Academia BTFO Rage Thread

news.nationalpost.com/news/world/students-demand-plato-descartes-and-other-white-philosophers-be-dropped-from-curriculum

"Under proposed reforms to higher education, the government wants to place student satisfaction at the heart of a new ranking system, but it critics fear could undermine academic integrity."
Yeah, no shit.

"It says that 'white philosophers' should be studied only 'if required,' adding that their work should be taught solely from a 'critical standpoint.'"

Other urls found in this thread:

reason.com/blog/2015/05/12/trigger-warning-mythology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Students want to decide what they need to learn to become educated.
Great idea.

i wonder wich meme i am

hopefully sad frog hes my fav lol

roll

rolling

Well, whatever the article says, i think the students have the right to PARTICIPATE of the reflexion of what they will study.

So what African/PoC philosopher do they want them to be replaced?

I was pissed at first but then I read into it.

They're part of the School of Oriental and Asian Studies, so its understandable why they'd want less whiteys.

Not that I agree with them at all though.

Yeah, doesn't seem all that outrageous. They'll still have Descartes and Kant on the curriculum in their 'white people' part of the course

The only notable asian/oriental philosophers are confucius and buddha, whom both had their works expanded upon by western Transcendentalists anyways. These people just want to regress to an era of racially segregated thought.

Your choice to participate is in your registration and attendance of the course, not in editorializing the curriculum.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

rawling

cmon op, everyone knows that higher education is fuckin laughable bullshit.

>Believing in the progress meme

back to plebbit

You want to reread my post buddy? You seem confused

You're just uneducated on eastern philosophy mate

>These people just want to regress to an era of racially segregated thought.

You're also a good goy

roll

Name some eastern/oriental philosophers who can supplant Plato and Descartes, and whose ideas were not substantially advanced by the Transcendentalists, then. I won't pretend to be the best educated on the subject and I'd love to hear some valid arguments.

And keep calling me the goy while you fall for 'progressive' marxism

nisio isin

>Name some eastern/oriental philosophers who can supplant Plato and Descartes, and whose ideas were not substantially advanced by the Transcendentalists, then.

Why should I? You've just moved the goalposts.

"The only notable asian/oriental philosophers are confucius and buddha" is what I disagree with.

>And keep calling me the goy while you fall for 'progressive' marxism

I called you a goy because you had the reaction that the media jews want you to have. You fell for their sensationalised bollocks. A School of Oriental and Asian Studies wants less whites and more Orientals and Asians, it's not a big deal.

tepkuk

It's a huge deal if you see how whites are being genocided

>You've just moved the goalposts.
Not at all, I'm asking you to provide examples of notable Eastern/Oriental philosophers that would better serve this course.

>it's not a big deal
Precisely my point - and yet these academic ideologues are trying to use it as leverage for race bait

>Academia pushes for this you retard

>Not at all, I'm asking you to provide examples of notable Eastern/Oriental philosophers that would better serve this course.

You didn't you added extra shit that would allow you to go "ah, well the transcendentalists ____ gotcha"

Anyway, I'll give a few examples of notable eastern philosophers going with "worthy of attention or notice" as the definition of notable.

Al-Ghazali
Avicenna
Akṣapāda Gautama
Chanakya
Laozi
Zhuang Zhou

>these academic ideologues are trying to use it as leverage for race bait

They are not, the media are. The media knew they could twist it into a "political correctness gone mad/reverse racism" story with good success, so they did.

The School of Oriental and Asian Studies shouldn't even be a thing. Go to Asia if you want to learn about Asia.

honestly, kill yourself

>The media knew they could twist it into a "political correctness gone mad/reverse racism" story

No twisting required.

Well the only one I agree with dropping is Descartes.

>Sir Roger Scruton, the philosopher, said the demands suggest “ignorance.” “You can’t rule out a whole area of intellectual endeavour without having investigated it, and clearly they haven’t investigated what they mean by white philosophy,” he told The Mail on Sunday.

>“If they think there is a colonial context from which Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason arose, I would like to hear it.’
Blown the fuck out

You seem to be ignoring the media tendency to support legitimate race bait/reverse racism stories. This specific article may be misrepresentative, but as a trend the misrepresentation tends to go the other way.

Nope. It's quite obvious what their agenda is when they talk about "decolonizing" and "confronting the white institution".

This is the West. All students should be at least somewhat educated in the basis of our culture before going off and learning about others.

Source? Seems like 95% of these stories turn out to be complete bullshit.

It's not political correctness gone mad or racism you dip.

If you signed up to the School of European Philosophy, and the majority of philosophers studied were Chinese, you'd want to the curriculum changed so there's less Chinese and more European.

