Homemade "sunscreen"

I'm pretty sure this is bs, but can someone with actual knowledge about these things pitch in?

>olive oil
>coconut oil
>"essential oil" (whatever the fuck that is)
>zinc oxide (non-nano)

facebook.com
/healthhacks.be/videos/1792829744328598

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20705894
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_toxicity
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibenzylideneacetone
youtu.be/gavq_sZZ8B0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm pretty sure the primary ingredient in sunblock is zinc. The other stuff is just there so that you don't absorb the zinc through your skin quicker (not that it matters, it wouldn't be enough to do anything to you). Coconut oil is just there for smell, olive oil there for ease of application, dunno what essential oil is, but you don't need it

wait, what happens if you absorb zinc?

Absorbing any metal in huge amounts will have some adverse affect or another. But you'd literally have to be bathing in pure zinc for 40 hours to absorb enough to have any effect.

The zinc is what is absorbing the UV rays and breaking down. The oil is there to suspend it above your skin so that its actually doing its job instead of just being absorbed

how do I know I'm not absorbing the zinc? what if you use this cream every day?

Why not use titanium oxide? I thought that was safer and more widely used than zinc oxide in sunscreen

I imagine that it would be no different than using regular sunblock every day.

The video shows 2 tbsp which is like 30mg, diffused throughout the cream. Zinc poisoning starts around like 250mg I think. So even if you ate the whole jar of paste in the video you wouldn't even be close to zinc poisoning

>The video shows 2 tbsp which is like 30mg, diffused throughout the cream. Zinc poisoning starts around like 250mg I think. So even if you ate the whole jar of paste in the video you wouldn't even be close to zinc poisoning
but how long does it stay in the body after being absorbed?

also it's only SPF 20, so you'd use more probably.

Also, ever trust this stupid "Homemade" "Hack" bullshit you see on facebook

Always do your own research and learn things for yourself, you'd be surprised how much you learn

yeah that's why I decided to make this thread instead. I never trust facebook / hack bullshit

If you applied that paste to your skin, you'd probably only be applying like 3-4mg of zinc to your entire body. 95% of that zinc will either be broken down by UV rays, or washed off with water. The remaining micrograms that are absorbed by your body will filtered by your kidneys (? not a anatomy expert).

By the time you go to apply the paste again, the next day or whatever, you'll have virtually no zinc in your body

>zinc inside body
>poor kidneys have to filter it out
is that how you get kidney stones?

It isn't zinc. It is zinc oxide. It is what makes it white and reflects the light. It is just a powder and pretty stable. It is normally the main ingredient in all commercial sunblocks.

ok but does zinc oxide get absored or not? and what are the consequences of that?

also, why "non-nano"? what does that even mean?

Just smear mud all over yourself.

apparently some sort of mud is good for the skin? how does that work?

what are the requirements? what makes mud shit and gross, and what makes other mud clean and good?

Keep in mind that OP said "non-nano" and this paper is about "nano". Thus, OP's version wouldn't get absorbed.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20705894

Metal oxide nanoparticles are commonly used in personal-care formulations as protective agents against exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Although previous research has concluded that nanoparticles do not penetrate healthy skin, it remains contentious whether this conclusion holds under normal conditions of sunscreen use. Humans (n = 20) were exposed to sunscreens containing zinc oxide (ZnO) particles to determine if Zn from the particles was absorbed through skin over five consecutive days under outdoor conditions. Two sunscreens were tested-"nano sunscreen" containing 19-nm nanoparticles and "bulk sunscreen" containing > 100-nm particles. Venous blood and urine samples were collected 8 days before exposure, twice daily during the trial, and 6 days post-exposure. As the first application in nanotechnology studies, stable isotope tracing was used where the ZnO, enriched to > 99% with the stable isotope (68)Zn, allowed dermally absorbed zinc to be distinguished from naturally occurring zinc. The overwhelming majority of applied (68)Zn was not absorbed, although blood and urine samples from all subjects exhibited small increases in levels of tracer (68)Zn. The amount of tracer detected in blood after the 5-day application period was ∼1/1000 th that of total Zn in the blood compartment. Tracer levels in blood continued to increase beyond the 5-day application phase in contrast to those in urine. Levels of (68)Zn in blood and urine from females receiving the nano sunscreen appeared to be higher than males receiving the same treatment and higher than all subjects receiving the bulk sunscreen. It is not known whether (68)Zn has been absorbed as ZnO particles or soluble Zn or both.

>what makes mud shit and gross

Living organisms that can be parasitcial to your skin/body. That can be bad bacterial, fungai, flukes, etc.

>what makes other mud clean and good?

High nutrient/mineral contents, low or 0 living organisms. Mud like this is normally extremely hot from geo-active regions so it is sterile and full of minerals.

hmm, if someone were to want the clean/good mud, where would that someone get it without paying through the nose at some stupid women's health store.

>higher than all subjects receiving the bulk sunscreen
so even non-nano was absorbed
>Tracer levels in blood continued to increase beyond the 5-day application phase
this makes it sound like if you were to use this for the entire summer, you'd eventually get into some sort of trouble.

