Is there any mangá worthy reading?

Is there any mangá worthy reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Osamu_Tezuka_manga
dmpbooks.com/books/1046/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_and_Punishment_(manga)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've wasted plenty of time on manga and anime and I have to say no.

Hold on senpai, I check my list for 10s, brb.

i enjoyed berserk, at least up till the end of the golden age arc. it's been slowly going downhill since there though
i have no idea what's literary or not though. i just likes stuff

This was meant for /co/ but applies to manga as well.

There we go
Aku no Hana
Akumetsu
Chrno Crusade
Ciguatera
Coffee Jikan
Eden: It's an Endless World!
Freesia
Goggles
Gunslinger Girl
Hikari no Machi
Himizu
Holyland
Homunculus
Koe no Katachi
Majo
Netsutai no Citron
NHK ni Youkosou!
Nickelodeon
Oyasumi Punpun
Sekai no Owari to Yoake Mae
Shin Angyo Onshi
Smuggler
Solanin
Strain
Subarashii Sekai
Tsumi to Batsu
Umwelt
Usotsuki Mii-kun to Kowareta Maa-chan: Totteoki no Uso
Voynich Hotel
Yuureitou

If you have any questions about them just ask away.

Nó.

Osamu Tezuka was a pure beast. Just look at his output:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Osamu_Tezuka_manga

Beyond stuff like Astro Boy, try Buddha, Phoenix, MW, Apollo's Song, The Book of Human Insects, Adolf, Ode to Kirihito, Ayako etc...

He even wrote a manga based on the Tales of Hoffman over here:

dmpbooks.com/books/1046/

He can easily be placed along with all the other artists who effectively cemented an entire medium or movement all on their own.

Well, I've read Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics and some Will Weisner works and essays and I think its good enough, what's the point?

And he even has a manga version of C&P

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_and_Punishment_(manga)

I really enjoyed goodnight pun pun and gantz, the previous is the more Veeky Forums relevant probably though

>I think its good enough, what's the point?
How can it be good enough when you don't see the point?

Well, I know I'm being a little autistical but still:
>before talking about comics on our board, make sure you've read ALL of the following
I've read some, not all

Why?

You're missing out on the best works that deal solely with writing. Not to mention they involve people like Moore that writes novels, Gaiman too as well as poetry, etc.

The best manga adaptation of C&P for me is Tsumi to Batsu by Naoyuki Ochiai. It's basically the same story (with small alterations of course), only in the 21st century with a really good artstyle.
You can read it for free on mangafox, it's really great.

>Dear /co/, before talking about comics on our board, please make sure it's actually /co/ because I'm pretty sure this is Veeky Forums

user pls

This is good stuff, thanks user.

Gaiman too as well as poetry
>Neil Namedrooper Gaiman

Vagabond

Oyasumi Punpun
Confessions
Himizu
Uzumaki

Most stuff by Inio Asano, Junji Ito, and Naoki Urasawa are worth it. Urasawa is frustrating because his plots become so sprawling, ridden with plotholes, and contrived, but he is really good with characters and creating suspenseful moments.

Urasawa is just shit honestly. His stories start out entertaining enough and the characters are fairly likeable but there's no thought put into it and it goes to shit by the fourth volume. It's just infuriating.

Those are a lot of good ones, user.

>picture books
>worth reading past age 5
Pick one

Which is probably why Pluto wasn't too bad. Least creative of all his works, though.

Conviction arc was god tier.
Post-conviction arc was when it went to shit since they introduced the loli bait witch and power level nonsense.

The loli witch is a great addition, she's really powerful and a teacher for Farnese. Isidro is the real fuckup, I hate kid characters like that. Dropped it after they arrived at the fairy kings island.

>Farnese
Was great in the Conviction arc and then did fuck all for 100 chapters until Miura realized she wasn't doing anything.

Seriously I much preferred the idea of The Black Swordsman arc with Guts going on an adventure alone, it made a nice contrast against the Golden Age arc.

