Hi , Veeky Forums! Future psychiatrist here...

Hi , Veeky Forums! Future psychiatrist here , I just wanted to ask if there are any good books you've read about psychiatry , non-academic or academic , psychological books to ensure a better understanding of thoughts , etc.

I know this might belong to /wsr/ but I know you guys read a shitload and maybe you can give me some recommendations.

My diary desu

Anyone else , maybe more serious this time with an actual title of an actual good book written by an actual author ?

The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra

Thanks! From it's description , seems a solid book.

Start with the Greeks.

On the normal and pathological by Canguilhem you will find surprisingly key to much medical stuff. It's very relevant to psychology too.

There was an interesting recent slightly poppy one on left and right brain but I'll have to look up the title.

Well , Greeks are memes as I can see in this board.

Also , I can't find that book translated , sadly. Anything else you've got there , bud?

Bump

Judging by the way you're spacing your commas you're a retard.

Thanks for the bump.

Homer and Dostoevsky.

Any book?

Greeks are not memes bro. Read or gtfo.

Ok , bro. Gimmie those juicy titles and I will read.

The Myth of Mental Illness, by Thomas Szasz, or anything by Thomas Szasz

Don't become a psychiatrist, please

All of Homer, so the Iliad & Odyssey. For Dostoevsky try Notes From the Underground, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, and The Brothers Karamazov. Netochka Nezvanova isn't too bad either.

Any reason why I shouldn't?

Oh , got Karamazov and the Idiot. Looks like I'm gonna read something today.

Judging by the way you're omitting commas altogether, you're a retard.

I'll give you key terms. You need to know about tri and bi partite theories of soul and what that means. Hippocrates and Galen are also important.

If you want a reading list I think In Our Time did programmes on those and may have the reading lists still up.

well it's pseudoscience, akin to a religion, dedicated to labeling certain behaviors as "scientifically" wrong, which means undesirable by current society/culture, in order to excuse locking them up or subduing them with chemicals

Judging by how you,re inverting commas you,re a retard

So you mean that if someone has behavior issues like calm and the next minute they go ape shit and break everything , it's not a disease? (Without any trigger , ofc)

Ok , user. You seem a good guy so I'll give it a shot.

> it's not a disease?
of course not, how could you even justify claiming that it is?

Thought of more books, anything by Robert Whitaker. Shows how "Schizophrenia" has been made worse and worse over the years by "treatment". Use to just go away on its own and never came back

I somewhat agree with this - I don't think I can think of a single one of my friends who wouldn't qualify for at least a mild psychological problem. I, personally, am moody and often depressed, but those feelings often feel like a reflection of my perspective and (excuse my language) "the human condition". I would be more productive, or more traditionally productive, if I were on some sort of medication that got my mind off of the unproductive irresolvable questions that draw people like those of us on this board, for example, to literature.

Psychology seems to strive to provide support or mind-altering drugs for even 'normal', though perhaps not exactly desirable, feelings. I'm not even entirely convinced that providing support, via counseling and psychoanalysis, is not just as bad as unnecessary medication. It forces people to see their very humanity as an impediment to a very capitalist kind of actualization, where productivity and satisfaction/happiness are the only meaningful metrics - and I say that as a defender of capitalism.

Check out sluggish schizophrenia and other abuses of psychiatry in the USSR. Do you really think that the ideological unpinnings of the West do not similarly affect the practice of psychology here?

Judging by your phraseology and syntax, you're a cretin the like of which can only be the result of the incestuous coupling of several generations of morons of the most intricate weave.

But...Schizophrenia is a genetic(most of the times) disorder , my man. It cannot be cured so the only thing you can do is treatment in hopes of partial recovery or at least to make the individual live a "normal" life.

Thanks for the title , I'll look it up.

Well written , user.

>sluggish schizo and other abuses of psychiatry in the USSR
We evolved since then , didn't we?

I don't want to work in a hospital , I want to have my own private thing.

