I guess a few good replies are worth getting banned for a while

I guess a few good replies are worth getting banned for a while...

I am currently 14, in 8th grade. For the last 5 years I didn't try in school and felt suicidal nearly everyday because I felt hopeless. It was kind of a vicious cycle, I felt hopeless because of bad grades, I got bad grades because I felt hopeless. However, earlier this year I was put on Zoloft. It helped a lot. I tried a lot harder in school and got all As and Bs last quarter, except for gym...

I felt more hopeful, and like I had a future. I will admit, I am intelligent. More intelligent than at least 90 percent of my grade. However, my grades make me feel fucking horrible. For high school I'm being put in all college prep classes. It sickens me because I know I can do honors integrated science and algebra 1.

Algebra 1... that's just depressing that I'm taking that next year. I know algebra though... I went through all of algebra and much more math on khan academy and other websites. But other kids, that are really fucking stupid and don't give a shit about math, kids who actually hate math, are in fucking geometry right now.

It's hard to keep in mind that I am smart when everyone around me is getting good grades and are in honors classes.

I've always loved science. Always. Mainly biology, anatomy, and chemistry. All I want in my life is to have a good career. That's all I want. I don't care how lonely, how poor, how ugly, how socially awkward I am. I just want a good career.

Since I was four or five I wanted to get into biology. I still fucking love biology. But pathology also looks awesome. So does anesthesiology...
But the job that appeals to me most is surgery.

I would literally kill to be a surgeon, I'd do whatever it takes. I just want a good career. I want to prove to myself that I am smart, that I can do it, and most of all, that I am worth something.

Other urls found in this thread:

foxnews.com/health/2016/06/09/most-antidepressants-dont-work-for-young-patients-study-finds.html
psychologytoday.com/blog/obsessively-yours/201001/five-reasons-not-take-ssris
dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4197460/Could-antidepressants-damage-brain.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I should not have to take biology. Put me in AP biology I've been studying that for five fucking years. The school system is really shitty, I'm sure you guys already know that though.

I'm just tired of feeling hopeless. I want to be a surgeon. Can I still become one? Should I kill myself? Thank you so much for reading, please reply before I get banned.

Stop browsing this board and start studying.

Just study what you want on your own. Public schools are so shit that you won't learn anything anyway. They are not designed to be centers of education, they are designed to make people feel like they started on the same social playing field. If you really are smart and willing to learn, you'll likely find a good professor in college who will work with you and get you where you need to be.

I'm already learning what I want on my own. The problem is, it doesn't matter how much I know on my own, if I don't do good in school then I can't have a good career...

Btw do you guys approve of me?

Well, for starters, you should know that being a doctor is more memorization than skill or intelligence. If you don't have the dedication then you may as well do something else, that shit takes like 8+ years. Obviously yes you can still become a surgeon, but you're not going to be putting your intelligence to the test or making split second calls that save your patients life or anything like that. You're going to be cutting them open in an exact way and they moving some stuff around inside them and then sewing them back up, like a robot.

I don't know if you'd be a good surgeon or not, all I know is that if you don't know what you're getting into, and if you haven't really considered other paths like child rearing, teaching, police, etc, then you're just slowly killing yourself. What specifically about it is that makes you want to be a surgeon? It being difficult? It being a career normies look up to? Money?

Nigga, you don't learn just what you want on school. You won't even learn just what you want at university. Start studying harder and putting effort on school.

I just... like working with my mind and hands. I'm aware that it doesn't take intellect, just hard work and memorization. However, my intellect will make it all much better. I've always loved doing dissections, my last one was a pig heart, my next one is a pig kidney. The feeling you get after doing it is so rewarding if it's a hard one like the heart dissection. I'm very willing to put the time and effort needed to become a surgeon. I don't want to be a teacher, especially police. I know that my career has to be science or math, or I will hate it. Physics is cool too

There's numerous careers that use your mind and hands, I'd say construction, tinkering with machines, art, etc. The way you talk about intellect and you want to do something but don't have the dedication and are depressed, have you tried ART? It uses your mind and hands, it would probably help with your depression, it lets you express your intelligence, etc. You can still be a doctor even if your early grades are shit (I'll let you in on a secret, medical schools have their heads up their asses these days. They don't take in the people with the biggest grades, but the people with the most unique traits who do lots of extra cirricular activities. You should also boost your grades, but that's still one of the least important aspects). But yeah, try art dude, seriously

Thank you for this post. I have not tried art recently, unless you consider math art. When I was younger I liked drawing though. The most artistic thing I do now is piano. It helps with depression. I do have some cool ideas for art though. I will definitely take this afvice, thanks again. Also, as an extra curricular I'm making a marine biology club. Would that look good?

