STOP IGNORING ME!!!!

STOP IGNORING ME!!!!

i'm better than Python you fucking degenerates!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.julialang.org/en/stable/manual/introduction/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lua >>> Python

>literally whomstd've

is there an opencv integration for julia?

Yes

OHHHHHHHHHH Anna JULIA

Lua doesn't even target the same domain.

Lua is for embedding in other applications.

So I heard you like scientific computing

If your building a system yeah but if your messing with data all the time you probably want a scripting language.

>not using C as a scripting language
Who let all the brainlets out today

>Not using C for everything

>C
sometimes I need inline asm.

>being better than absolute garbage
Real proud of yourself eh?

>install julia
>it takes hours
>stupid github packages
>nothing works
>uninstall

Meme language

>The core of the Julia implementation is licensed under the MIT license. Various libraries used by the Julia environment include their own licenses such as the GPL, LGPL, and BSD (therefore the environment, which consists of the language, user interfaces, and libraries, is under the GPL)
>is under the GPL

Tainted by communism, would not use.

>The perfect language was created 47 years ago

Quite a lot of the technology you use is probably designed using software under GPL. There's a reason people don't pay licenses for programming languages anymore.

They should be under BSD/MIT style copy-center licenses.

All the better for you to profit from others free labor, right?

Some of these comments make me believe that they never created anything in their life.

If it's not Open Source you literally can't do anything with a language. You guys are fucking studid.

Learn Julia for the moolia

>julia
>python
Did a liberal name these? They both sound cringy. Whatever happened to just using c?

>>julia
>>python
>Did a liberal name these? They both sound cringy. Whatever happened to just using c?

Probably yes,
if a conservative named them they would probably be proprietary and would have to pay a fee of > $1400 a single license a year. and still have restrictions.

good luck using C to test statistical models

forth is the only language you need.

Does anyone want to make an R clone based on Forth? It would be faster and lighter than the current version wish is sadly based on C.

web development happened.

Matlab isn't open source and so are you saying you can't do anything with Matlab?

Braindead retard

>Whatever happened to just using c?
Idiomatic C is one way to convey your instructions to deal with a problem to the hardware. Given the wide variety of problems people want handled, however, there is no guaranty that it will be the most clear, concise, and correct way of doing so.

good point.
end
end

Of course you can try to use pirated MATLAB for your company but (((mathworks))) may sue you.

>Does anyone want to make an R clone
nah
>sadly based on C
don't really have a problem with that

forth is still the only language you need, tho

>All the better for you to profit from others free labor

You can add a noncommercial clause if you want. But really, how many people do you think buy things that are freely available? And do you really think that the unscrupulous sellers will care what the license says?

Also, people can and have sold GNU software too.

>The only way to be open source is to be communist

MIT -> Everyone can use it.
GPL -> Only communists can use it but everyone can become a communist... Also death to the apostates.

Matlab is awful for any serious problems. And slow.

>Matlab isn't open source and so are you saying you can't do anything with Matlab?

Mathworks/Matlab is one of the most nickel and diming companies out there. There is no point in using it. Every package you have to pay for.

>forth is still the only language you need, tho
How old are you

>There is no point in using it.
Replacing both it and those packages won't be free. You'll spend time, money, or both doing so. That's why companies and individuals keep buying it.

>Replacing both it and those packages won't be free. You'll spend time, money, or both doing so. That's why companies and individuals keep buying it.

nope, I can do everything that you can in Matlab and more using R and Python. I'm migrating to Julia tho

What's your replacement for Simulink, especially for the ability to spit out code for various DSPs, once the model has been tested out.?

You mean something like blind source separation? I did that in R.

R has some pretty sick visualization abilities, if no you can use D3 or processing.

Model driven development is all the rage in the controls group at my place. The goal is to reduce the chance for introduced errors by going from the engineer's validated model of the control system to code running on the target DSP with no filthy coder's fingers touching it along the way.

>wasting 85% of your time writing boilerplate

no thanks

if it works for you enjoy the EULA. But your paradigm is flawed.

That sounds like a "no, in this case there is no free alternative to Simulink." Am I right?

> CAS is still SymPy

If you know what you're doing--yes.

Don't take this as a dis.
Just once I wish that the people saying, "you don't need that proprietary crap, use the free alternative," could actually point to a viable alternative, because I'd love to have one available.

>you NEED anything else
how old are you?

What do you need to get done?

It starts about here .
The task at hand in this corner of the thread is to ignore Julia (like everyone else in the thread) while finding a free alternative to Matlab + Simulink + whatever their code generation module is called for model driven development, thus invalidating this comment, .

How does Julia compare to LISP?

To be fair, modern LISPs have come a long way since the initial implementation.

>Calling GPL communism
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! STATISTS! GET OFF MY BOARD! INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ISN'T EVEN REAL PRIVATE PROPERTY!

From machine language on up, has there been a generation of languages that LISP didn't join?

