Has anyone here quitted their PhD?

Has anyone here quitted their PhD?

>quitted

I quitted in your mom and just look what happened.

Elon Musk quitted a Physics PhD.

Because he's an extremely lucky loser

I quitted before I beginned

I stretched mine out for 10years and the school still kept providing me with stipends while i worked on my business.

1/3 of phd's does

Not yet, but who knows what'll happen if I don't make any progress in another 6 months...

I can't quit, or I'll have to go back to my shithole country.

And so, a new meme was born.

Why should I care whether the pleb mass knows if my subject of research exists or not?

I didn't realize so many people didn't know what math is, or that bartenders make 300k starting.

w-where do you work

My grandma was big on quilting, but she just made blankets.

>PhD
>quitted
yes should quitted asaped

he doesn't

Because the pleb mass decides funding for research. And they think soap on TV is more important than new medicine etc.

Remember the pleb masses are fond of expressions like "this is too important to leave to the experts".

t.Former researcher

my supervisor tried to make me quit, but I didn't

Quit a CS phd at UChicago last year
Starting a new one in a different field this Fall

any job i want

Yes, I quit it after the viva.

Chuckled

Subsidy baby about to get cut off.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs quitted school altogether.

PhD's are pretty much losers that cannot do real work.

obscurely memed

the math bar

did the viva not go well or was it unrelated

It really shouldn't be that obscure unless you're new.

Starting a DPhil (i.e. PhD) at Oxford this year, scared I'm gonna get buttblasted by hard courses and drop out. If I enjoy the research I'll be fine, right?

grad courses are easy

What's it for? Something useless?

Particle physics
I'm scared about advanced qft in particular. There's no exam though I don't think

QFT calculations take a long-ass time but I didn't think it was too incomprehensible.

I'm almost a year in now and I think about it every few days. I was blissfully ignorant for the first 8 months or so, but it the work load hits you hard suddenly. It's fucking insane.

are you me?

I think about it every so often. I have zero desire to go into research anymore and long distance with my girlfriend sucks major ass. I'm just trying to finish this shit up asap so I can get out of here

I quitted after they gave me my diploma and took my keys away

I took 15 hours of graduate pure math courses as an undergrad, and I came out of it wanting to burn the university system to the ground, because a) all my young professors confided to me that their research didn't represent what they found interesting and important (gotta get tenure somehow though), and b) it became obvious there was no time for the kind of noodling about in other areas that had led me to independently discover a published result on a topic very far away from my main interests.

I decided to go into quant trading instead. Zero regrets.

I didnt "quitted" but I regret going into it in the first place.
I simply dont have the network connections to land a job so might as well stock shelves in my local store.

omg this. I am in month 13 and have been working and producing results (I did not get the 'one year of getting to grips with things' that most do) at a steady pace, but in the last month my work load has more than doubled, its rough as fuck. I have not considered quitting at all, but I have been low as fuck for the last few weeks and it is making me wonder whether I will be one of those "x% of PhD candidates end up on SSRI's" statistics

Pure math degree user turned to potential CS PhD. What do I need to know to get into programming at a high name bank?

I am mostly into programming. Scala, Java, Haskell currently interest me. Curious what math / programming junk i need if I want a break from academia

borned*

quitted*

Hang on in there, user. Yes it is though but believe me, you will feel far worse for the rest of your life if you quit.

Good post

bump

>quitted

99.9999% of people are retards, anything that could interest me as an occupation they probably wouldn't be able to understand

i dont get this meme

this is a good thread

Just a reminder to read PhDComics.com.

Any other relevant comics out there?

non-english student here. What does ”grad-student” mean exactly? bachelors or master? is PHD post-grad?

after bachelor's degree, going back to school to pursue a further degree.

Usually it's a masters or PhD

>or
You can get PhD for a bachelors in the US? How does that even work. PhD means you have to discovered something new and published a paper in your field right?

Old doctorates were like awards for new discoveries. Hopefully you do that for your PhD too but all too often the result is "this did not work!"

What is valuable is that you learn the craft of research, how to plan and execute a research project, how to analyse and think critically about what you do, see and conclude. And more.

My research field imploded. Thankfully the skills gained have served me well. And I managed to pay down my student loans. (phew!)

In which country is this horrific statistics the norm!?

I sometimes don't think PHD don't hang around here. I always imagine people here are teens and early to mid 20's getting their bachelors.

I'm 2nd year PhD student, I watch in the shadows and spread knowledge to brainlets that spout bullshit in my subject areas.

I'd be interested in seeing the true demographics of Veeky Forums.
Posters here would lead you to believe they're all ivy professors with a nobel prize.

There are exceptions. I have a PhD in Physics and I think there is another user too with a similar background.

>I watch in the shadows and spread knowledge to brainlets that spout bullshit in my subject areas.
Yeah, I must admit I occationally indulge in that type of amusement.

>I'd be interested in seeing the true demographics of Veeky Forums.
I would too. How about a strawpoll?

>Borred with this alreaddey

>Strawpoll
Later tonight I'll put up a thread. The data will likely be invalid (who would just lie on the internet?) but will do anyway.

Engineering major detected.

this
Also yes, I didnt even finish the first year of the sociology Ph.D program before I realize I hated it. Now I'm in a fucking Psy.D program

I haven't quitted yet, but I once quilted a quitter if that qounts..

>extremely specialized field with few openings has a higher salary than more general fields with more openings

why does this image bother anybody

shit I didnt know my situation was so easily identified with.

I can only play off this "haha im just a first year so im incompetent in X aspect" for so long I feel. Eventually I feel like people will figure out that im actually just retarded and I dont know what im doing...

how was the job search following your PhD and what field did you study?

I saw that mine was heading in that direction. Supervisor was not giving me time to think about the research.
The "work load" was insane from the get go, and not related in any way to research. I was hoping it would relent, so I could have some time to think about the problems, and maybe get creative, but it did not
The effort required to keep her retarded system afloat was ridiculous.
So I quit. No regrets. The dishonour of allowing one's name to appear beside a well known asshat in any publications was not worth it.

Fuck, I'm dead