I have sincere doubts about Schizophrenia simply disappearing - I think certain attitudes toward it can make the disease feels less bad to the sufferer, but

I am sympathetic to the underlying point you're making, that treatment of schizophrenia probably often does more harm than good, but I would be interested if you could provide a specific book/chapter/page number (or any more specific information than just the name of the author) about schizophrenia simply disappearing.

I would also underline that I do not believe that psychological diseases do not exist, but that most semi-functional people who go to psychologists do not need to and are probably harmed fairly significantly by doing so. For schizophrenics, paranoids, those with extreme suicidal ideation/actions, aphasics, etc, there is a need for treatment. My issue is with applying psychology to people who can think in any way clearly and are not a direct danger to themselves and others. E.g. 'depressed' people, anxious people, etc.

well, read Robert Whitaker and you can see that it did

But even if you can tie it to genetics (which I do believe is somewhat true), and that it never really goes away (which I don't believe), you still have no justification to call it a disease and violate any of their rights by locking them up or forcing them on any drugs.

Mad in America by Robert Whitaker, I don't have a page number

Also I haven't read it yet, plan to, but I'm assuming Psychiatry: the Sacred Symbol of Psychiatry by Thomas Szasz goes into this stuff as well.

So , you see these things ,which I call diseases, as a reason to lock people up in a sanatorium , which you think is a jail, and give them drugs. You consider them normal people because schizophrenia doesn't have any corporal symptoms to verify the disease (Unlike Alzheimer's that's given by the incapacity of the brain to produce a specific protein which makes parts of your brain degrade and disappear) which seems a bit odd , because people with schizophrenia tend to see things and are delirious ( just two symptoms besides behavior and personality issues ). Also , medics "lock up" a patient only if they consider that patient is a threat to the society.

It really makes me think if it's normal to see naked people go around the city and beat everyone they see.

As a psychiatrist , I have to evaluate the individual , I have to diagnose the individual , I have to help the individual that's suffering from the respective disease and give him it's medication since there's no surgery nor anything corporal changes that happen to a patient suffering from schizophrenia or the majority of psychiatric diseases. There are a lot of diseases that do no manifest a corporal change but for god's sake , if it can't be cured , it can be "hidden". My cell bio professor is schizophrenic and under medication and I wouldn't notice she has some disease until she told us. I have no evidence but I stand by my point and it's utterly absurd to think that schizophrenia isn't a disease.

>You consider them normal people
I don't think I said that. Do you think anybody who isn't normal, that that means they have a mental disease? Cause that's the whole problem right there. I don't think schizophrenics are NORMAL, sure, they definitely seem pretty weird. But it's not a disease
>corporal symptoms to verify the disease
Well they could have "symptoms", or just characteristics, that are consistent with eachother, it doesn't make it a disease in any way.
> medics "lock up" a patient only if they consider that patient is a threat to the society.
Or themselves, which is inherently wrong. And there's a lot of bullshit spinning that goes on to make the claim that they will at some point be a threat to society when they haven't gone around attacking anyone or anything like that. But if they actually do attack anyone, why should they be treated differently than the other people that go around attacking people? Psychiatry is on one hand used to lock people up, but the other side of the coin is that it often is used to protect and excuse certain dangerous sociopaths, while others who might commit the same crimes but not be diagnosed as insane are put in regular jail with no sympathy

You never gave any proof of it being a disease.

Opening Skinner's Box
Shrinks

Easy reading but you should get something from it.

Psychology and psychiatry of the current day will not be looked back on kindly in the future. It's a farce industry.

Whatever , dude. Have it your way , I'm here asking for books , not to argue.

I'll give it a shot , thanks.

Yeah , yeah , farce industry , same old faggots everywhere.

Please ignore the reactionaries in here. Some of the anti-psychiatry views espoused here are reasonable, but the particularly rabid ones are lacking in merit.

For instance, believing anything Robert Whitaker says about schizophrenia is laughable, when his writing is littered with misinterpretations of studies on the subject. There is value in his other commentaries, though.

I am pursuing a similar path; currently, I hope to become a Physician's Assistant and work particularly with severe addiction and severe psychiatric issues. An existential concern I have had is that I will end up in work that is unexciting, uninteresting, and/or meaningless, but as far as I can tell, this career path is exciting, interesting, and meaningful. Certainly more exciting than working with an ordinary patient population...

