Too early for futurism

Too early for futurism

Anyone else happy we won't live long enough to upload our consciousness to the cloud? To become immortal? To have brain implants that augment our mental capacity?

This stuff is cool. It's amazing. And it will happen. But I don't want to take part and quite frankly I don't want the risks of these technologies existing to be forced upon me

There are new existential horrors awaiting with the advent of consciousness uploading.

Nowadays the worst that can happen to you is that you are kidnapped and tortured until you die

With consciousness uploading you could be kidnapped, uploaded to the cloud in some sort of permanent computational ledger like some abstract blockchain, and trapped in an infinite loop of terror and incomprehensible pain. It would probably just involve changing a few simulated neurons to transmit constant pain and fear. This would be a reality and it's existentially horrifying, moreso than anything that exists right now

I don't want to live in a world like that and I'm glad it won't happen before I die. Anyone else?

Yeah, conscious uploading might not even work with digital values. The brain relies on analogue signals to run. I would be OK with biological argumentation, like eliminating ageing or enhancing our cognitive abilities, but turning ourselves into robots is something I never want to see happen.

>uploading consciousness
>implying it wont merely make a clone but nobody will know

This.
And most people really overestimate the freedom of movement being an AI has. You could never leave your hard-drive. Ever. Copying something involves deleting it and recreating it elsewhere, which is OK for a word document, not so much for a person. This assumes that a truly conscious AI can actually exist.

It won't. You should think of this as gradually replacing your existing body with synthetic parts as the natural ones wear out. This way the transition will be seamless. Your younger self is quite literally dead, but you dont think of it that way because the transition to your older self was seamless, and because you still have (some) of your you ger self's memories. This will be no different.

That is if you keep the brain the same, as soon as you change the brain with an electronic part, you die.

First, you don't know that that's true. Second, parts of your brain died as connections were pruned during development, you changed as a person over years to reflect that. This will be like that except by gradually replacing dying grey matter with electronic componenets (or who knows, maybe they won't be electronic but some synthetic organic material)

Synthetic organic material, now your talking sense. We could genetically modify humans to grow this material instead of neurons, which would be much easier than manually replacing them. Essentially, we create a superior brain, that could match an AI for processing speed, but with none of the repercussions

>Uploading your consciousness to the cloud
Fuck that noise. This is hell right here. Unending hyperactive selfless experience of all others with no escape, privacy, solitude, silence, or suicide.

So who wants to start a pure human movement

The way I see it, the only way to seamlessly transition to a digital state without either dying or making a clone of yourself is to integrate hardware that becomes a part of your mind, so you use both your brain and its electrochemical analogue at the same time.

Then slowly destroy the biological brain while you're still conscious, cutting off those parts of your mind. So you'd briefly feel incredibly smart, and then less smart as the brain matter is taken away.

As long as you have continuity of experience it should be fine.

Or I'm wrong and you'd be embedded in a special kind of hell.

Futurism is here soon. 2050 is a reasonable prediction

>With consciousness uploading you could be kidnapped, uploaded to the cloud in some sort of permanent computational ledger like some abstract blockchain, and trapped in an infinite loop of terror and incomprehensible pain
Are you legit retarded?

> t. wishful thinker who will die a human, normal death sometime around 2050 with his iphone 60s with screen on every surface

No, are you? Clearly you lack an imagination and the ability to extrapolate repercussions

>Clearly you lack an imagination
Reddit fuck yeah! Have you seen the latest Michio Kaku video where he says we will all live in computers in 20 years? DAE thinks Elon Musk is modern day Tesla?

Did you even read the thread? I said I'm happy it probably won't happen within our lifetimes, but it will clearly have happened already 1,000 years from now or some arbitrarily long amount of time in the future

You're misrepresenting me completely, and feel free to do so because it only makes you look like a moron.

It won't happen in the near future. We know almost nothing about the brain works at the network level. All the science is working in the wrong direction and is more interested in publication than understanding. We have all the math and the tools but everyone willing to do the nitty gritty work has no vision. On one side, you have a bunch of biologist with incredibly advanced genetically encoded circuit analysis tools that underuse them with gross, population based techniques. On the other side, you have a computationally intensive field that does nothing but circle jerk itself over the newest network model without ever testing their hypothesis experimentally. I see at least 4 or 5 more years of qualitative garbage "Nature: Thalamic afferents contextualize responose of pyramidal neurons in ..."-papers before people wise up and we start to make any meaningful progress at all.

Holy jej

What a meme

>And it will happen

How can you be so sure? The sheer amount of variables that must be considered to predict immortality renders this question unfathomable. Until you are absolutely sure that immortality will materialize, your fears are misguided and imaginary.