What's the point of Ring Notebooks?

What's the point of Ring Notebooks?

It's impossible to write comfortably since your wrist, hand and pinkie keep coming in contact with the ring binder...

Every page is flat, you can write on the complete page.

Why not use a normal notebook that won't rape your hand while your try to write?

Pen bleeds through notebook paper so I usually just write on every odd page. Spiral is never a problem when you "close" the notebook and write like that.

Because they are not flat at every page, you feel consistent when taking notes...well there are normal notebooks who function like that but I rarely see someone selling them

waste of paper

yeah but your wrist and hand gets raped by the spirals when you write towards the end on the left side

Set it down horizontally

mind=blown

>Not using superior top staple bound.
You chose to suffer.

But are they durable? I usually keep a tiny notebook in my back pocket so I can write down ideas I have since I am always thinking about junk.

Oh I don't know if I'd recommend the small ones, they're pretty durable in general but probably not AS durable as something like the midori travelers notebook or the field notes journals.
Other than that the A4 size is super comfy, it's perfectly flat when writing on it and there's nothing for your hand to get stuck on.

use your left hand for the left page and right hand for the right page

problem solved

it is cheap to manufacture
/thread

This, I'm ambidextrous and I do this.

cheaper than ?

I can easily rip out the pages. I can always write on the right side of the table.

Anyone ever used tablets for taking notes?

I'm genuinely curious. Been thinking of getting one.

I can't get over the input lag. If you don't mind, it's alright.

go pro or go home

If you have the money to throw away, then sure? Anything reasonably priced (and small) is just unusable. Pen&paper is still the best in anno domini 2017.

just rotate it so the rings are on top you fucking silly ass bandit

Handy place to store your pen/pencil/cuneiform stick.

Tfw no comfy yellow paper in europe

only way overpriced ones like 1 pad for 5€

Just use loose-leaf and put it in a binder, cheaper.

Turn it upside down every other page

>writting on both sides of a page

"Comfy yellow" is an oxymoron.
If you want something comfy it's cream or ivory paper.

>be left handed
>teacher gives us these books to write in
>tells us to write only on the right side pages
FUCK THESE BOOKS

well, what is the price of binding and glue and what is the price of steel wire?

Is it possible to lean that?

Alright, while I was reading this thread, many things said here bugged the hell outta me.
The wasting spiral guy writes on spiral every odd page, but can't you just close the notebook, turn it upside down, and then write safely on even pages ?
There's also all the other dudes here claiming that rhodia blocks are best, but you like them just because they feel more like blank pages, why not just fucking write on A4 standard paper ?!
Last thing I can't understand is writing on lined paper, what gives ? Do the lines actually add something to the paper or am I missing something ?

The staple bound blocks are far more manageable than if I were to carry around a bunch of loose paper, loose paper will generally get slightly battered after I've kept it in my bag for a while.
The rhodia paper is also pretty dense and not very absorbent which makes it more or less perfect for the TWSBI 580 fountain pen (seen in second pic, it's my two main pens, ink and one of the blocks on a table in my back yard)

Basically it's the simplest way for me to get solid paper in a comfy format.

k, but is a fountain pen viable ? i mean, you seemingly have to carry that huge-ass can of ink and all...
also, I use blank paper because I can work on that at home, and bring the little amount of paper I need in a folder of some sort, I don't need to carry around the same sheets for much longer than a week, as a student

I don't actually carry the ink with me, the pen holds a very large amount as is, enough to completely cover several pages. The fountain pen has become my primary pen for writing, I really only use the other one for if I need to write a graph or something like that, the dull grey actually turns into a nice contrast if you never use it.

Just as a side note in case you want to test out the waters, don't get the TWSBI.
If you want to test out fountain pens then consider getting the Pilot Varsity/V-pen (depending on where you are)
They're far cheaper and write really smooth.
Then maybe if you like them move on to a Metropolitan or one of the Lamy pens.

I'll take note of that
what do you think are the advantages of using a fountain pen, working on paper ?
I personally use a kuru-toga (fell for the meme, but damn is it good) mechanical pen, cheap stuff but the quality is there, I really like working with graphite

You're supposed to fold the half you aren't using under the half you are using.

also, what about ring notebooks with fucking incomplete rings so that when you fold them the pages literally get stuck in the rings or fly the fuck away ?!

>pinkie
just stop with the babby-tawk fgt pls

how about this?
2 staplers = 20cm of iron vs a 1m long of spiraling steel wire

It's mainly the smoothness (depending on which nib size you use) and the fact that colours are consistent. Also the variety of colours that are available.

penfaggots everyone

Why would you want yellow paper you fucking poofter?