>flabby with no ass

you should honestly just delete that webm

Which is all incorrect since people use that shit year round in some places and have no problems at all. Then again you can get far more dietary zinc in your diet than you'd ever need just from eating 1 serving of oysters. Some people pig out on oysters and don't have issues with zinc toxicity. As a medical treatment you may need to take up to 2000 mg/day zinc for months at a time.

>and have no problems at all
source?

long term effects are not really tracked and tested.

Why not just use regular sunscreen like a non-retard instead of rubbing literal grease into your pores for maximum acne.

>implying commercial sunscreen isn't also literal grease

There are many citations here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_toxicity

I don't even think you could get zinc toxicity, passively through your skin, by applying suntan lotion to your entire body for an entire year. There's a point where the bodies usage and waste treatment has a faster output than the input of zinc from the skin.

Essential oil is just a scented oil that medical woos say can cure everything. It just smells good.

Chemist here. Some metal deficiencies can be caused by excess of other metals in your body, which is how this could become a problem. But it is also a very stable salt so odds are your body can barely if at all use it. I don't know about how (and how much) is going to leave your body, I just assume it shouldn't be a problem if you shower it off.

Some of them are really good for anti-microbial stuff, but that comes with the territory for volatiles like that.

No, kidney stones are Calcium oxalate (which is hardly dissolvable, though still somewhat better than most oxides). Which is why too much rhubarb is dangerous.

>Calcium oxalate
is that relevant to "hard" water?

There's something I don't understand. It looks like if you don't eat oyster twice a day it'll be pretty hard to meet the recommended intake.

>but you don't need it
But user, it's essential.

user, that chart says that just 3 ounces of oyster has over 5 times your daily intake. A fair amount of any of the meats listed would also reach the daily value. Sounds like deficiency would only be a problem in the kind of people who call themselves vegetarians and then just eat cookies and shit.

>no ass
do you like fat women or something?

Good job stumbling into another gay argument you spaz

Please stop. The primary ingredient in sunblock is not metal powders.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibenzylideneacetone

Dibenzylideneacetone is VERY effective at absorbing UV light. This is what is used in sunscreens. Metal powders don't do shit again UV. Lmao.

>Prolonged exposure to sunlight converts the compound in a [2+2] cycloaddition to a mixture of four cyclobutane isomers.
what does that mean?

>Metal powders don't do shit
Prior to using uv absorbers a lot of sunscreens were titanium dioxide to scatter light. Since we're quoting Wikipedia:

Sunblock typically refers to opaque sunscreen that is effective at blocking both UVA and UVB rays and uses a heavy carrier oil to resist being washed off. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are two of the important ingredients in sunblock.[40]

Zinc yes
Oils no

When exposed to UV, the molecule reacts with it self to create a mixture of four different molecules (chirally different) with four-carbon cyclic regions. I think the two linear carbons react with the two linear carbons from another molecule. Part of the energy from the UV wave is absorbed to catalyze this reaction, and this is what makes it a good sunblock.

Cyclobutanes are usually unstable and usually break down into something else.

and Dibenzylideneacetone is entirely safe?

>scatter

In the way it's used, yes. The molecule is too big to be easily absorbed into the skin too.

Check this cool vid youtu.be/gavq_sZZ8B0

cool video mate. shame he made loads of mistakes wich makes it hard/confusing to use as a guide

>.m
Surprising that a dumb phoneposter is this retarded.

he's right though. try making an argument next time.

Sure thing, Tyrone.

We are talking about mineral sunscreens, kid.

>Mineral sunscreens use zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

Sunscreen is bs, homemade or not.

>t. nigger

Lol. I don't see how posting from a mobile device, as opposed to a computer, makes any difference.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I used Veeky Forums on my computer.

Yes, you are right. However, I do not see the point in using mineral sunscreens when other ones are just as cheap and way more effective.

Unless you're the type of person to avoid certain products.

Computers were once a pleb and retard filter. With the inclusion of retard-proof smartphones with internet capabilities, the internet has become nearly intolerable due to rampant phoneposter stupidity.

Being able to quickly determine the method of posting allows the computer posters among us to hide your posts and not be bothered with your stupidity.

>"Does this leached chemical or ingredient improve or maintain my health?" If the answer is "no" don't use it.

That also applies to things your skin absorbs.

>eternal phoneposter

Sickening. Also this is just a recipe for a crude, less effective sunscreen. Im convinced essential oil is listed there because whoever made this is a dumb hippy. It really is just a Facebook mom video that's technically correct in what it presents but in a really retarded way

Yea. The oils are just to provide a medium in which the metal powder won't wash off easily.

Pls don't hate me because I post from my phone.

The product is FDA approved. If there is any health risk in using the product, I'm sure the benefits of avoiding it aren't as great as the benefits you get for using it as a sunscreen.

"Does this chemical provide adequate protection from UV rays?"

"Yes"

"However, is it harmful or harmful enough in where I would be better off not using it and being exposed to UV?"

"No. UV rays are the cause of many health issues. The product is FDA approved and is very effective."