Writing advice thread

From what I've noticed, most great writers base parts of their novels off their personal lives. Melville worked on a ship, Tolstoy was nobility and in the military, Dostoevsky was a gambler that went to prison, etc. All these people lived interesting lives or have experienced great events which led to them writing great books.

How does one like myself write something profound when I've lived a dull and boring life compared to these guys? (Early 20s living in America btw) I don't even feel like I'm living in interesting times. Should I pursue "adventure" in this world while I'm still young? I know its a cliche among young people, but do I need to travel the world or something? Join the army?

Other urls found in this thread:

writing.upenn.edu/library/Mayer-Bernadette_Experiments.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All your canonical writers had interesting lives?

Shakespeare?

Is there such a thing as boring time in world history? could our era ever qualify?

Nah. Shakespeare did approximately shit all in this life and he's the greatest writer in the English language.

That's because he is not the actual author of the works.

Francis Bacon, on the other hand, did lead a very interesting life.

>he believes the "Shakespeare didnt write his works" meme

go live in a ghetto, do some horrific things you hate yourself for, and go to jail for at least six months. also, fuck a prostitute. an older one.

it's a balance, living an adventurous or interesting life does not create good writing any more than it does fuel your insight and perspective.
Look at Woolf, her life was boring and her books have no plot to speak of, but her writing is phenomenal.
Murakami as well, but to a much lesser extent; he manages to leverage his writing with his odd perspectives and magical plots.

Write everyday to become familiar with the craft and figure out what tools you bring to the table and how to use them skillfully

Imagination >>> life experience desu

Go live your life, but don't expect to write anything of worth as a result.

>he believes a man who did nothing with his life, essentially a workman who toiled for money, wrote the plays we call the greatest ever

We can't, we're just faggots.

The winner is the one who feels the most guilt over this.

Yes? Keats was the son of a livery stable keeper. Do you think Keats didn't write his poetry?

I don't know, probably not. I just feel like I have nothing to write about.

Which leads to my follow up question, how do I write everyday when I have nothing to write about?

the sad thing is this board is slow enough that ive seen you post this twice in the past hr

I hate this meme that being a fuckup makes you a better artist. Also depression makes for bad writing every single time

Imagination can't be taught. You're either overflowing with ideas or you're stuck. Try to cultivate an aesthetic sense by reading books with a critical eye.

Keats did things with his life. We also have a lot of biographical information about Keats.

writing.upenn.edu/library/Mayer-Bernadette_Experiments.html

What makes you think Shakespeare had a less interesting life than Keats? We know that he was in the circle of writers that included Jonson and Marlowe. And part of Shakespeare's genius is that he didn't let his personality or convictions get in the way of the act of creation. He stands away from the reader, which is part of the appeal.

He is a complete front for Bacon. It is widely accepted.

Shakespeare was Francis Bacon you pleb

>(Early 20s living in America btw) I don't even feel like I'm living in interesting times.

how are those interesting lives? they were all total fuck ups just like you

I think you mean a strong african workwoman who was the daughter of slaves

n shiett

>Early 20s living in America btw
You don't say. Don't tell me you're white, male and a college student too.

Consider that you're seeing the romantic summary of the 80-odd years or so of those peoples' lives. I guarantee many of them spent just as much time as we do engaged in the equivalent of shitposting and masturbating 10x a day.

>(Early 20s living in America btw) I don't even feel like I'm living in interesting times.

LOL

how could anyone even possibly think this after the year we just went through? HOW?

>Reality TV star is about to become president of America.
>Don't feel like I'm living in interesting times.

I feel you though, OP. Just don't do something life-threatening because you feel it's necessary. The most important part is just sitting your ass down and working no matter what shit comes out.