>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

bookzz.org/
chelseapitcher.blogspot.com/2014/04/diversify-your-shelves.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are David Gemmell's standalone fantasy books worth reading?

As far as I know he only wrote four:
>Knights of Dark Renown
>Morningstar
>Dark Moon
>Echoes of the Great Song

What are books with evil protagonist? Not necessary full sauron-evil-for-the-sake-of-evil but defiantly not a good person. Also victims of circumstances don't count, person should clearly should make choices of bad path him/herself, not "choose" between dick in the ass and becoming assassin (Brent Week, you are disappointment).

Mark Lawrence. Two trilogies, same universe, same time period in fact. First one is edgy murderous asshole protagonist, second one is funny lying asshole protagonist.

is it pure fantasy?
i've heard it is post-apocalypse with sci fi elements but mostly fantasy

inb4 some neckbeard says Black Company

Do you guys think it's overdone having one character seduce another under false pretenses just to gain information?

Plotting out a story about a company town which is owned by a monolithic trading company where the main character is an agent sent by the state to investigate the rumors that the company bigwigs are actually looking to using their power to make themselves kings, and my first instinct was to have her sleep her way to the information she's after but that might be too on the nose.

>changed to shill a god
You did good cosmere-kun

"Magic is science that has yet to be explained"

Stop trying to make this a thing. We are not your fucking sounding board. Get out.

>he says as he keeps forcing his atrocious memes
wow mr photoshop man it's so subtle

You really love your word art don't you?

Thomas Covenant? Dude's a rapist at least.

Went in for a long over due visit to Powell's City of Books and found out I had somehow missed three Brandon Sanderson books. Had no idea sequels to The Alloy of Law had come out, or a compilation of Cosmere short stories for that matter.

The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R Scott Bakker and to a lesser extent its sequel series The Aspect Emperor

>Kellhus
>protagonist
What, like 20% of the book or less was from Kellhus's POV, right? Akka is the true protagonist, even if he is a cuck.

Kellhus is the villain protagonist of the first two books in the series at the very least.

Then from the third book on practically none of it is in his perspective.

Kellhus did nothing wrong.

Go to sleep, Proyas

Except Esmi

Where's the go to for ebook downloads? I'm looking for MOBI format for my kindle.

PowerPoint is the best.

>2017
>not using gimp
I'm not the one who tell the wannabe authors to fuck off on a regular basis. It used to be okay bouncing ideas but these guys are making it a regular thing.

They know if they go in the writing general or post in outer lit they will get no yous, so they return like a stray dog who got fed a few times. Never feed strays.

Honeypot is spying 101

Happens in every bond film

Use the sticky and calibre

>bookzz.org/

>DONT TRUST HI-

thank

>It used to be okay bouncing ideas but these guys are making it a regular thing.

If only there was a board for people who like to read and write. Shame we all have to piggyback on this philosophy board.

o w8

They make us love! THEY NAKE US LOVE!

If they keep this up I'm gonna start writing catgirl stories. No one wants to see that. I don't want to see that.

Okay, I've thought that story basis over and here's what I've got

>the heroine is a street urchin who steals anything, even stuff she doesn't need, because she wants anything and everything
>one day she hears of the trickster goddess three-tailed bast, whose magic collar is said to grant anyone who wears it the power to control colors, and decides to steal the collar for herself
>after baiting the goddess with a bed of catmint watered with holy water, she manages to steal the collar, but not one to be outdone three tailed bast steals her humanity in retaliation, turning her into a tailless cat
>the godddess is impressed with the young thief, and sets her on three tests to prove she is worthy of the collar and smart enough to use it. with each completed task she will gain one of the goddess's tails
>after completing the three tasks and earning all three tails, Bast shows the street urchin her own reflection, revealing that she has become the new three-tailed Bast
>Bast uses the stolen humanity and turns into a girl, which she runs away with and is never found again

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether I should make it so that there's a time loop involved, and three-tailed bast was the street urchin all along. I don't want to do that because of my adherence to my personal mythology, but it would certainly be a fun plot twist

It used to be inoffensive with your floating cutouts and bad fonts but now you're trying to cement your brand or something.

There are plenty of threads dedicated to wannabe writers. Go find one.

The ending is already fine, leave out the time loop.

People talked about writing in this general long before you started churning out your stupid memes.

Slick Des Grieux in the Hammer's Slammers story "The Warrior."

Also Joachem Steuben, he's not a main character but shows up in a lot of the stories leading the White Mice, the Slammer's intel/internal affairs/secret police department.

Black Company is a way better recommendation than any of the responses he's gotten so far.

