Stack thread

No stack and recent purchases thread?
Stack and recent purchases thread

I'll start.

>pic related

Any tips on which one I should read next?
Finished Lolita yesterday, now what?

Other urls found in this thread:

eastonpress.com/prod/3B7/2720007/Leo-Tolstoy-s-ANNA-KARENINA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>unironically reading Dickens
He's a fucking chump and there are no good books he has written. How can you survive 300 pages of prose from a failed playwright?

Bought Oliver Twist and Treasure Island(read) for no other reason than they were on sale. Two bucks each I believe

Is it really that bad though?

Having released most of his works in serial, ie 10 pages a week in a newspaper, he has tried to draw out ideas and plots as long as possible. Because he was essentially payed per word

How about to stop fucking buying books and actually read the ones you've got instead.

Shut up.

Use your local library. 3 renewals. 9 weeks. Unlimited books. No space taken up. It's a beautiful thing.

don't buy books just because they are cheap my good dude, buy them because you want to read them my man, otherwise you look like a fucking mongoose

fuck it I started with Oliver Twist lel, seems alright to me 15 pages in, it is a classic and demands to be read, whether or not it is trash
fuck off faggot

4 of the books were given to me

also implying browsing and buying books is not one of the best parts of this literature related hobby of ours

what the fuck my man libraries take up a huge amount of space

Read The portrait of Dorian Gray. Probably reading Jane Austen after Nabokov will feel like reading a children's book.
I tried a few times reading Austen, it bores me to death too fast.

You're getting very political there.

what Idiot translation is that?

Constancee Garnett

You have to appreciate the tediousness and the gossip, you don't read Austen for the plot
And Austen isn't exactly easy either, not just because of the old timey speak, but Austen still had a good intuition of 'novelistic discourse' to use a technical term, stuff like shifting from someone's inside to an outside perspective, temporal shifts, etc.
I think she wrote good characters as well, like in P&P, I can't remember their names but there's a dry, witty father and the hysteric, gossipy housewife/daughters, an embarrassive, boring, and petty priest guy who's always strolling or talking about strolls, generally speaking they're all obviously crazy, tightly wound autists, and that speaks to me

Here are my most recent purchases. Also picked up a 1975 publication of GR for $1 in a charity shop but that's not in the photo.

please post the cover OP

Reading V now, pretty good. I'm prepared for there to be no cohesive story but I like Pynchon

1/2 paid $13 for the stack

2/2 paid $55 for the stack

>also implying browsing and buying books is not one of the best parts of this literature related hobby of ours

45 Euros. Some greek trash here too.

Dickens is underrated because the most well known ones aren't that great. His best are things like The Pickwick Papers and A Tale of Two Cities.

Great expectations was just dry imo and oliver twist average.

>brand new copies of books that have been in print for decades
You could have got all that for $21 at a used book store, cunt.

>caring about money
look whos all spooked out

M&M is based as fuck

Why does my phone rotate this shit every fucking time

I know I'm not the only one on this board with this problem

>not putting the image on your PC and re-sizing/rotating it

The photo is right side up in my phone. It rotates only when posted.

Veeky Forums strips the data from the image. When i take portrait pictures i have to go into the gallery and then rotate the picture, save it, rotate it to the proper direction then i can post it correctly. This leaves 3 copies of every picture on my phone. Well, the ones i want to post here.

Next to the couch in my living room.

recent purchases here, bookstore had a big after new years discount.

Thats a lot of wordsworth.

Recent purchases after I decided to stop reading all my books as pirated pdfs. They're pretty much the only books I own other than Walden and a free Buddhist book.

Aside from the shitty covers they are fine when not doing translations

That's a really nice binding for Anna Karenina. I got a shit one with some girl with flowers. It makes it look like some romance novel or something retarded.

They really are but i dont like the form factor with thick books. They are small and not comfortable in my hands.

You have the wordsworth edition. I have the same one. The good news is that its the maude translation.

>buying all your books at once
>not buying one or two at a time from your local bookstore so that you may increase your chances of meeting a qt literary grill who's single and wants to date a pseud-frogposter

>girls go to your bookstore

Your bookstore isn't Veeky Forums enough if it is approachable for women

>girls go to your bookstore
>bookstore
>implying I only go to one bookstore and don't alternate among the various ones located throughout NW DC
>implying all the bookstores I go to aren't exclusively locally owned, non-corporate, which constitutes whether a bookstore is literary or not
>implying women can't be literary

>nw dc

kramer is an overpriced tacky shop used for first dates for vapid people in a vapid city pretending they're cultured

carpe librum has shit books

idle time books has shit books

capitol hill books has pretty good selection but is so "cute" that it's a fucking meme filled with people pretending to read while squealing "oh my god this place is adorable"

second story books is great but too "intense" for most people just browsing because of its comparatively too small of a fiction section, its antiquarian selection, and its cool but awkwardly bookish staff

fucking fight me

also dc meetup when

Hyperion is awesome. Know that it's only part 1 of the book, like LOTR is a book in three parts. You need the next one too to get the full story.

If you're new to book buying, for sure check out used book stores and thrift stores and library sales. You can get a ton of great classics and common contemporary books for really cheap.