You should have some activities you can list both within and outside the realm of biology. The only really 'mandatory' activity is some volunteer work at hospitals, it really helps you get used to the atmosphere and learn some things while you're there. Anyway, art is particularly great because you can either be minimalist or hardcore with 80+ hours on one painting. It might improve your work ethic even

Don't worry, you still have a lot of time before college. If you are as smart as you say you are, you will be getting great grades in your classes and you will get moved up to honors track. If your school has some type of waiver system to move up to honors you should try that. You should also talk to your guidance councilor about this. There might be a test you can take so you can move up to geometry.
Really all that matters in high school is that you get a good GPA so you can get accepted to a good college and get good aid. Don't completely slack off and do some extracurriculars and you'll be golden.
You shouldn't feel hopeless. You have 4 years of high school to prove how smart you are and get accepted into a good uni. Also lighten up a bit and try to focus on more than just your career. You're only 14 and you still have high school, pre med, med school, and a residency ahead of you. Keep and open mind and make some friends.

Okay, next year I'm doing cross country. So I guess here are my extra curriculars I have planned so far:

1. President of marine biology club.

2. Volunteer work at hospital.

3. Volunteer work at aquarium.

4. Robotics club member.

5. On cross country team.

If I do all those and get decent grades in HS,.am I good?

Medical schools don't care about HS. Get into a decent college, get good grades, and find research opportunity in the medical field (scribing or working as a paramedic). You could try shadowing a doctor/surgeon in a year or two if your still interested in that career path.

hey bud. 26 here, and ive ben suicidal as well. I was in the same boat as you except IN COLLGE. I wasted three years as an ag major getting shit grades and feeling hopeless. Parents pretty much disowned me. I changed my major to petroleum engineering and started working my ass off. Im now a senior with a 3.2 engineering gpa, but still depressed as fuck. I do have 1 warm and fuzzy feeling though that keeps me going, and that the success I have achieved.

i'm not gonna take away from your miseries and share mine, becausethis is about YOU right now. Here are some things that will help you

#1 is make the right kind of friends and acquaintences if you wanna do good in school. This is rule #1. There will be oxygen thiefs in your classes, and those are who complain too much, miss assignments, and are generally poor students. Find the group or people that are doing the best in your classes and buddy up with them. Get their number, help each other out with assignmemts, and most IMPORTANTLY mimick their habits. After a while, YOU will be the one that your classmates look up to. cant stress enough. For example, kids that wanna do ivy league or go to prestigious colleges.

#2 clubs, teams or societies. See if your school has NHS and join it. see if theres a premed club or robotics, rocketrt whtever club.

#3 sit in the front of the class and ask questions

#4 you may want to be a surgeon now, but you might fall in love with some other field. Dont pidgeonhole yourself into something that you may not want to do.

#5 you have a shitty gym grade? I hope you arent overweight. I believe this is more of a statistical thing, but all of the highest performing students in our college of engineering are Veeky Forums.

#5 dont do it for the money. If you wanna be a surgeon because you feel that is your calling, great. I saw many of my classmates drop out because they wanted that $100000 salary right after college and gave fuck all about applied mathematics or chemistry

Thank you :) this helps a lot. I feel much better reading these. I definitely will try very hard in HS.

Yes

Thank you so much for writing this, I'm crying you guys are really kind and helpful. I have a shitty gym grade because I'm very ah... frail. I'm not overweight, underweight actually. I'm trying to improve my cardio with biking, think it's working. By doing cross country will help I'm sure

you might burn yourself out. pick 2 or 3 that you really wanna do and just chill with it. If you get to where you can adequately perform well and enjoy all of these things, then go for more.

Man, honestly, you're only 14 years old. There's a lot of time for you, just do your best on your classes and study harder for now, no matter what kind of degree you choose on university, you won't enjoy everything there too. You're worrying too much.

Marine biology, hospital, and aquarium :3

I am... I will definitely be studying harder. Especially in HS. Thanks for the positive post

>biology
>science

Biology is science -,- get off my thread

it's not

How's it not a science?

it's nothing but memorization

Holy fuck no it's not this same argument is going on in that octopus thread. There's a shit ton of experimenting and research to get the things that are memorized and there's just so much more than memorization. If you agree that chemistry is a science biology is too...

you are a victim of brainwashing. too bad.

