Reminder that the GOAT of the 20th century

in terms of math

is Grothendieck

Other urls found in this thread:

www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Grothendieck.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Dieudonné writes [9]:-

>A general theory of duality for locally convex spaces had to be worked out: Schwartz and I had started its study for Fréchet spaces and their direct limits, but we had met a series of problems we could not solve. We therefore proposed them to Grothendieck, and the result turned out to exceed our most sanguine expectations. In less than a year, he had solved all our problems by very ingenious new constructions; then, with the techniques he had developed, he started to work on many other questions in functional analysis.

www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Grothendieck.html

So Laurent Schwartz and Jean Dieudonné were brainlets compared to Grothendieck.

man was a genius

Grothendieck took an IQ test and only got 118--he was fairly smart but definitely not a genius. If you're a math graduate you can flick through his papers and see some pretty embarrassing errors.

Damn, Grothendieck looked like *that*?

man was essentially responsible for the vast majority of algebraic geometry concepts that we have today

>idiot because he made some errors

HOW?!?!??!

gotta take von neumann here in terms of 20th century and maybe the last 1000 years.

in the study of algebra (the study of groups)

this is best

Grothendieck seems to have been doubly gifted: high verbal IQ, low performance IQ. That's why he made many minor errors. It also reflects on his mathematical style: he invented/discovered many new concepts/constructs.

>it's an american still care about IQ episode

time to kill your self

>Veeky Forums
>disparaging the most robust psychometric construct with the highest predictive power in psychology
Why am I not surprised? This board is filled with dumb ignoramuses.

>>disparaging the most robust psychometric construct with the highest predictive power in psychology
you sure you know what any of those words mean?

Yes. Want me to grab a dictionary and hold your hand through it?

I do...

>psychology
>Veeky Forums

try this is a board of science

Of course, that's why they call him GOATendieck.

Let's write some scribbles I myself can't decipher. Oops im ded.

It's a board of idiots, apparently.

Found the double digit.

Who's goat 3rd millennium? Pic related, it's a hint. His name is Jon Thirdmillenniumer.

>you can flick through his papers and see some pretty embarrassing errors.
[citation needed]

GOATENDIECK

>tfw you will never level up your math ability so much that you master spells
How much of the EGA do you need to know to unlock magic missiles?

My Twisted World by Évariste Galois

so how come brainlets like Grothendieck with IQ as low as 118 achieved more than all the 150+ IQ geniuses from sci?

eat more dandelions

He was a man of high aspirations

At first he wanted to assassinate Hitler. Then he realized he could just let Hitler do it himself.

justgrothendieckthings

i dont know how to let you know i laughed at this without making myself look like a fag

LOLLERBLADING

Did he really have that low IQ? Low as for what one supposes a mathematical genius to have

>give a guy some problems to do for your research
>leads him to solving problems you didn't even know existed

>If you're a math graduate you can flick through his papers and see some pretty embarrassing errors.

Even if that were true, the dude grew up literally running from Nazis, and he still managed to solve some of the biggest problems of the 20th century. He was at a huge disadvantage going into university given that he didn't have a lot of formal education. I'd say he was probably a genius given the things he was able to figure out on his own.

at least all the way up to SGA

he sounds pretty pseud desu senpai

Reminder to avoid Jewish """""masculinity"""" threads

Lies. He was simply imensely creative.

Lies. He was simply immensely creative.

"Creativity" usually maps to verbal IQ. It is true that he often made minor mistakes. He wasn't a human calculator type of mathematician.
Nothing to do with that. He had a much lower performance IQ than verbal IQ. So he could understand more abstractions than he could manipulate at once. That functioned like a bottleneck on his abilities. A pretty famous example is when he called 57 a prime number.

>Did he really have that low IQ?
Yes. Again, the explanation is that he was doubly gifted/"twice exceptional". Look it up.

/thread

Any good references to read about his life and person?

You could level it up enough so that you could have the power to kill all spell casters though

How do differentiate errors that indicate lack of genius from errors that indicate lack of proofreading?

The supreme gentleman

57 is prime enough