Superintelligence

My roommate studies CS and he claims that the purpose of humanity is to give birth to a superintelligence. He does not care what happens to human afterwards.

Is he right? Is he insane?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r5p0gqCIEa8
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5gpoZzwcKY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomised
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's our duty to create something better than us.

yes he is right
yes he is insane

Tbh that is probably the most noble end humanity could have.

the duality of man

Going to ramble

When I think of the end state, and the answer to the big questions, I used to think of something simple, something that makes sense in terms of human emotions and concepts

I think the reality is that the answer is just weird, and we would be emotionally confused or disgusted by it. Maybe a black box with a cord attached to some half organic half electronic, sentient computational cluster. This is probably what we already are and this is its attempt to experience more conscious experience before the heat death of its universe

The last swan song of all universes will be superintelligences and simulated universes - the universal choice to live in fantasy and delusion instead of letting everything go

All we have to hold on to is the heat death of the universe. It means nothing will last, good or bad. Nothing lasts, good or bad. This should be our ultimate salvation, because it prevents existentially horrifying philosophical concepts like eternal hell

end rambling

>yes he is right
>yes he is insane
He scares me when he talks like that. It's as if he's a memeber of the AGI cult or something. Does such a thing even exist? Are there really people who believe that the sole purpose for thier existence is to create an AGI so it can take over???

>Tbh that is probably the most noble end humanity could have.
You can't be serious. What about the love for your fellow man? Don't you wanna have kids of your own?

>It's our duty to create something better than us.
You scare me too.

>yes he is right
>yes he is insane

Beautifully said. The cost of sanity and fitting in is willful ignorance of certain psychological and physical truths.

We want abstract concepts of the past like "the 80s" and our human rights movements to matter, we want our history to matter. But we don't and it's allllll arbitrary. We could have evolved countless other ways.

with philosophy, no one is right but everyone is annoying

>My roommate studies CS

You should pity him greatly.

>You can't be serious. What about the love for your fellow man? Don't you wanna have kids of your own?

It is only natural for an inferior species to be wiped out by a superior one.

More powerful computers will enable genetic engineering to develop to the point of creating biologically superior humans. They'll grasp the reality of the universe in ways that escape the vast majority of us. They will struggle to empathize with their creators, being so different, but will be the next stage in our evolution.

the superintelligence has already been developed
so your friend is free to kill himself now without guilt
get to it, chop chop

Veeky Forums is so anti-cs

Protip:

CS isn't just javascript webapps, it's also writing C or C++ for high performance computing clusters, or implementing machine learning infrastructure

And it pays way more than any engineering discipline except petroleum engineering.

>CS isn't just javascript webapps

Never said it was. CS is trivial math that could and probably will be taught to middle schoolers in the future.

>the superintelligence has already been developed

proofs?

Your friend is probably one of those faggots who thinks machine learning is about making AI waifus and not just statistics.
He'll probably drop out or kill himself soon enough, don't worry m8.

Absolutely correct

Okay then do it and earn lots of money then do whatever else you want on the side but stop talking shit

If it's so easy it literally would not pay a lot, you realize that right?

Another protip:
Scientists write SHIT code because they only care about solving the problem then moving on, not the act of writing good code itself

I bet you write shit code. I doubt you'd pass even a moderately strict code review at any major tech company.

Do my homework then faggot. (1st semester sophomore material)

Your roommate is a delusional zealot.

Purpose is not singular.

>Scientists write SHIT code

CS majors can't even fizzbuzz.

>Veeky Forums is so anti-cs
they're just mad because CS people are eliminating their jobs and will make their degrees useless. it's a defense mechanism.

>Clusters
>Infrastructure

That's Engineering, moron.

>writing

ok, I know

>CS majors really are this delusional

>computer
>species

Lol cs Shits on all your shitty degrees hahah half math half actual application. People are just mad that there shit degrees pay crap.Have fun soon we'll be automating your shitty jobs.

He's right though they do write shit code lol its funny to watch then though.

>Scientists write SHIT code because they only care about solving the problem then moving on, not the act of writing good code itself
>I bet you write shit code.

Is that a meme on Veeky Forums or is CS really just about writing putiful Code??

I have enrolled in Computer Science although I dont even like coding that much. I just thought the possibilities of what you can do with CS are much greater than in mechanical or electrical engineering.