What exactly are you wanted to do? I call a lot of R functions into Python and vice versa. I never needed anything Matlab offers. I did Visualizations with D3 and Processing with R/ Python in the background. I really don't know why you would choose to use Matlab.

I'm not too savvy to know what a generation in programming languages would consist of, but I know the initial LISP did not have an object system, closures, macros, or continuations.

I think Julia can handle macros. It's partial Lisp based.

Only if you're a CS brainlet that codes in ever language as if it was java.

>Julia can handle macros
Did I ever say it couldn't?

matlab is known to be slow unless you pay for that package that converts matlab code to C++.
For me, it's just better to know Rcpp or something

>Uses MATLAB
>Not a brainlet
Everyone I know who consistently uses MATLAB is a normie.

the main reason why I want to switch to Julia is because i'm tired of they python 3 2 split

That's basically what I meant. LISP keeps getting put through the transmorgrifier to become whatever the newest approach(es) to program language design require of a language. It's a tribute to both its flexibility and its proponents tenacity.

If you like Lisp try Julia

So what's the consensus so far, Julia or Python?

Use Python libraries in Julia for thinks like Twilio. Leave the number crunching and concurrency to Julia.

>So what's the consensus so far
>consensus
>on Veeky Forums
There isn't one. Odds are you won't have one language that is overwhelming better than the rest at any arbitrary task. You may have to chose one on secondary concerns: what's already available to your team, what do your team members have experience with, do you need to be able to publish your code and be sure others can duplicate both your environment and your results, or even which one produces the fastest fizzbuzz.

Julia makes it easy to prototype like Python but with added speed.

How hard is it to transition from Python to Julia?

Hehe, no, matlab is the best language, poorfags just can't admit it

>what is SageMath

If you know Python you know 75% of Julia already.

Hopefully, it is not the 75% that we all hate.
Does it have mutable data structures? If so, is everything passed by reference? Does it have a terrible object system?

docs.julialang.org/en/stable/manual/introduction/

Unbiased opinion
>Python for web/data/automation related problems
>C for hardware applications (unless you have highly specific contingencies, then ASM)
>C++/C#/Java can all be used for the game industry/niche programs
>Lua as embedded scripting

Pretty much every other language brings almost nothing to the table when you weigh it against the above.
>More documentation
>More support
>Constant language updates for better/more functionalilty

What is this LISP meme? I learned the language for my AI class because car and cdr are very natural ways to implement recursive tree searches. I saw that (efficient solving of branching search problems) as being its sole merit as a language. I admit, the notation being so close to lambda calculus feels great but I cant help but feel this ultra specialized thing is being forced to do things it wasn't made for. Is modern architecture even made to fully take advantage of car and cdr statements? If not, why even use this language?

unironically kill yourself

>innocent
that's a funny way of spelling terrorists fed by teh US

Julia has potential, but it needs to mature alot more before I think about using it.

UNIRONICALLY REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THIS BOARD! NORMIE! GET OUT!

"Just using C" stopped being a thing before you were born, kiddo.

You shilled on /g/ yesterday, why are you shilling here today?

You're a shit language with all sorts of issues regarding numerical accuracy. Totally unsuited for scientific computing.

>muhh numpy
>muhh pandas
>muhh keras
>muhh mpl
>muhh bokeh

>he actually pays for MATLAB

lel. Just pirate it. When the conversion to C language is done, nobody can backtrack that you actually used MATLAB !

>Are modern architectures even fully made to take advantage of memory allocation?

Matlab just uses BLAS and LAPACK routines, might as well just use these libraries for free (althrough they're heavily outdated - please don't use it).

JUST

Who's that bitch? No idea.

Bash me all you want but even C# beats most of those other kiddy script, idiotic languages

>worrying about Learning ten different shitty languages instead of just learning how to write elegant c++

Seriously, just stop. C++ is literally all you need.

>muh numpy
>muh keras

Maybe it is, but which one has the larger user base? The modules are what make simple high level languages like Python good. So if julia (whatever the fuck that is) is barely used by anyone, guess what? Modules are going to be slim picking.

It's too bad C++ has such garbage semantics. Who would want to use a language where semantics of one part of the program change when you change another part. It kind of defeats the point of modularity. C has its own problems, but it is a much more consistent language.

I have been using Julia for the past few months. I normally use MATLAB and Python for the scientific computing stuff that I do. Julia has been nice so far

What's a good modern book to help study C++?

LISP is not a language, it is a concept.

>unless you pay for that package that converts matlab code to C++.
First, no such package exists. Second, MATLAB has had default JIT compilation in the base release for several years.

Fuck you, R is comfy and wonderful.

Pic related. Was my textbook in CS1. I've recommended it many times to friends who expressed interest in programming. It's really well organized and easy to follow. Even if you had no programming knowledge at all, you could teach yourself all about C++ with just this.

The core of Julia is licensed with the most libertarian license though.