What does Veeky Forums think of audiobooks

What does Veeky Forums think of audiobooks
Can they add to the reading experience or are they just for fags too lazy to even read?

It's for the car

for fags who read trash genre fiction, it's absolutely useless for any serious reading

I think it's fine for most things. I wouldn't try to listen to war and peace or anything.

They're great for poetry and plays, even better than reading them. I wouldn't want to listen to hundreds of pages of prose, though.

I commute a lot, and like them for that.
I listened to all 24 hour of Moby Dick on audiobook, and it was fucking great. The narrators voice acting really elevated the experience.

Which version/narrator?

It's a different format but isn't intrinsically "worse" than literature. Many classical works such as Herodotus' Histories and (probably) some of Aristotle were originally more like lecture notes than literature per se. So when you read Herodotus you are actually get the script from his live show, and I imagine it was better to watch him perform it than it is to read them now. Whether or not that style is more effective than a book depends on what you are trying to communicate.

Books on Tape. Reader in Paul Baymer (sp)
I got it from TPB in 2009. It might be kicking around somewhere. 20 .mp3s

Came here to post this.
Also useful for improving a second language

they help me comprehend what I'm reading , my severe dyslexia keeps me from understanding a lot of prose,

on a side note does anyone here know of a good site where I can download them for free , Now that what.cd is dead

Audiobookbay

When i was starting to read i couldn't finish the books that i touched, the audiobooks helped me, i remember very nice versions of Poe (in spanish) and Cortazar, the plus was the good ambient caused by the music

Thanks user

Excellent for books with more flowing prose that gains from being read aloud. Lolita narrated by Jeremy Irons was sublime

its not literature and its for dumb faggots who can't sit and read

I have literally read over a hundred audiobooks because I drive about 2 hours a day and can't stand listening to music while I drive. Studies have shown that there is no difference between hearing a book and reading a book you still learn and experience it just the same. I found it to be really good for all types of books especially books with flowing prose. Jeremy Irons reading Lolita was awesome. I was able to get through some books that were too boring and had too much detail. Then I found that because I had listened to skilled narrators my own reading started to improve as well. Richard Poe reading East of Eden literally changed my life and made me have to read every Steinbeck book. He is now my favorite author.

I can still sit and read like any well respected reader or book lover but I refuse to admit that audiobook listeners are somehow second class citizens. It's just a baseless stereotype. I think it is because people feel like it's harder to sit down and focus while they physically read paper but that doesn't make their reading gains better.
I met this blind girl that was literally the most well read person I have ever met and she had only listened to audiobooks.

"I can stare at paper better than anyone else"

You'll do anything to get (You)s, won't you?

love audiobooks

I hate them. English isn't my native language, and even if it would be, almost every novel tends to contain at least one word I've never seen before or forgotten.

And the one who reads the book is the primary factor for me if I like the book or not. Nothing beats the "voice" of your own mind.

Spoken word and conversations are terrible in audiobooks. It completely kills your own development of a mental model of the characters, and you're forced into seeing them as the narrator does. Also conversations between male and female are terrible and completely immersion-breaking

It's a massive handicap not seeing punctuation, paragraphs, and the general formatting of it. And you can't easily flip around or go back if you missed something or want to check a quote. And overall it takes twice as long to hear it as it is to just read it, novellas that take an hour to read take two and a half to listen to.

Also this , You're completely subject to the interpretation of whoever's reading it.