So I have a suggestion in terms of literature which you may find interesting. Like the suggestions given so far, you will have to take much of it with a grain of salt, but I enjoy the literature on psychedelic drugs, both generally and in treatment.

Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception is a classic, if somewhat trite, work in this genre. Other notable authors include Timothy Leary, Terrence McKenna, and Ken Kesey. William S. Burroughs, while not horribly involved in psychedelics, is similarly of interest, particularly works such as Naked Lunch and The Soft Machine. Another semantically related author is Frank Herbert, author of Dune, the famous and beautiful novel and series, who personally knew Timothy Leary and found basis for his concept of Melange in psilocybin mushrooms.

For actual contemporary research on psychedelics, MAPS, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, is a good research. A secret hope of mine is that, as MAPS predicts, MDMA will be Schedule II for PTSD and other anxiety therapies in the relative future, and that my qualifications will permit me to work in that emerging field.

Don't take all of this as an attempt to convert you, or some such thing, or a claim that the literature on the subject is without issues. I just feel that it is one of the most fascinating topics in psychology and that anybody working in the field would benefit from an at least passing exposure to it, especially given many people's knee-jerk, uneducated, thoroughly negative responses to even the mention of such substances.

Also, forgot to mention: William James, especially his Varieties of Religious Experience. Extremely influential author and formative to psychology.

can you link or give an example of how he misinterpreted something?

I ignore the reactions. I'm in the 2nd year of medicine , 4 more to go. I've decided since HS I want to follow the path of psychiatry because of it's mystery behind the diseases. Imo, everything evolves from a depression.

Thank you for building up my morale a little bit , user. I know some of the drugs are used on specific patients , I've read in a magazine for pharmacologists that LSD is injected in the dying patients with enormous pains like 10/10 on the pain scale (non-psychiatric nature) but I never knew that MDMA will be a thing for PTSD. I've still got a lot to learn about this field. I just wanted some good titles and looks like you helped me out although I'm not a big fan of psychedelics but I'll ofc I'll give them a shot.

you didn't ignore me, you argued with me for a few posts then after one of my responses, said you didn't want to argue

Dude , why so insistent? We have different views on the psychiatric subject. I don't really care if you consider schizophrenia not being a disease when everyone will tell you it is but you're just staying in your little shell. Stay there then , I don't want to make you come out.

>you didn't ignore me
but after this post , I will.

everyone will tell me it is right now but at some point in the future it might change just like so many other things you people have called diseases

>future psychiatrist
>future anything
>posting on Veeky Forums

Yeah. I've only worked in the field for near on ten years, what would I know?

Madness and Civilization by Foucault.

Being moody doesn't mean that you suffer from depression. No psychiatrist is going to pump you up with drugs just because you feel a bit sad or anxious, except for bad ones. Like when a inadequate doctor prescribes antibiotics for the flu. Also Psychology and Psychiatry are not identical just really close fields and I don't believe their end goal is to make you another clog in the machine as you put it. You can't blame a scientific field for helping people who literally can't function on their own and find ordinary tasks unbearable like for example entering the subway or getting up to start the day.

As what?

LSD was tested to help with end of life anxiety, it was administrated in very large doses and imo seemed to work pretty well. It helps people realize that death is just an illusion.

They also combined the LSD trips with another psychedelic called DPT, apparently similar to how DMT works.

>I know you guys read a shitload

HA-HAAA

You mean terminally ill patients which are also anxious because they somehow "fear" death?

>someone is depressed or anxious >psychology does more harm than good
How so?

What point are you trying to make here?

The first thing. LSD was tested to end life anxiety. So the dying patients are injected with LSD in their last minutes of life to make their death more "peaceful" ?

he wanted to say "psychiatry" instead of psychology. They're 2 different things. The psychiatrist prescribes medication and is monitoring the disease. Psychologists aren't allowed to prescribe anything , they're just people you go and talk to about your problems. Simple as that. One of them is a medic , the other one isn't