Same here, my man. Conviction arc was best for me, especially the Lost Children chapters (Rosine literally did nothing wrong and didn't deserve to be maliciously killed by that savage, criminal murderer Guts desu). Guts was at his peak there, I loved his mental instability. The Black Swordsman had something mysterious and dark to it, travelling alone or with one companion max, killing apostles all by himself. Now it just feels like he's a baby sitter, patting Schierke's head and completely shitting on his nihilistic philosophy he used to have.

oh yeah, conviction was pretty good too, it was already starting to annoy me a bit though with puck doing stupid shit in every other panel and isidro and stuff.

Pointless

Punpun
Strongest man Kurosawa
Devilman
JoJo
Blame!
Yotsuba
Nukoduke, it's the fucking cutest thing in the world and its short, read a chapter right now.
I'd like to say that mangafox is a terrible shit website and if you are reading online you should use batoto.
Mangafox literally rips manga straight from batoto, compresses the image to save space which also makes it look worse, and puts a watermark on it.
I've seen shit get uploaded there and then pop up on mangafox right after in the same format, first hand. Just go straight to that juicy batoto baby.
Also all other manga websites that watermark there shit do this. I'm pretty sure they are all owned by the same Chinese company or something.

Blue Sky Complex
Complex
Dokidoki Renai
Doushitemo furetakunai
Finder no Hyouteki
Golden Days
Hidamari ga Kikoeru
Honto Yajuu
Ikumen After
Jackass!
Kabe No Naka no Tenshi
Koimonogatari
Konbini-Kun
Nar Kiss
New Beginnings
Saezuru Tori Wa Habatakanai
Seven Says
Shimanami Tasogare
Shinkuu Yuusetsu
Sick
Sotsugyousei
Yoru wa Tomodachi

If you have any trouble finding any of these you can always use madokami. Registration is a bit tricky, but it's run by the founder of 2chan and owner of Veeky Forums, and it has everything.

Anything by Junji Ito

YKK is literally the greatest manga ever written

One Piece.

>inb4 shonen cliche shit
No, if you read enough manga it's all a bunch of japanese moral cliches anyway.
But One Piece offers something worthwhile under the layers of tropes, it's a genuinely original masterpiece about how to deal with existentialism and the nature of humanity's faults and dreams, how we inherit the wills of others, how history is passed down, how to live your life.
Plus it's tons of fun, too.

There is one but you'll never know

epic

Mai robot waifu

One Piece.

>inb4 shonen cliche shit
No, if you read enough manga it's all a bunch of japanese moral cliches anyway.
But One Piece offers something worthwhile under the layers of tropes, it's a genuinely original masterpiece about how to deal with existentialism and the nature of humanity's faults and dreams.
Plus it's tons of fun, too.

>mfw he actually believes this
Memes aside, i really like the artstyle but get repulsed by the lenght. Shit should have ended years ago but its very lucrative so...

Asking this in a Mongolian horse trading route might not be wise, As in here there is a strong inclination for manga. I suggest you ask elsewhere as many recs might come from emotion rather than rational critique.

Anything by Inio Asano, it frustrates me that he doesn't write a novel. His artwork is good so there's that.

>cinema threads deleted imedietally
>manga has 40 replies
you guys should kill yourselves

Can't believe how anyone recommended 20th Century Boys or Monster by Naoki Urasawa.
GTO is also good, the japanese equivalent of confederancy of dunces.

t. angry user who made a cinema thread
Manga is literature by definition

went to japan, bought a volume of the only running manga with anything interesting, and it was hell of a lot cheaper over there (something like $4 and change)

golden kamui

its historical, great momentum with interesting characters in a setting you dont see often. plus the mystery and drama of the skins and prisoners.

there is also two other favorites of mine, voynich hotel and boys on the run.

Let me guess: Rock is doing the part of Raskolnikov, right?

Junji Ito can't into endings but his stuff is otherwise great

Voynich Hotel

I concur. They can have good premise, but they never finish it. They are unrepairable broken medium because they are so depended on sales. They're no better than TV shows.

>They can have good premise, but they never finish it.
This. For some reason the endings are always underwhelming or nonexistent. I guess it's due to how the market works, meaning successful series will just be extended indefinitely.
There are exceptions though.

Anything by Kazuo Koike & Goseki Kojima.

Damn, I want to re-read it now, it was so fucking good.

