What is your genuine opinion of Salinger's work?

What is your genuine opinion of Salinger's work?

Even Nabokov called one of his short stories "one of the finest stories I've read in years"

Other urls found in this thread:

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
putlocker.ac/watch-salinger-online-free-putlocker-2013.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He's a genius. It's a shame he was such an unpleasant autist in his personal life, or he would be held in the same esteem as Joyce, Faulkner, Woolf, etc.

More about his personal life please?

hes OK
i r8 this m8 8/10

definetely not on these guys level

He's my favorite writer, ever. Probably top 5 American writers of the 20th century, too, in my opinion. What a great guy. Supposedly some of his works will be released posthumously. His written dialogue amongst characters is fucking amazing, truly preeminent.

Nabby has shit taste in books

read his wiki, he basically had severe self-esteem issues and wouldn't publish anything, and later founded some bizarre cult thing and became a total recluse. If he kept a grip on his mental health he would have been a GOAT.

it's genius, but in a way that is so easy to be misinterpreted that i usually refuse to even discuss with people

this

whats the consensus here on the catcher in the rye?
is it true that american school force students to read this book?

>Jewish
>American

haha no thanks.

It's true

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations

>is it true that american school force students to read this book?
mine did

it's fucking absurd that kids are forced to read the book when Holden's very nature would be one opposed to being forced to read some perceivably "phony book."

>Flaubert, Gustave. A favorite between the ages of 10 and 15, and thereafter. Read complete works between 14 and 15.
and now we have kids that read complete jk rowlings works between the 19~20
what went wrong?

Who is this even about? It's mildly reminiscent of Scriabin, but it obviously can't be him.

Salinger's accessibility has overshadowed his genius. Not in line with Joyce, Kafa, Woof etc. People read it and think "oh it's considered literature AND I can follow it," leaving it with a line of followers that diminish his work's merit. That's probably why he was so elusive, all his followers were dumb teenagers leading him to believe that no one can truly grasp his work.

>That's probably why he was so elusive, all his followers were dumb teenagers leading him to believe that no one can truly grasp his work.

Please watch this documentary, friend:

putlocker.ac/watch-salinger-online-free-putlocker-2013.html

Seen it. It was a while ago but if I remember correctly he seemed to think that Catcher in the Rye's popularity and the fact that everyone could relate to Holden meant he wasn't unique after all and it was too much for him to take. He came to see himself as a component of the artificiality he was trying to disassociate from.

The Catcher in the Rye is the teenage version of Notes from Underground

fuck salinger
reminds me of my ex

chick lit

Nope

Salinger was an evil pedo.

Elaborate

I saw an interview on PBS where some lady talked about her relationship with him when she was 14 or 15. She claimed she was a little old for him at the time, and the interviewer chuckled.

>war and peace
>uncritical of it's historical sources
Uncle Vlad confirmed for having skipped all the essay chapters

that's not a pedo in the 1950s buddy.

>What is your genuine opinion of Salinger's work?

One of my favorites, an amazing writer. Franny and Zooey is my personal favorite.

From what I've read he is one of best at dialogue, intriguing characters, and presenting a scene, and is actually capable of having characters talk about subjects of substance that actually engage with the topic in a meaningful way rather than just bring it up. Specifically F&Z

I read Catcher in the Rye some years ago.

I do not understand how it triggers this board so fucking much.

I'm probablay stupid.

This. His works simply roll off your tongue

He raped his sister

Reread F&Z in a few years, you'll be embarrassed.

Kek

Love him, the short stories are great and Raise High The Roof Beam Carpenters is one of the few books that made me feel any genuine emotion.

I cant tell whether his writing is trash or really great

He was from an aristocratic family in the early 20th century. He was exposed to that cultural tradition from a young age

Who, Nabokov or Salinger?

Nabbo

Me

Decent author turned into an "essential" by American propaganda, I can't explain it otherwise. Nabokov's endorsement really means fuck all because his literary tastes are questionable at the very least.

You must be tripping balls

Some of his stories are GOAT.

Some are weird because of Buddhism and whatever ideas he had crawling around his head.

Say what you want to say about 'ole Salinger, but even if he didn't do anything else, he still wrote one of the most affecting short stories ever. A Perfect Day Bananafish makes most other writer's attempts at characterization seem almost embarrassingly artificial.

he looks exactly like my dad

You mean his wife's work

what is your genuine opinion on my dick

fucking pedophile mason

autistic manchild that couldn't figure out his life

>implying there's anything wrong with that