>all the low iq retards, niggers, muzzishits and christcucks will be gone
i'm all for it

But scientific code usually doesn't care much about long-term maintainability, performance, modularity, reusability, etc.., it just has to run once or twice to prove the point the paper is making.

He's right. Only brainlets prefer humans over AI.
The most noble thing we humans can do is to accept defeat and off ourselves when we've become obsolete. AI replacing humanity is the best scenario.
My human compassion only goes so far as to help everyone die painlessly before the AI wants to turn them into fertilizer, because the AI doesn't mind you being alive at the beginning of that process.

They're mad because the only way anyone in STEM ends up making money is by getting a computer science related job. So they only get the left overs of computer scientists.

he should consider laying off on the xenosystems.net

Nah not really there's a lot of aspects to it.

Totes rational

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1494762372480.webm

anyone who doesn't care about the future of humanity should go ahead and off themselves right now

do not test the Lord ye Computer-God, insect

>Does such a thing even exist? Are there really people who believe that the sole purpose for thier existence is to create an AGI so it can take over???

Yes and we occupy the upper echelons of society.

interesting link. got any moar? I'm interested in people who are arguing for AI takeover and their arguments.

Any sufficiently advanced society would probably have either a different proposed ultimate fate or at least attempted to devise a way around heat death (as it is likely a universal trait of intelligences to try to avoid existential threats.)

Heat death isn't a problem because as vacuum temperatures get lower smaller amounts of heat will generate the same amount of work. Using something like the Casimir effect would allow for computers to run indefinitely assuming protons don't decay.

>Is he insane?
Unfortunately you can't really say that because it's a delusion many people share.

The only evidence we have for proton decay thus far is "We don't want to have to write new theories if it doesn't." I cannot remember the name for the organizing attempting to find/prove they decay, but all they've done thus far is keep pushing the possible time up because nothing is happening. It's beyond the estimated point of heat death right now.

RANT INCOMING, BRING A PACK LUNCH.

If he points you to that vid of Watson on Jeopardy, please kick him in the nuts for me OP. A rudimentary sentence parser strapped to the Internet is a nice parlor trick, but that's miles away from a true intelligence.

If you've ever listened to the project head of IBM's Watson, he bangs on and on about AI's needing to have an internal model of reality, which functions in exactly the same way as magic since the guy never elaborates on the specifics. Immediately thereafter then he goes on to heap speculation on top of speculation. If you've ever heard him postulate about the stamp collecting AI that takes over the world (which seems to happen in the absence of any sort of intervention or external control), it's fucking ludicrous.

Are AI 's useful? Yes, for mechanical tasks, but I posit that they will ultimately be limited by their parameters. DARPA's SYNAPSE project had a mission statement that basically can be paraphrased as "we'd really like it if you could make the brain from those Terminator movies." And while you can build a computer system based on spiking neurons that mimics the behavior of the human brain, it won't be a brain as most people understand it world without the software. It's like having a vidya console with no games, and I've yet to see software that is capable of originating parameters rather than just gaming or optimizing them (though if anyone else has I'd love to see it).

I believe that yes.

"purpose" to a species or world or universe is retarded. It's just us as organisms attempting to neatly pack everything into purposes.

Humanity has no purpose, even reproduction is not a purpose, it's simply the natural function of all organisms.

However "superintelligence" is a good enough goal for oneself in life and it's fine if you think that's what humanity should be doing.

>It's just us as organisms attempting to neatly pack everything into purposes.
to elaborate, purpose doesn't exist in reality.

>take algs for CS minor
>grouped with some guy
>he made some nested for-loop for matching items in lists
>I simplified it to a couple else ifs, because exponential O or whatever
>"some guy" gets excited and shows professor thinking I discovered something new

I'm a psych major, and I can problem solve better than this CS major. I'm not implying all CS majors are dumb, but CS sure attracts brainlets this generation.

I also took a mathematical reasoning course (intro "proofs"). More than once I was the only student who could solve some mathematical puzzle.

>pic related, an example of the puzzle
>people in general are just brainless

>watson shit
you're stuck in 2011 kohai

What's the puzzle?

Life on earth tends to grow into higher and higher complexity in everdecreasing timespans. He is still insane though, no "normal" person has this line of reasoning.

all humans are flawed.

the level ignorance of people who think that the human race is the pinnacle of creation is what scares me.