>fanfic OC: the character

>stars in 31 New York Times best-selling novels
>you're just a virgin posting about fantasy novels on an image board for Japanese cartoons

There are 31 of these things?

no

So im reading the black company and im about to finish the first book of the south. Should i read The Silver spike or just keep reading the mainline stuff. I like Croker and the main guys and the notion of a book focusing on Raven, Silent and Darling doesnt really appeal.

>whiny
Fair.
>entitled
Somewhat. Though it's not like they didn't all work their asses off at Brakebills.
>depressed
Being depressed is a real problem and having lots of shit doesn't fix that.
>cocksucker
There's nothing to suggest that Quentin sucked any cocks.
>literal homosexual tendencies
Pretty obviously he's bi at most. Or was so hammered he just let Eliot kiss him because he didn't want to stop fucking Janet.

Also, they all grow quite a bit between the first and second books.

don't forget him being incredibly butthurt when he walks in on Elliot is slobbing on someone else's knob instead of his.

Incredibly butthurt is a pretty strong way of putting it when it was one, maybe two lines about how he wished Eliot were attracted to him and then, "wait, no, I don't think I could actually have sex with him, and then he'd be upset."

And this is when he was ALREADY quite butthurt that Eliot was ignoring him.

That said, I would fuck the whole main group in the show, male and female.

chelseapitcher.blogspot.com/2014/04/diversify-your-shelves.html

Do you make sure you don't just read books by old white guys?

I occasionally read books by middle aged white guys

Actively? No. But it works out such that I don't, because some books interest me that weren't written by old white guys.

This is why we need drumpf

No "To KILL a God" in the charts?
Why?

Kill yourself.

It's literally the boku no pico of /sffg/, there's no reason why it shouldn't be in the charts

Are there any books with an evil little girl?

Besides the first Anita Blake, and she wasn't a protag.
But that isn't a problem.

These are getting obnoxious. This one and the /pol/ one, especially.

I was the one that churned out the meme not that user and I was here since day one of this general. You wannabe authors are getting fucking annoying and making the thread go sanic fast and we (who actually read) can't discuss shit because it all about muh cat thief, muh moth plague, muh dungeon crawler, muh orphan circus slave, muh aliens, muh dad in a cabal, etc.

Just fuck off already. It's sffg not sffwg. You gave you faggets a few scraps and now you behave like you are entitled to it. Make / go into one of the writing threads.

There have been 4 threads in the past 5 days, including this new one. There was just a period of two hours in which no one posted at all. I don't really think this thread is moving too fast.

I told you fagget. 3 IPs

What you're doing is against the rules but what the other guy's doing isn't.
Just for your information

Enjoy

I'm sorry this subtle pic of writing advice fags trying to break into our general offends you pol-kun. Didn't mean to trigger.

Threads lasted days. Now it's finishing in 1 day.(maybe school is closed?)

Is she evil because she doesn't want to be a slave, wear rags, and have dirty hair?

What did I do that is against the rules? Counting is against the rules now? And so what if I read 3 interplanetary books? What's the problem?

One thread every one day is fine, and we're getting substantially less than that. I understand fast-moving threads can bump preferred discussion too high up and replace it with a new thread too quickly, but that simply isn't the case here.

Does it matter? Read the fucking evil little girl protagonist and leave us be for a while.

>Announcing reports
>Announcing you're going to use proxies to report 3 times

Meanwhile the other guy
>Recommends a book

Fuck off and kill yourself Stevian.

I'm not the user who asked for evil little girl protagonists, or for any little girl protagonists, for that matter. I just saw the question and the answer and thought I'd ask what made the character evil.

I'm not Stevian and I'm not the guy who keeps recommending Stevian's book or putting Stevian's book in the charts
You appear schizophrenic

Yeah you are. Kill yourself.

Yeah but I(being the autist I am) read the entire thread.. every single time. That is why these writing fags are getting to me.

I come in my free time when I'm not reading and spend an hour reading through 150+ posts, some being huge ass paragraphs about the world/character they are fleshing out. It used to be infrequent, but these guys are posting everyday now(sometimes multiple times a day).

If we don't stamp it out now other wannabe authors will come in and we won't be able to discuss shit. It wasn't a problem when it was that one guy (who I think said he gave up) but now we have at least 3 wannabes in the general.

What happens when the writing advice fags in outer lit starts posting their tg tabletop or twilight - hunger games knockoffs? We won't be able to discuss shit.

You see some of them are already entitled telling us to fuck off when they are posting asking for writing advice in a discussion thread?

Where in my post says anything about reports?
Stop manufacturing stories and slandering my posts.