Mangas books and cinema belongs in /tv/ sorry your thread died

he doesn't really have a nihilistic philosophy. Its more of a IDGAF attitude. When Farness and the others ask to travel with him he dosnt say no, he just says they can do whatever they want. Hes alot more stoic than he used to be, hes not even getting angry talking about Griffith in the latest chapters.

I'm much more familiar with western comics, but I enjoyed Barefoot Gen (semi-autobiographical story about bombing of Hisoshima and the aftermath, influenced Spiegelman during his work on Maus) and a couple of books by Jiro Taniguchi (somewhat bland art, but his stories are great).

A couple of shitty ones, but overall, good list.

LOGH is basically War & Peace in space, with more of a focus on political ideologies than the relationships between characters. They've been translating the novels and releasing them in the west for the past year or so, but having seen both, I'd have to recommend the anime.

It's a near exact adaptation of the books, the only differences are little additions that serve to better flesh out the characters and world. Plus the visuals and soundtrack are great too, especially for the time imo.

Oyasumi Punpun is pretty fucking Veeky Forums. It reads like a modern day Japanese Thomas Hardy novel. It is literally a bildungsroman that uses free indirect discourse. It's also really fucking depressing but that's besides the point.

>some drawings for children are better and more Veeky Forums than cinema

There's a lot of historical manga with above-average stories

>Golden Kamuy
>Vagabond
>Vinland Saga
>Historie
>Kingdom
>Zipang

Oyasumi Punpun was good, but I tried to read other manga and was pretty disappointed, so I'm convinced it's exceptional.

Kokou no Hito. Based on a real person. The start is a bit generic, but then it goes off into a objectively great story.

Pun Pun is pretty much perfect.

The translators literally made stuff up whenever complex grammar was used in the anime. I imagine the books are better translated but don't know

This, with the length I understand why some people just won't try it out, but it's a great shonen manga in a sea of shit.

Literally 'muh mountains' in comic form. He should have died like a billion times.
However, if anything is similar to literature it's probably this since the character is an autistic loner who decides to live only for the thrill of climbing.

Any manga adaptions of the Tale of Genji or Romance of the Three Kingdoms? Or other Veeky Forums works for that matter.

good taste user, surprised a serious and good reply actually ended up happening so quickly. Haven't read a lot of those but like those I have.

>enter this thread
>ctrl+f Nausi
>nothing
Y'all should kill y'all's selves.

Yeah, there's a really long one of ROTK, translated by Hox.

Came in to post this.

> I've never read any of these
> I've never even heard of these

At least I finished Death Note r-right guys?

UZUMAKI by JUNJI ITO

Yes, you're in luck. As much as I love the double bluffs and triple bluffs and dramatization of Ravages of Time, a fellow user also did another manga Sangokushi with over 400 chapters that is a complete telling of the Three Kingdoms with not nearly as many changes as Ravages. The art is a lot more simple in Sangokushi but a lot more Veeky Forums, unfortunately it's missing the pretty-boys

Got the collection for christmas, looking forward to it.

splendid taste, user

what if i can't read japanese

Try Shintarou Kago's stuff.

then read it in english senpai

but it hasn't been published in english

>Tale of Genji
You might find value in Minamoto Kun Monogatari if you can get over the ridiculous set-up and become absorbed. Then if you do enjoy it and would be interested in another manga with similar character development, you could check out Sundome.

berserk is great.

I absolutely recommend oyasumi punpun.
It can be slow at parts, and I really didnt care for the side chars, and most chars seemed atleast a little unrealistic, but you get a really good feel when you finish it, like youve been enveloped by the world

see if there is a fan translation you can download

There is no manga that surpasses the anime original works. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ruseing you and won't be able to name any particular titles.

Any of those shonen?

>Horse
Is this about Nietzsche

kenji tsuruta is great

this is a good list.
I still have to read some of them though.

Same here, leave it for the bus or when your traveling and just want some lite entertainment.

Kenji Tsuruta has great artstyle and characters, but the story always falls short.

Tayio matsumoto

I liked Junji Ito's work. Does anyone know of any other good horror comic artists?

Annarasumanara is pretty decent. Anything by that author is also good.

>manga

I enjoyed Jiraishin, bit edgy, but still

Monster is great.
20th Century Boys is the real shitty one.