Why do you not study etymology?

Why do you not study etymology?

>implying I don't
Pic related

>dude this word came from that word and this place
Wow, what wonderfully useful knowledge!

Pleb

don't need to. i have a god-given gift for it.

spot the monolingual.

it makes it easy to find out word meanings in other languages, it makes english easier because you can decipher the meaning of words by knowing the origin of the segments. plus it's interesting and you're a complete pleb

I love reading about word origins and language evolution. What's a good intro book for this?

It's boring

I've been doing it since before I knew what it was.

LEAVE MY BOARD NOW

I don't know. After reading Cratylus, though, I'm hooked. I'd love to get some book recommendations on etymology.

The Etymologicon

Thanks user

why would i want to study bugs? you think i'm some sort of faggot or somethin'?

>you think i'm some sort of faggot or somethin'?

most likely you are

Hey man, but it's really funny. Although, you can guess word's meanings with their lingüistic roots.

>etymology
that's extremely autistic and useless, but i respect your choice of studying such an autistic and impractical subject because i'm also autistic.

If taking interest in something that really doesn't serve a profitable use in your life is autistic then every single person on earth is autistic.

it is autistic because it is impractical

So is drining at a bar with friends. So is watching sports. So is shopping for clothes you don't need.

Everything not a necessity to life, every luxury is impractical if that is how you choose to view it.

Well you convinced me sir, I was wrong, you won the argument great job.

I do it as a hobbie. All my friends ask me the meaning of words they don't know. Most of the time, I can give a fairly correct answer.