I understand your slippery slope argument. If this thread was active like some of the top threads on Veeky Forums or /b/ (God forbid) I'd agree. But if we excised the blogposts the shitposts and the writer posts, we'd have very very slow threads indeed. The current speed is okay, and if it picks up significantly we can turn on the aspiring authors then.

Oh. Thought you were the autist. It's because she is a man hater. It's a good book if you can deal with the repetitious braid tugging, and other phrases.
I however couldn't, so I dropped the series at book one. Not touching the sequels.

>But if we excised the blogposts the shitposts and the writer posts
Why are you talking about random things no one said anything about? The only ones that aren't allowed to post here are writers, because a thread for them already exists. That's all. Everything else stays like usual.

But the writers are talking about sci fi and fantasy, albeit their own. The shitposters and blogposters are far worse, not only in terms of content but also in quantity.

>schizophrenic
You know it's more than one person who is pissed that you keep posting that shit book in our OP right?

Now it's getting annoying, you don't want me to make a poorly shooped wordart pic showing how you are annoying us do you? I don't want to waste the time doing it, the anons in this thread don't want to burn their eyes seeing it.

Just stop m-kay?

The sci-fi /fantasy they are talking about is one where they are the only readers. How the fuck can we discuss shit? It's be like playing the imagination game.

The shitposting is on topic so it's okay. It's only when they try to troll us books that there is a problem. When the thread first started we had a guy recommending a book for everything people asked for(can't recall the book) but we finally got him banned. He stopped doing it/left because he saw he couldn't troll here.

I wouldn't ban the wannabe authors, they are not trolling but they don't belong in here. If they want to discuss books and ask if those books would work in x that is a way for them to stay on topic. But we aren't a fucking sounding board. Let them post their ideas in outer lit.

That's unique to all of Veeky Forums and has nothing to do with the topic of separating two extremely different userbases. That's like saying a thread about football should allow basketball as well because "shitposting" is worse than the addition of it.
Writers have a thread and there is absolutely nothing stopping them from using it. The only people who actively post outside of it are people afraid of criticism from people who actually have writing experience (thus write garbage) and/or want to advertise (like Stevian). Neither are wanted here.

what about the ones that want specific discussions about their scifi/fantasy stuff? The whole point of lit is a place for readers and writers. But by all means shit on the shit writers and shills.

>The whole point of lit is a place for readers and writers.
Yes, and the point of this general is for readers to discuss books they read. We can't have a discussion when only one person read the book. Unless they are going to read to us while our heads are in their lap and ask us questions afterwards.

The blogposters (mostly tripfags) instead of posting on goodreads so others can see when they go to that particular book, they write huge reviews that take at least 30 minutes to formulate and type. The threads 404 eventually and all their works are lost. Never understood tripfags.

Not the guy you responded to btw.

>their
Why don't you make a discussion about books most people read and can relate with instead and get ideas from that? You want to talk about your magic systems? Bring up a book you've read with one, write a good critique and what you like and dislike about it etc. and people will respond. It's so easy to make discussion without making it exclusive to only yourself. Quoting the content of your book and saying "please fix this" is boring because no one can relate.
>The whole point of lit is a place for readers and writers
This is /sffg/ however. Invading places that clearly don't want you is obnoxious. You are free to make a thread on Veeky Forums whenever you wish, and people who want to interact with you will respond.

I'm not the one posting my shit in this thread, just being contrary.

See this post you made

Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.

Depends on how its written. As a concept, no I do not believe it to be overdone. Why? Because espionage through seduction will always be relevant as it has been ongoing for millenia.

>I am literally too autistic to skip writing advice posts

Before you read any of NPR's top 100 remember that most of them are extremely problematic.

>I am literally too autistic to click on the right thread

These threads are too fast lately.

I don't go on /pol/, I just find that your dull and repetitive posts drag down the already low quality of these threads.

>I do not understand the concept of outer Veeky Forums

>Spending eternity hopping living inside old quad amputees

>Thought you were the autist.
...because you never understood that the little girl protagonist was a joke, pulled by multiple anons? How is it possible to project this hard?

>Quoting the content of your book and saying "please fix this" is boring because no one can relate.
I agree wholeheartedly. Writers should post short concepts only, link prose in a pastebin only by request, and generally only be asking if someone else has done their thing before.

Better than being too beta to avoid damnation.

Just want to say thank you to whoever recommended House of Blades. This is some badass shit.

I was having trouble settling on a book I could really get into but the writing in this one is at just the right level for me.

Is Foundation another one of those sci fi books with no characterization and substandard writing?

It's dated, yes.