Why doesn't he like DFW?

Why doesn't he like DFW?

NO

You know what my theory is? The Jews control everything and they don't want people awakened

DFW was one of the greatest contemporary authors and the Harry Potter books were good kids' books.

Having either or both of these opinions doesn't stop anybody from appreciating Shakespeare, which is why Bloom is retarded.

>Harry Potter books were good kids' books
I have to agree with bloom that they are not good books, even for kid tier reading.
This doesn't exclude or oppose the fact that people can and will enjoy them, but they are simply not very good at all.

Also I don't remember the argument being that by enjoying x you would stop enjoying or learning from y, but rather about the limit of time and memory each person has, and how an abundance of mediocrity will overfill time and memory, in turn making the person more mediocre.
He goes more in depth and clarity in his stuff, I'd give it a read. You don't have to agree with him, but his arguments are not mere shitposting ala post-/pol/ Veeky Forums.

Maybe he got triggered by DFW mentioning him in a footnote of Infinite Jest...

Here's the note:
366 Sounding rather suspiciously like Professor H. Bloom's turgid studies of artistic influenza — though it's unclear how either Flood- or dead-ancestor discussions have any connection to S. Peterson's low-budget classic The Cage, which is mostly about a peripatetic eyeball rolling around, other than the fact that J. O. Incandenza loved this film and stuck little snippets of it or references to it just about anywhere he could; maybe the 'disjunction' or 'disconnection' between the screen's film and Ph.D.'s scholastic discussion of art is part of the point.a

a. (Which of course assumes there's a point.)

Why do you think?

Imagine how terrible that would feel, to think so highly of yourself, and then sort of get 'whatever you would call this' in one of the best contemporary novels?

Like Bloom happily reading along, to this book that got rave reviews (and yeah, I guess he would have heard quickly about this call out) and then hears theres a diss of him in it...

dissapointedbloom.vlc

and in that footnote, he is trying to say, sometimes there is no 'grand meaning' behind something an artist makes, or sometimes an indivdual can highly value a 'bad work of art'?

If you don't include the replies in the screencap how am I supposed to know how to react?

I wonder how he took being "interviewed" in House of Leaves? It made him seem very Walt Whitmany.

Because the Jews control the banks.

He laced into him for the ancient scriptures and aristotelianism all in one shot. That's one nasty bitch slap. Nice work, Dave (pbuh).

who fucking cares holy shit

He probably would like him, but there is little evidence to suggest that he has read any work of literature thoroughly. Look at the 60 minutes report on that autist that memorized an entire library and ask yourself if he actually understood anything.

Harold Bloom's opinions mean a lot.

How can people like be allowed to post?

no it does mean a fucking nothing

it means more than yours

not to you individually though. your own opinion of something should be way more important than all critics, only pseuds will debate this

DISCERNIBLE

But his opinion is more studied than mine. Everyone needs a mentor.

No visible virtue.

T A L E N T

During my second readthrough of HoL, I came to the part with all the academic quotes and it kind of ruined it for me. I thought they were all very poorly done.

The Derrida was a corny impersonation, the Douglas Hofstadter was totally inaccurate (he's way more whimsical), and Bloom's was mostly composed of a quote (which I'm not one to claim whether or not H.B. would just whip out his own text to make a point). It all seemed very whimped out too me, unnecessary.

Did he give House of Leavs bad press for the jab Danielewski has at him?