You're a fucking retard. Do your best OP, I'm a biologist and it's great. Do not limit yourself though, you might fall in love with another area at some point, you're still young.

also
>chemistry
>science

I'm trying not to get triggered your not going to ruin my good mood from previous responses, just please ctrl w and go to a different thread...

just saying you will be disappointed. do a real science like physics instead.

Thank you user, you're very right.

I'll do it as a hobby

you bet buddy. Those are just some of the things I wish I could have told the 8th grade me. I can see you doing great if you follow what all of these anons have mentioned.

cross country is a great start to becoming fit. It will also help immensly with your depression, and provides an avenue for you to make solid relationships. I think its a great move and i'm impressed that you are making that decision.

one thing though that I will share is that I have always been considered smart etc. and I know that I am smart just like you. That didnt help me too much in the academic system though. I had to painstakingly hone my study skills, and figure out how I learned best. these skills are definitely representative of the difference between an A and a B, which absolutely means fuck all in the realm of intelligence, but it does get you those good grades.

Also, dont party, or become a party person. I have several friends from highschool that got into great colleges, were set on becoming doctors, engineers, physicists, and became DUDE WEED LMAO or party animals and fucked it all up. Once and a while is ok, but dont make it a habit to hang out with those kinds of people. Guaranteed way to fuck your future if you want to become something great.

Do good, make us proud, and beat the hell out of your classes.

research science institute. not many people know about it, but they require dedicated students. the competition should be fierce especially in a small pool, but you may have a chance if you apply yourself.

solid

cardio kills gains. go Veeky Forums and you will develop discipline if taking the Veeky Forums route hasn't already done that to you.

nigga quit giving biology a hard time. Its a science as much as anything else. Just because there's no "muh equations" for most biomedical applications doesnt mean the field doesn't rely heavily on empirical data from said physics and chemistry. You sound like a butthurt freshman engineering major.

there is quite a lot of physics that are involved with biology. Particularly biomechanics

Thanks :) I really hope I don't become a party person. I'm staying far away from drugs in my life except for weed, and maybe LSD in my much, much older years. Like when I'm dying. I will make each class my bitch :)

Also, feel free to add me on telegram, my username is lochness208 you're really nice and I'd love to talk to u more

You have to kill the dragons you have neglected to get the thing of great value. Because there are monster lurking ready to eat you.

get accepted to medical school, talk to a military army/navy recruiter and the govt will pick up the bill for medical school

Niqqa just fucking study. I remember when I was 15 and thought I had everything figured out, and believe me, that feeling passes when you actually begin studying. You realise you're actually a brainlet and tens of thousands of undergrads have done what you are right now and you aren't even that clever and you have so much to still learn. Just study man, there's a huge world outside Khan and Wikipedia

How is this kid not underage banned? Go speak to your parents or a guidance counselor about this

>All I want in my life is to have a good career. That's all I want. I don't care how lonely, how poor, how ugly, how socially awkward I am. I just want a good career.
fuck I miss being 14

>I don't care how lonely, how poor, how ugly, how socially awkward I am. I just want a good career.
These are mutually exclusive.
The harsh lesson in life for introverted and ""weird"" people is that social skills are significantly more important then your grades.

The best thing you can possibly do is not only to study hard but to also be social.
Knowing people is always helpful, whether it is in college and you need help with something (either from a professor or another student) or if you are looking for a job. It can be your free pass through a lot of troubles.

Most Antidepressants Don't Work For Young Patients, Study Finds": >foxnews.com/health/2016/06/09/most-antidepressants-dont-work-for-young-patients-study-finds.html

Psychology Today talks about the newest studies in their article "Five Reasons Not To Take SSRI's": >psychologytoday.com/blog/obsessively-yours/201001/five-reasons-not-take-ssris

Anyone who's been following the most recent studies knows that SSRI's do lots of toxic damage to the body (and brain), while affecting depression about as much as a tic-tac. dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4197460/Could-antidepressants-damage-brain.html

Psychiatry is 99% psuedoscience, and 99% of it's supporters are "belivers" and frantic placebo-effected sophists.

Fuck off underage
Kill yourself stupid little faggot
YOU WILL NEVER MAKE IT

you're in the 8th grade you stupid cunt. Stop whining

That's not very nice.

Oh shut it you fucktard.
Those of us that are functional human beings really hate your kind.
How about you kill yourself and leave that poor kid alone.

he's right though. that kid is not a special snowflake and the sooner he gets to realize this, the better for HIS sake.