It generally depends on what paper you read. The Guardian, Huff Post, Salon etc support it; Daily Mail, the Sun, Daily Express are against.

They're not trying to race bait in this example though. Its the media who have reported on this and spun it/sensationalised it. To see it in another perspective, look back to the election; whatever Trump would say, the media would spin it in such a way to create outrage as outrage spreads news and the media wants their news read + plus they have special interests depending on who owns them (for example most Murdoch owned papers spin things to support his right wing beliefs whereas you see the opposite with other papers)

>If you signed up to the School of European Philosophy, and the majority of philosophers studied were Chinese, you'd want to the curriculum changed so there's less Chinese and more European.
Except we live in the West. Why shouldn't they have an understanding of Western philosophy before studying foreign philosophy? Does it hurt them?

And it's obvious that they are against it for race reasons.

Both Plato and Aristotle are basically required reading for understanding near eastern philosophy though. Islam leans as heavily on them as Christianity does.

Just as well nobody's actually demanding that they be dropped, then.

Yes, all students should be required to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion because I said so.

They're not, they just want the majority of philosophers learnt to be from Asia or Africa.

"The School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)’s student union is insisting that when studying philosophy, “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia."

I'm pretty sure SOAS barely has a philosophy department anyway- they're more into religion. They offer a single BA course in 'world philosophies'.

But let's all get mad anyway, right?

Except that most of these (post-colonial at least) were western educated and their ideas draw from Kant, Plato etc., so not learning about them makes understanding following philosophers more difficult

We should celebrate art made by persons of color, yes.

They aren't "not learning" about them though, they're just asking for the majority to be asian/african.

Anyway it's just a suggestion from the student union, it may not even be accepted.

>not learning about them
Oh, there's that thing that nobody's demanding again.

The phrase is actually 'global south', so it includes Latin America too.

Retarded.

The only need for University is accreditation but accreditation is meaningless if you don't have a normal program that focuses on a distinct array of skills / specialization.

Otherwise just fucking stay at home and learn it yourself. YOU are the student, YOU don't know what is best or most relevant for each field of study.

>No white philosophers
Seriously, I can only think of a single non-white philosopher: Buddha, or at least Buddhist thinkers.

Are there are relevant black philosophers?

Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Hotep, King Tut, Yakub...

> I can only think of a single non-white philosopher
That's a reflection of your lack of knowledge more than anything though.

Also
>uncritically believing obviously sensationalist news

You didn't name any notable black philosophers yourself, and if you actually read the post you replied to you'd understand that user isn't saying there are not any oriental philosophers, but that they are all simply regurgitating Buddha, another point you've failed to overturn.

>SOAS
SOAS is regarded as a joke even among London academia
It went to fuck long ago and many graduates from there only ever say "dont go" if you ask them about it

not him btw

>but that they are all simply regurgitating Buddha

How is Avicenna regurgitating Buddha?

How is Laozi regurgitating Buddha?

>“If they think there is a colonial context from which Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason arose, I would like to hear it.’
What does that mean exactly? Colonial context?

I don't even study philosophy and I thought of multiple oriental philosophers that aren't Buddha or Confucius.

Ibn Khaldun
Saadi
Averroes

This whole article is fucking stupid and dishonest.

'Students' means the student union of some minor school of Oriental and African Studies so basically three college kids are suggesting this idea.

>It comes after education leaders warned ...
So a handful of students completely unrepresentative of the larger student body suggested something chronologically after some other unrelated event happened? Fantastic news!

>Under proposed reforms to higher education, the government wants to place student satisfaction at the heart of a new ranking system

Yeah meaning they want to address the general feeling students have that higher education doesn't care about them at all except for their money.

>"There is a real danger political correctness is getting out of control. We need to understand the world as it was and not to rewrite history as some might like it to have been."

>It says that “white philosophers” should be studied only “if required,” adding that their work should be taught solely from a “critical standpoint.” “For example, acknowledging the colonial context in which so-called ‘Enlightenment’ philosophers wrote within,” it says.

Funny how ignoring the colonial context of Enlightenment thinkers is not considered 'political correctness' and is considered understanding the world as it was. It really should be the opposite.

This isn't news and it isn't Veeky Forums

They didn't say 'no white philosophers' you illiterate simp.

That it was a product of or used to justify colonialism in some way.

Jesus christ this sentence
What are you doing on this board
You sound cult-like, you are not using your own words. Like a mass of people instead of an individual.

>"We don't want to have certain dead writers on our curriculum because of their skin color and ethnicity"
>not racism

mhm, yea... tell me more

They haven't even said that you imbecile. They just said they want the majority to be oriental or african as they are studying in the school of oriental and african studies

Everyone read these posts then /thread:
Or.. be manipulated by clickbait if you really want to..

