How do I get my friends to like literature?

I am in late high school (yes I'm 18) and I have friends that read, but only YA tier stuff. My family are very Veeky Forums and I grew up surrounded by books and started reading the classics young, and bypassed the YA phase.

I've suggested books to them, even Jane Austen and the like (romance element ties in with YA) but they all complain that the language is too hard, that the classics are sexist/racist/whatever (so I'm friends with some borderline SJWs, there is literally no one else in my school worth bothering with) and that the plots just aren't as interesting as John Green/Divergent/generic YA romance #7.

How do I change this? I have no one to talk to about books outside of my parents, and it's getting really annoying.

Get new friends

The rest of my school are sport obsessed bogans who actively recoil at words longer than 3 syllables and haven't picked up a book in years. There is no one else.

It's probably safe to now say your friends are eternally pleb, the current-but-not-final mass productions of the late-capitalist hegemonic Culture Industry.

Check'd

Also, you can't; just realize that they don't have the same interests as you.

Stick with us until you get to college, and then you'll meet people with similar interests.

Turn the focus internal senpai, stop worrying about having someone to talk to about books and just reflect on them

also
Or just fucking use the internet to discuss Veeky Forums you chachski

kill them

>having friends
why? they just waste your time, time you could be using to read books

Because I oscillate wildly between misanthropy and soul crushing loneliness, and having some friends is a good stop gap for the loneliness.

Stop being friends with vagina people

>and soul crushing lonelines
get a tenga masturbator

Checkin those quads
Also 18 but in college. I had the same problem so i just picked my smartest friend and started reading books at the same time as him. We discussed them together while he was still in the phase you described your friends being in. Worked well, now he Veeky Forums.

The 'penis people' of my school are neanderthals. I mean, I'm not opposed to sport and hold two black belts, but that is all they think about, getting drunk, skanks and football.

In which martial arts?

>I am in late high school (yes I'm 18)
Don't worry about it, you'll have an entire new set of people within a year.

Where's your life going after you graduate?

>the 'penis people' of my school are neanderthals.

I remember being an 18 year old loser, good times.

That's because they're kids. Kids are idiots, you included

people who care about canon and classics at that age are one in a million

uni unplebs people. there they get people of rank and authority telling them the greeks are dope and super deep and you will be something if you read doorstoppers a, b and c.

the sudden change in "taste" is pretty cringy to witness. i know this guy whose YA infested shelf filled with meme lit and greeks/phil stuff over the course of two semesters, i mean bless his heart but the it's so obviously not genuine .. i suspect he posts here too

> go to bed, peter

Shameful kek

Traditional karate and Judo.
I used that phrasing because the person I replied to used 'vagina people'. It was in context.

Honestly it's only because both my parents are readers, and not readers of Lee Child and Anna Jacobs. Every room has a bookshelf filled with literature and history books (my dad did history at uni).

So the consensus is just, wait till university, you can't change a thing? Well, that's dissapointing.

>trying to change people
you really are young

Not their inherent personalities, just help them to discover that there's more to read out there.

>that the classics are sexist/racist/whatever (so I'm friends with some borderline SJWs,
No, you're friends with literal SJW's. People who believe this should honestly kill themselves. You're probably a cuck if you unironically hang out around people like this. Kys. Literature is a solitary hobby anyways. If you can't find most of your enjoyment alone, you're just posturing and want to be known as a Veeky Forums person.

It's semi ironic. I just don't talk about politics with them, nor do they think about it much. That was just their answer when I asked.

Yes, reading is solitary, yes I'm an introvert and enjoy my own company, I'd just like one or two people my own age to talk about books with.

>i'm an introvert
>has friends

Just throw Veeky Forums your skype or something.

Eternal Plebitude of the Plebeian Mind. I'm afraid there's no curing it.

>bogans
People from Australia and New Zealand cannot be lit.

He said he's an introvert, not an aspie.

James you massive asshole, you were the one who introduced me to those books!

By reading it and genuinely enjoying it and discussing your interests with them without the intent of trying to sell them or convince them to do things your way or like the things you like.

The best way to lead is by example, not proselytizing

literally no difference

There is a difference. Some people prefer and cherish time to themselves but are still capable of functioning in a social setting and understanding conversational context and the human emotions expressed by others.

An aspie cannot.

Take a page out of 1984.
Use rats.

>pro book 1984