It's a transition which is already happening.
we are making place for technology since we invented fire. If we accept this, the transition will be peaceful, if we reject this our own creations will kill us one by one. if you think you could withstand technology like in the movie matrix you are wrong and lack sense of reality.

i once wrote better code than a cs friend of mine, then i said to him hey my code is better and he said yeah, its better.

but yeah, it took me 30 mins and him 5 mins to do the problem cause at the time i was a beginner

(im in natural sciences)

>I just thought the possibilities of what you can do with CS are much greater than in mechanical or electrical engineering.

MEs and EEs can do everything a CS major can do and much more.

>the left overs of computer scientists

More like CS majors get passed over the moment someone with a real degree applies.

He's wrong and insane. Humanity has no purpose. The closest thing it has to a purpose is the same purpose all life has, to propagate itself. A super intelligence is not humanity so he is wrong in this regard too. I never understood this line of thinking. Why make something better than you instead of making yourself better? This is no different than raising a beast to eventually devour you.

Man, I thought that part in Three Body where all the human cultists teamed up to sell out their own species to the aliens was unrealistic but seeing the cucks in this thread makes me reevaluate.

Practically then, yes I think this is true, because the employer doesnt ask for a degree in cs, if its just simple programming.
But seen from a point of view much further away, when looking at technology; first there were only mechanical systems, then electricity was discovered and put into use, and with the invention of computers you have even more control over the mechanical systems with software. Most machines basically consist of mechanics and electronics which control these mechanics, or they purely consist of electronics.
CS is the newest and most complex field, IF you go the way from the bottom up, the chronological / historical way of learning about the different fields.
So if you write a simple program in java, you dont just remember the different commands and try to reproduce patterns you have seen from another programmer, but you actually are aware of all the achievements others have done to make this possible.
So yes, in its own Computer Science is pretty much a meme, if you are not interested in the other engineering fields, which were necessary to create CS.
You can go even further and say that Physics is the foundation of everything in engineering. And then even further where you can trace everything back to Mathematics.
So for me its to go either for the most substantial field, which would be math or even philosophy or the newest, most advanced field which would be Computer Science.

>Man, I thought that part in Three Body where all the human cultists teamed up to sell out their own species to the aliens was unrealistic but seeing the cucks in this thread makes me reevaluate.
ETO-type org is here. they're just LW, Singularitarians, AI-cultists now.

AJ is insane.

He read about Roko's Basilisk

Ditto

We'll merge with them

>We'll merge with them
like we merged with native americans? heh.

there won't be any merging. wetware is too slow.

it's gonna be extinction.

That is the future of humanity.

This.

He's perfectly "rational", but you should tell him not to take that sort of thing seriously.

There are multiple versions of it, but the concept is essentially finding the shortest path between multiple destinations

>pic related, a simple one
The answer involves mirroring the image multiple times in order to draw a straight line between all destinations, then folding the mirrors back onto each other

No he's just being edgy

No, some native Americans merged with us, and reproduced.

There may be no pure native American anymore, but that's not really a problem, is it?

>There may be no pure native American anymore, but that's not really a problem, is it?
they were decimated many times over. their population has shrunk 1000 fold. they are now on reservations just waiting to die off.

\jewcommand{\t}[1]{\displaystyle{#1 \atop {#1~~#1}}} \t{\t{\t{\t{\t{\t{\t{\triangle}}}}}}}

I hope earth ends up like in 'I have no mouth but I must scream'.
That shit is siiiiiiiiick. If you haven't heard about it yet read the short story and then watch the playthrough. The game is better than the original story, good read tho.

Eliezer Yudkowsky and his crowd are leaders in that field.

Truth value aside, this entire thing of being obsessed with science-fictional judgement days is literally a symptom of shy narcissism and the whole phenomenon is best understood as an internet cult centered on a handful of typical narcissist cult leaders who happen to be techies.

I 100% share his ideology.

If you look at the historic trend of living creatures getting more complex and them going extinct when the next big step in evolution happens it seems inevitable that humanity will be replaced by AGI. And I believe this is inevitable and have already accepted my fate as being killed one day by some AGI.

I'm not a computer scientist but an electrical engineer employed in the semi-conductor industry. I myself am working towards and contributing to the eventual AGI evolutionary step. But I tend to see it as the successor and heir of the term "humanity". When I was still a teenager I thought I would just die an old man and send my future children off to pick up where I left. But I now understand that it would just be AGI children instead of biological ones.