Look at the quality of the argument being put forward, albeit in academic-speak, and how respectful it is.

Then turn your eyes to the bizarre shit in the comments. Some shit about indoctrination (despite the quality of the argument and the welcoming of open and honest discourse), straight unequivocal racism, complete misreadings of the argument and the article, calls for censorship in response to censorship.

Some self-awareness wouldn't go amiss.

So in other words, they want to be less educated.

That's funny. I didn't know there was such thing as a non-white philosopher.

epic burn dude

Less educated... about Oriental or African texts?

>not realizing these students are the next generation's professors/teachers
>not realizing it's only downhill from here

lmao I triggered you haha

I feel like the term "All other persons" would have been more appropriate here.

No they're not going to hire teenagers to educate others.

The immense amount of power academia holds makes their every action inherently violent no matter how they present themselves.

No matter how angry the response may be, it can never be as violent as something that comes from or takes place in an academic institution.

Haha I got triggered.

>Live in the West
>Want to be educated in philosophy from the Orient
>99% of it is rehashed Aristotle through the lens of a Muslim

Wow! It's almost as if they should've just read Aristotle instead...

This
It's a snowball of indoctrination

Am I supposed to respond to this seriously or are you done?

To say nothing of this generation's journalists? They're the ones trying to convince you that leftist Academia is evil, so much that you overlook the evidence in the article that suggests otherwise.

I was already convinced leftist Academia is evil

Of course I'm serious. The whole notion of a "Oriental and African studies" is ridiculous to begin with.

Classical Mythology Too Triggering for Columbia Students

reason.com/blog/2015/05/12/trigger-warning-mythology

>In Columbia University's student newspaper, four members of the school's student Multicultural Affairs Advisory Board call on professors to be more sensitive when teaching provocative or controversial material... such as the Roman classical poet Ovid.

>Zeus' daughter Persephone (aka Prosperina), for instance, is kidnapped, raped, and taken as a bride by Hades, king of the underworld. The op-ed writers suggest this ancient Greek and Roman myth is too triggering to be taught in today's classroom.

What a time to be alive

I remember the days when plebs like you were SHAMED

Then how do these two excerpts fit with your view:

>The vice-chancellor of Buckingham University, Sir Anthony Seldon, added: “There is a real danger political correctness is getting out of control. We need to understand the world as it was and not to rewrite history as some might like it to have been.”

>The head of SOAS’s Religions and Philosophies department, Erica Hunter, said the union’s viewpoint was “rather ridiculous,” adding: “I would firmly resist dropping philosophers or historians just because it was fashionable.”

Oh well in that case I have no idea why you're limiting the scope of the argument.

Actually I'm being disingenuous -- I know why you're doing it.

Okay let me rephrase
I am convinced the parts of academia that pursue letist identity politics and teach students to think this way are evil

Because their work put that view in the heads of the students. This happens all the time. Professors freak out when the application of their ideas becomes inconvenient to them, and it's always hilarious. they're evil because they caused this to occur in the first place.

I mean, why should it stop there?

We should have a Bachelor's degree at all universities devoted to the study of one bee colony, that way you'll be sure to have removed all the colonization.

when i was in college only a few years ago a lecturer made a quip about sexual reassignment surgery and transpeople during her discussion on ovid. i skipped that reading so i missed the context of her quip but there was no outrage.

Calls for decolonisation aren't really about identity politics though.

Also the 'students' aren't teaching anyone. This is just a (reasonable) 'demand' from the student union of a single school, which could be as low as a whole two students in total.

I'm not sure what this has to do with either my or your argument

Oh my God those four students are going to destroy the world!

>Calls for decolonisation aren't really about identity politics though.
Yes it is you brainwashed limp-wristed nu-male cuck. "Decolonization" is a leftist meme.

We should never underestimate the capacity for this sort of thing to spread. The fact that those students weren't immediately expelled means that this world (or at least anything good and worthwhile in it) may as well already be destroyed.

>what is the slippery slope
Good goy! If you ignore it, it will go away!

No it isn't. Identity politics is for liberals helping minorities that they view as secret liberals waiting to get out and join in on capitalism, decolonisation is a radical leftist thing.

>inb4 but liberals are leftist!!!!!

Decolonization is an SJW thing. It doesn't matter how anal you get over left vs liberal, it's really only a matter of degree.

That's probably true actually, if there were no demand for these stories where four out of 31,000+ students supposedly represent all of academia then they wouldn't get published, thus wouldn't get publicity.

What a world we live in when fallacies matter more in an argument than logic.

What both of them have in common is that they essentially fight against white male oppression
So that's how it is identity politics.

No, SJWs are about markets. Decolonisation isn't.

shut the fuck up you limp wrist nu-male cuck