Does Veeky Forums still play with toys (action figures, toy soldiers, lego, etc.)?

Does Veeky Forums still play with toys (action figures, toy soldiers, lego, etc.)?

What impact do you think it has on your imaginative abilities? One would think that it could help enhance your imagination, and thereby help you form and come up with better plots and stories when writing.

>inb4 "you have autism"

Fuck off, weirdo

no

if i did it would probably have a negative impact on my imaginative abilities, because toys and the kind of things you imagine toys can do are completely different from the way things really go and peoples lived experiences

now that i think about it playing with toys probably damages your imagination, since you are just stuck in your own head. first hand experience is far superior for one's imagination.

No you autist, see Seriously, grow the fuck up

I never said i did play with toys, i just wondered about its impact on the imagination, and after reading i more or less agree with him

When I was fifteen I made friends with a couple of brothers at church and was shocked to find that they played with toys and action figures on a regular basis, their name for it being 'turtles' after the ninja turtles figures that were at one time the bulk of their collection.
I thought this was bizarre, regressive behavior at the time and to judge from their recent facebook posts--the only way I've interacted with them in years--they're still mentally immature, just now transitioning into the angst-filled phase typical of teenagers the age they were when I met them, some fifteen or more years ago, just in time to embarrassingly broadcast it to people they hardly know over social media.
I often think about them when I feel I've stalled somewhat in my own life.

I did go though a time in my twenties where I would buy cheap lego sets at walmart and assemble them with a couple of different friends, one of us reading the instructions to the others who would assemble the model at their direction.
I don't feel that this is what the OP is talking about, it was more of an activity than 'playing with toys'.

The closest I've come to playing with them is in the last few years when I dug the collected legos out of storage for my two year niece to play with, who does actually play with them as toys, making them have conversations and perform actions and so forth.

I'm sure playing with the toys is enhancing her imagination, but I assume you are older than two or even fifteen OP. Your imagination should already be enhanced. If you're still able to get some enjoyment from 'playing toys' I envy you this source of enjoyment very slightly but I don't envy you of the associated state of arrested mental and emotional development that doubtlessly rides along with it in the least.

reminder that if you play video games at all you are 'playing with toys' and are a manchild.

When I'm not writing, or spending a rare piece of time reading, I've recently taken up the hobby of sewing soft toys. You know, teddy bears, little dogs, that sort of thing.

I like to make up my own patterns, even though they occasionally go horribly wrong and I get a deformed-looking creation. I buy soft toys periodically with the specific intention of looking at how this particular one was put together, how the panels of fabric are shaped.

But I don't play with them.

Someone gave me some beginner Warhammer figurines over Christmas, and I figure I'll put them together and paint them as soon as I get some plastic adhesive, but again -- I won't play with them. They will be put away on a shelf.

To be honest, I'm not sure I ever played with a toy without outside prompting or someone else guiding the play, anyway. Spontaneous imaginative play wasn't my thing.
>genuinely autistic

>inb4 you don't have autism

Do buttplugs count?

>I did go though a time in my twenties where I would buy cheap lego sets at walmart and assemble them with a couple of different friends, one of us reading the instructions to the others who would assemble the model at their direction
What would Freud say about this?

>What would Freud say about this?
I have no idea, but I'm curious to know. What are your thoughts on it.

As an adult, Carl Jung played with blocks. IIRC he said it helped him relax and connect with his younger self. I don't remember him saying anything about creativity, but it's been a while since I read his memoirs, so he may have.

As for me, no

My wife and her boyfriend have many sex toys.

>>genuinely autistic
I, on the other hand, could make shapes with my hands, imagine they are dinosaurs and play that way.
So much for autism.

No.

based jung

I actually think it interesting. Making a story with toys such as tin soldiers can be an engaging challenge.

Look at any given soldier. What is he doing? What is his motivation to be in the war? What is his role? Rank? Which war is he fighting in? On what side? What about these other soldiers? Does he like them? Does he hate them? Will he ever act on this hate? If he has higher-ups giving him orders, is he likely to fulfill them even if they contradict his morals? Where did he get those from?

It's basically just an exercise to think up a backstory from a small actual basis (looks and posture, basically.) You need to know for yourself if it is for you. Don't shy away because the people in this thread say it's not cool or grown-up enough for them.

I played with a few select action figures until I was about 14 or 15. That was well past when the rest of my friends had stopped. I was pretty embarrassed about it and tried to hide it to some extent. That's really the reason I stopped, and I missed it for a couple more years.

Thinking back on it now, I usually did it after finishing a book or TV series. It was like I did it because I was craving more of whatever I had just finished, which was at that point usually some sort of military or science fiction work.

As far as creativity goes, I don't know what it may have done. I'm really interested in world building, and usually created some in depth backstory to explain why whatever I decided was happening happened. Whether I did that because I liked world building or I like world building because I did that I don't know.

TL;DR I played with toys longer than most, noticed no real lasting effects on creativity/imagination.

(you)

>because toys and the kind of things you imagine toys can do are completely different from the way things really go and peoples lived experiences

Do you realize they represent things right?

Maybe I see the guy with the bazooka as George from Detroit. Who is afraid not of the war, but of it ending. Then, he will have to go back to his land, leaving his friends behind.

Toys are tools and the question is if they are tools to excersise your imagination, so: yes.

If you can see just toys, you shouldn't be talking about imagination.

I bought my brother a lego set for Christmas, he's 25. I thought it would be something fun and amusing for old times sake and we all had a pretty good time watching him build it. I've seen some lego airplanes and stuff on the internet that were obviously built by adults, and must have been quite expensive due to all the specialty pieces.

I have a couple action figures still, but I don't really play with them. I will play with legos if given the opportunity though. Honestly sometimes I think the lack of creative play in my life is bad for my imagination.

That it would only be fun with a lot of cocaine?

True! But with much less imagination involved.

At least direct him to the right place, faggot.

Also, H.G Wells invented the modern wargame.

my little brother (20) got a lego millenium falcon for christmas from his gf. we met up and assembled the thing. first time in... I dunno... over 15 years or so I "played" with a toy. I had tons of fun.

When I was 18 or so I would pose my army men like that and take pictures then edit. 26 now and I kind of want to do it again.

My ex girlfriend was supportive of it and would help me edit them. She was so supportive of everything and encouraged me no matter how stupid something was because it wasn't stupid to me.

I miss her.

30 now, the only toy I'd really play with now is Lego but I haven't since my childhood. My toys are musical instruments these days. That said, I have a newborn daughter and I'm looking forward to playing with her when she gets a bit older.