Does the Spanish Language have any good literature...

Does the Spanish Language have any good literature? I'm learning Spanish as a second language in uni so now im wondering if theres any value in learning spanish to read great works of literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

phinnweb.org/links/literature/borges/aleph.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not really no

spanish is the worst european literary langauge by quite some distance

even some meme languages like japanese are better than spanish for lit purposes

Theres nothing exceptional about the Spanish language wither. Russian is very well known for being able to convey ideas, thoughts and imagery in very beautiful ways. as is french and German. But Spanish is such a simple, boring language.

Pedro Paramo for the Veeky Forums response, La Sombra del Viento if you want to fit in worth normies

Arturo Perez-Reverte is good

t. ivan ivanovich ivanov

Please be bait.

No, user. A language with over 400 milion native speakers has not produced a single literary work of significance in its whole history. The causes are still unclear and the object of heavy study by scholars.

Get the fuck out

It has a few good authors I guess, but it's not on the same level as French or English. Cervantes and Lorca are good

unless you plan to write a doctoral thesis on Don Quixote, there is no reason not to just read English translations of Spanish language works unless you have the time and desire to read them in their original language

>tfw the first novel was written in Spanish and is regarded as a timeless classic and one of the pinnacles of literature.
>tfw the Golden Century (Siglo de Oro) is the epitome of European literature of its time.
>tfw Veeky Forums bullshit drives you mad.

Modern Spanish literature is quite meh aside from few authors. But Spanish classical and old literature is full of masterpieces. Needless to say that Spanish poetry is also top-poetry regardless of being modern or classic.

Name some good Spanish poets

Chinese has 20000 gazillion speakers and there's no wortrhwhile literature in it except for some shitty poetry nobody cares about and communist pamphlets, your point? Number of speaker is hardly a determinant when your culture is shit

>except for some shitty poetry nobody cares about and communist pamphlets

China literally has Four Great Classical Novels.

Francisco de Quevedo, Luis de Góngora, Antonio Machado, Lope de Vega (actually a playwright, wrote in verse), José Zorrilla (playwright, wrote in verse), Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, Fray Luis de León, and many many dozens more.

Roberto Bolaño
Pablo Neruda
César Vallejo
Gabriela Mistral
Nicolás Guillén
Ernesto Sábato
Alfonsina Storni
Macedonio Fernández
Juan Gelman
Juan Gabriel
Pablo de Rokha
Chupa Melaberga
Rosamel Forrito
Dolores Delano
Alan Brito Delgado
Keka Galindo
Elvio Lado

Entre tantos otros

>China has four great novels
>The West has hundreds
Really made me think

i mean spanish is better than some stupid shit like afrikaans or dutch or w\e but it pales in comparison to english/russian/french/german/italian/greek/latin

and is more or less a wash/slightly below shit like portuguese/japanese/chinese

so why the fuck are you learning spanish

kek

ITT: monolingual mongoloids

>Chupa Melaberga
Kek
u left out Benito Camelo

t. someone who doesn't know what he's talking about

>But Spanish is such a simple, boring language.
Spanish is the best precisely because it is "simple" and "boring". It's an unambiguous, direct language. Fuck all y'all with you pretty shit, if you want something to sound beautiful go listen to music, language is about communication.

nice

This thread is infuriating.

I'm sitting here amazed beyond belief that you've never heard of Don Quixote. That is some feat user. I feel like you would have to go out of your way to not be aware of it.

>Don Quixote is considered the most influential work of literature from the Spanish Golden Age and the entire Spanish literary canon. As a founding work of modern Western literature and one of the earliest canonical novels, it regularly appears high on lists of the greatest works of fiction ever published, such as the Bokklubben World Library collection that cites Don Quixote as authors' choice for the "best literary work ever written"

Do Americans really know so little of the world?

These guys plus Borges, I don't know what he's like in Spanish but he's fantastic in English

phinnweb.org/links/literature/borges/aleph.html

Bossman, due to language similarities you should be able to learn/read in portuguese with no effotrt and italian with a lil bit of effort. So it's kinda three languages for one.

Que pena que tengas caca en el cerebro

chileno?

You'll also be capable of making some sense out of written French.

>Dolores Delano
fuck, kek'd