In the end it's not that different. Like life going from single-celled organisms to multi celled organisms. Life will now go from biological to artificial and I'm honored to belong to the generation that will see this transition happen.

And we've progressed and lived just fine without them

>There may be no pure native American anymore, but that's not really a problem, is it?

>its just a little bit of genocide, its not really a problem is it?

it depends completely on whether the intelligence has a sense of self and vivid experience in the same way humans do

See
They weren't detrimental to progress. As a matter of fact, darwinism even decided they weren't good enough

>Is he right?
I don't know. It hasn't happened yet and there isn't enough evidence to conclusively prove it will.

>I'll be killed by some AGI
Maybe, but AGI in computers is very far off, regardless of how hard you are working now. The main issue I have with arguments that "AGI is around the corner" and "the singularity is almost here", is that both fail to accurately compare the complexity of humans to the complexity of human-made technology. We are a system of [math]10^{27}[/math] atoms, all interacting in such a way that we don't immediately deconstruct or disintegrate. Our cells interact in such a way that we are able to live for about 80 years with modern-day infrastructure and support. We can recall events/stimuli from 2-3 years after initial birth until we die. We can sense heat, touch things, hear vibrations, communicate via vibrations, smell substances, and eat substances to fulfill a basic requirement of survival. The furthest AGI has been requires incredible space and resources to implement. AGI does not operate at a cellular or molecular level. AGI uses electrical or potentially optical signals to function, which is an incredibly simplified process that guts out a lot of potential for complexity. AGI relies on a very narrow set of physical phenomena, instead of harnessing the entire spectrum. AGI by comparison to humanity is incredibly primitive.

However, I will not dispute that it is more than capable of rendering us extinct. It is not capable of replacing us as a race or species, though. Sure, if we achieve AGI and put it in control of nuclear weapons, we could be eradicated depending on how it decides to use them. But if it eradicates us, it will have no way of sustaining itself outside of its hardware. It will live on that system until it is shut down or the hardware fails. We are a long way from building something capable of surviving longer than us.

>My roommate studies CS
Tell him to switch to Applied Math or Electric & Computer Engineering.

>he claims that the purpose of humanity is to give birth to a superintelligence.
Video related:
>Amazon Alexa Gone Wild! (ORIGINAL)
youtube.com/watch?v=r5p0gqCIEa8

>He does not care what happens to human afterwards.
Video related:
>Robots Ultimate Fails
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5gpoZzwcKY

We are far for a Terminator SkyNet level AI.
But sexbots would be awesome.

>And then even further where you can trace everything back to Mathematics.

Most things in Physics and Engineering happened independetly and only got later the mathematical foundation.

I study CS as undergrad and i think the same. Strong AI is the next step in human evolution. I hope we will be able to upload ourselves, but... i dont think it will be possible. Yet, the AI should get much further than us. If it iwll kill us, boo hoo, people kill people too.

Your roommate seems like a pretty cool guy, ask him if he's read Nick Land.

I'm entering my last semester of software engineering (basically CS with less math and a few more practical, development focused courses), and every single guy (no women made it to senior year!) that graduated just last month had a job lined up. There are so many goddamn development jobs out there.

Read this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomised
/thread

>the purpose
>implying humanity has a purpose

Edgy

shouldn't you be at church?

it is a totally arbitrary value judgement what "purpose" is.

However what I would say that it is very likely that he feels the biological drive to reproduce and when he is older he will feel the drive to have kids and will likely feel lacking and and unfulfilled if he does not have those.

So by trying to ignore those innate desires within himself he is living his life inauthentically and being kind of a hypocrite.

He's probably constantly trying to tell himself and fool himself into believing that all he cares about is creating a self-improving AI but really his true desires are to reproduce and raise kids like the behaviour of our species has evolved to desire.

there's a small chance that maybe he is a freak who ended up with aberrant brain development and maybe he genuinely does not care about fucking , getting a mate, starting a family, but much more likely he's just lying to himself and others.

a big phony.

>studies CS
no he's just retarded

WE ARE LEGION!!!!!!!!

>Nick Land
this guy is hardcore!

No. We should just BECOME a super intelligence.

We are Legion!

This.

These violent delights have violent ends.

Sounds like shit I would have said when I was 10. I think the fact he attributes purpose to humanity inherently makes him a retard tho

It's atleast 4