>what do you think are the advantages of using a fountain pen, working on paper ?
expressing your homosexuality

>Stop liking things

Thinking of HP Spectre x360, anyone use it before?

>HP
JUST

Why would it be impossible. Just practice. It doesn't seem all that useful though.

>trying to be an edgy notebook memer

just get a cahier you spergs

I would love to use moleskines for all my notes. Unfortunately, though, I'm not Bill Gates.

lmao even if I was rich I wouldn't spend $15 on a notebook, that's just being dumb.

dude, you can staple your own paper, you know?

I do, eventually later on after I've torn out the paper I staple the relevant papers together in the top left corner.
If I were to staple them as you're suggesting though then the pages wouldn't be perforated, there wouldn't be the semi hard plastic protecting them in my bag, so ultimately for it to be equivalent I would need to get some sort of folder to store all the pages in, I'd need to flat out carry less paper with me as stapling 80 different pages together requires a special stapler as well as the fact that it's quite silly when the pages aren't perforated and you thus can't tear them out easily.
Not only that but I'd also need to go out of my way to get the same quality paper, and become psychic and predict the exact amount of pages which I would need for any given topic, which would be especially hard since I waste pages to a silly degree by just doodling casually whenever.

you have serious problem. I meant staple the sheets after you use them!

Then that would again require me to carry a bunch of loose leaf paper with me in a far less comfy format.
Also I like the dot pattern ones.

you are a very complicated person, I can tell.

Dot ruled paper is one of the best, mate.

\documentclass[letterpaper, 10pt]{article} % for letter size paper
% 215.9mm × 279.4mm
\usepackage{tikz}

\begin{document}
\pagestyle{empty}

\begin{tikzpicture}[remember picture, overlay]

\tikzset{normal lines/.style={gray, very thin}}
\tikzset{margin lines/.style={gray, thick}}
\tikzset{mm lines/.style={gray, ultra thin}}
\tikzset{strong lines/.style={black, very thin}}
\tikzset{master lines/.style={black, very thick}}
\tikzset{dashed master lines/.style={loosely dotted, black, very thick}}

\node at (current page.south west){
\begin{tikzpicture}[remember picture, overlay]

\foreach \y in {0.87, 1.74,...,26.79}
\draw[style=dashed master lines](0,\y) -- (8.5in, \y);
% \draw[style=dashed master lines] (1.25in,0)--(1.25in,11in);

\end{tikzpicture}
};
\end{tikzpicture}
\end{document}

if you wish, I can write the code for A4 paper

Go to bed.

>using anything other than printer paper stolen from the library

>Not using superior Canadian technology.

Are you suppose to write on the back as well?
I write on the back and when you flip the page over, you have to skip the top few lines which wastes paper

Is that one of those books where you have a set space to write your solution next to the assignment itself?
Those never are large enough.
I don't know if it's possible for the yellow pad but I generally just tear out the page and flip it over, I'm going to do it anyways when I "archive" them so might as well.

>Is that one of those books where you have a set space to write your solution next to the assignment itself?
It's just a notebook with ruled sheets of paper in it.

easy to flip, the pages won't tear off unlike normal books where pages are glued together, so they will tear off easily

you should write upside down on the left, and upside up on the right, this is the correct way to write on a ring notebook

Pure degeneracy. Ring notebooks disgust me.

with A4 paper, pages do not tear down because they were never attached to anything in the first place

>not buying paper and thread, and binding your own notebooks

Gross. Get out of here hippie.

I learned. Took like 2 weeks on&off.

Being ambidextrous has positive effects on the brain

Source? Native ambi's statistically have a lower IQ. I am not willing to risk that.

I had an Envy, I know software-wise it's probably shit but the drivers for TouchPad and screen + aesthetics are unmatched in price range

Pro tip:
Rotate the binder as you need to so that the rings are always on the left side of the booklet.

Seems I was wrong.

>These varying difficulties are hypothesized to be due to the brain’s hemispheres competing with each other. Scholastic tasks, such as reading and writing, which are associated with Wernicke’s and Broca’s areas, are learned more slowly. This is because both sides of the brain are being fed the same sensory information. One hemisphere is not permitted to continue to develop and surpass the other in this specific area. Thus, these degrees of lateralization are unable to occur. Language, facial recognition, and other visual skills are being competitively processed as well, but nuances of these tasks suffer.

I've turned myself into a brainlet. Doesn't feel like it though, but apparently my brain is competing with itself on just about everything. I'll turn this around and become the first living superhuman with 2 minds

exactly this.

Cheap and effective

I love the smell of fresh pages.

THIS

The ruled line ones are ok, but I prefer the dotpad version. Very versatile for note taking. Paper quality is high af. Nothing better than writing on these with a nice pen. I use the larger size, can usually get 2/3 classes out of one with copious note taking.