made BEFORE the design has passed spec
>getting one remade is out of the question for the company because it was so expensive
>passes through the hands of a couple engineers and none will sign off on it
>they eventually find an engineer, pay him a boatload of money he comes up with a ludicrous operating/maintenance schedule for the vessel that, if followed to the tee, would make the vessel safe.
>engineer signs off on it
>NOT SURPRISINGLY the company can't abide by the maintenance and performance schedule and run the vessel way out of spec
>it explodes and kills a 2 and injures 3 more
>engineer isn't technically culpable and gets away with it

he didn't go to jail. he didn't lose his license. but that motherfucker knew full well those retards weren't going to run it they way he outlined. he CYA'd, took their money, and basically said "lol enjoy your bomb".

This doesn't really seem unethical to me.
>give someone all the information they need to avoid any harm
>they don't do it
>this is somehow your fault

the concept of knowing better just goes right over your head, doesn't it?

It's not a matter of "what if my client doesn't follow my instructions", it's a matter of "what design and maintenance plan will ensure a safe system". Anything beyond that is out of the scope of engineering.

t. aerospace engineer

>social science

It isnt his fault at all that the company didnt follow his instructions. If some product sys "dont put hands near blade" and i do that and hurt myself, is it really their fault? Or is it mine for being a dumbass and not following the instructions of the product

>as long as i design to the letter of the law it doesn't matter what happens!

and thats why there is an ethics section on the PE exam.

Sandwich engineer

In my state, you have to pass an exam and pay to become licensed to be an engineer.

It isn't enough to hold a degree. If you are not licensed, you can't even claim to be an engineer let alone practice any kind of "engineering".

>It's like Subway employees call themselves "sandwich artists".

To be fair it was the marketing dept. that made that up

Professional engineers are a thing you know? I do get your point though

God what a dumb picture. I know it's stock but it just makes me upset.

kek'd

Isn't that just a civil engineering thing?

Some states in the US have laws regarding the title of engineer. I know in Florida one must have a license for professional engineering to hold a position which uses the word engineer in it.
Or something like that

fbpe.org/legal/statutes-and-rules/