Good eye. I got really lucky with that copy of Anna Karenina. I paid $3.49 for it and it costs $65 new or $35+ on eBay used. It's an Easton Press collector's edition bound in genuine leather. It's in like new condition too.

eastonpress.com/prod/3B7/2720007/Leo-Tolstoy-s-ANNA-KARENINA

I like you

>fucking fight me
>also dc meetup when

This week? I'm down.

I actually would be too. Met one of my good buddies through lit and he may be interested, too.

Any ideas on time/place? I just railed against Kramer's as a bookstore, but it's inoffensive as a bar. Definitely open to other suggestions though.

Yeah, Thursday or Friday work best for me.

Here's my throwaway: [email protected]

I've never actually been inside the bar portion of Kramer, so that might work. Or maybe we could hit up a museum or something, it doesn't matter to me.

Based stack desu.

Just emailed you. Forgot to mention it there, but Thursday/Friday work fine for me.

>also implying browsing and buying books is not the most cancerous parts of this literature related hobby of ours

>wordsworth

Picked these up today. Did I get memed?

The only Hyperion worth mentioning on a literature board is the one by Hölderlin

All aboard semester two. Just fuck my shit up.

>The Inferno
>THE
I feek sick now

Enjoy The Leopard!

Fucking fags with shiny ass fuckign books

I go through antiquarian/second-hand bookshops and have none of these flashy VINTAGE COLLECTIONS

got some fucking books that have orange papers and are from the 1890s though

Charity shop finds from yesterday

>not the one by Keats

Dans les poubelles

Do none of you read anything but fiction?
Interesting, what are you specializing in? Texas criminal law? Gonna be a prosecutor or?

It's still the first year so all of these classes are manditory. I'd like to do inteectual property and such. Help out all the programmers, decals, and musicians.

But hey, con and crim law are interesting. I could change my mind.

>inteectual property and such
I had to read about IPs & copyrights related to biological artificial and non-artificial cells and man-made creations in my introduction class, it was some deep fucking shit, thank god its over.

That was a fun case. The guy who made a cell? And it's sister case where the guy sues the hospital for using his cells for research without his consent? It's so silly, I love it.

But really programmers and musicians are who I want to work with most.

I'm not from the USA so I have no idea what you are talking about, kek. Studied in Binland.

OP here, I'm also reading a few Essays out of the Federalist Papers a day and reading a history book on Japan but did not include these in the OP pic.

Nice finds user

Try the Idiot. It seems about appropriate for you.

Just emailed you back.

Recent purchases. R8 and Appreci8

kys

>A Tale of Two Cities
but thats his best known novel

That's a nice copy of MD :)

ITT: Untouched copies of Ulysses and Moby Dick with flawless spines.

Nice to know y'all read.

Yeah stacks means unread

welcome to Veeky Forums, newfag

>a Dune prequel
>two copies of Portrait
wtf are you doing?

>Annotated Student's Edition of Ulysses
>aesthetic Moby Dick
I am jelly

This is legit a thing in the bookshelf thread but posting it here? user you dumb.

Thanks. Gunna get into Nostromo first. Of Conrad I've only read Heart of Darkness before.

Dunno what to expect with 'The Stars my Destination'. I read 'Demolished Man' and enjoyed it but I was much younger.

Never read anything by Murakami before.

>Yeah stacks means unread
no it means a stack of books

i have stack of books that i'm reading next to me

they are worn out from reading
they are not PRIMA QUALITY 100 VINTAGE TOP 90001 KOLLEKTION #1 EDITION *dusts on the spines* books

>actually displaying the wordsworth edition of C&P on your shelf

what's master and margarita like?

not him, but every single person showing off a stack in this thread bar three states they are 'recent purchases' and you're complaining about untouched books.

do you have autism?

Since they are recent purchases, I have not got around to reading them yet, which is why the spines are intact :)

not having enough books to read through rahowa

Yes I have autism.

>recent purchases.
Makes you think, no? That nobody ever posts "stacks of read books" that every person that reads has at any time.

Sound and Fury is a meme. Don't read it.

Moby Dick is a true classic. Anything Dostoyevsky is worth reading 5 times.

Throw Pride and Prejudice in the trash then devour the rest. Nice stack

>Sound and Fury is a meme. Don't read it.
10/10 made me rage. Oddly you're right about Moby Dick though.

>Anything Dostoyevsky is worth reading 5 times.
I wish non Russians would shut the fuck about his bad books already

Everyone seems to have read it, and I saw it like new in hardback so I grabbed it. Really into the trash?

What about the other female works I often see: Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma?

anna karenina is great, enjoy user.

What I don't understand though is how is flowers for algernon that big? I read it online but it seemed too short for solo-publication.

Flowers for Algernon is short, but it's not that short. It's a bit longer than the first Harry Potter book, and more than twice as long as The Death of Ivan Ilyich.

Is it possible you read an abridged version?

hmm actually that could be a possibility.I'd had it recommended by a friend who said it was "short" so I googled it and just read some pdf. Don't remember exactly how long it was.

I'll have to find the full text thanks user.

Do all you fuckers crack the fuck out of the spines on your books? I have one cracked spine and my whole bookshelf and it's cracked because I traveled with it for a few months. Learn how to read without opening the pages at a 250 degree angle.