How close are we to making mecha a feasible military technology?

How close are we to making mecha a feasible military technology?

Other urls found in this thread:

vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/Elder_God_Demonbane
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why would you build giant slow towers that can be shot from 30 kilometers away?

We're getting further every day. Military systems are becoming exponentially more expensive in development cost with time. Even making new tanks is getting too expensive. See the cancelled expeditionary fighting vehicle for an example of this. All they had to do was make an amphibious tank, well they couldn't, because it just got too expensive.

Why not just use tanks? I can't see any situation where mecha would be superior.

Since OP posted an EvA pic, he's probably talking about the really fast and limber mecha that you can do karate with.

Never. We've already gone past a stepping stone like that and on to drones. Even the argument of human-like drones is starting to wane due to the fact that things are being developed with drone robots in mind that don't need to use accommodations/controls designed for humans.

EvAs aside from being really inefficient wouldn't be possible in real life.

Swamps for one, even if we're talking about giant slow towers. They're not as likely to get totally stuck. Very, very niche though. Probably won't see development though because who needs to fight a war in Louisiana or Florida? Even then we'd probably end up with mecha-gator-tanks instead of humanoid mecha.

The really fast, limber, more powersuity ones would be better in cities in most situations. But that boils down to the size and closeness of human habitats and the use of smaller armaments.

t. Anime pro

Pls explain how they wouldn't be possible, with stem cells we could totally make a gigantic humanoid robot and control via electrical impulses. The EVA needing to be plugged in and only having 5 mins of internal power supports this I guess. The big difference would be the onboard computer would act as the dummy plug, so it would essentially be a drone. No need for child pilots

T. Someone who thinks EVA is an Illuminati brown note and all that shit is legitimately in the works on some level giant Rei and all

You have got to be shitting me.
>>stem cells we could totally make a gigantic humanoid robot
Oh hell fucking no. Muscle is nowhere near strong enough to lift it's own weight on that scale.

Dinosaurs can reach Giant size. Dinosaurs Muscles are strong enough.

We also can further strength it up mixing Stem Cells with Synthetic Fibers (such as Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Glass Fiber, Metals, Graphene, etc)

It doesn't really matter if you get shot from 30km from anything smaller than a LRM5 if you're 50 tons of armor, lasers and pilot. That's science fiction though, I doubt we'd make anything similar to that within our lifetimes.

>>Dinosaurs can reach Giant size.
nowhere near as big as an EVA
>>mixing Stem Cells with Synthetic Fibers
not biocompatible. This won't increase the amount of force they produce.

LRM5?

You don't have 50 tons of armor on all sides. There's also a whole arsenal of missiles that are designed to pierce armor. The easiest way to defeat mechs tho is to just wait. They're overly complicated and would probably malfunction in a matter of hours in a combat situation. Keep it simple.

Or ever. It isn't feasible to make Mechas; there's a reason there has been 0 research ever in the history of militaries to build literal iron giants. You might have combat exoskeletons soon or roughly human-sized android soldiers, but there's no point in building a humanoid at such a massive size.

>there's a reason there has been 0 research ever in the history of militaries to build literal iron giants.
Shit taste?

If you take into account inflation the curve would be near constant.

Eva isn't mecha, try watching the show next time you shitty excuse for a weeb

Very...VERY fucking close... Although why you would want to be INSIDE the thing is beyond me...

You could make a combustion engine mecha with a year of man-hours. But for some reason people want them battery powered.

Evas are angels, not robots.

Would a human even be able to withstand the forces inside a mech? In my Japanese animes these things get tossed around a lot but the person inside is fine. Wouldn't all of Shinji's bones be broken just from being inside the Eva when it falls on its face at the beginning of episode 2?

The real question would be how long until we no longer have wars.

After ww2 pretty much every developed country realized peace and trade is far better for everyone than war. Most of the wars fought since then have been trade/technology wars like the cold war, or the OPEC and China things. Some of them involve "policing" and the rest fall under internal wars and revolutions.

The more realistic option would be to try to unify the world government rather than make war robots.

If the command center where the human is could be separated from the rest of the body say in a pool of liquid (kinda like the brain in the skull) or with a set of suspensions you could reduce the impact form outside hits.

....UNIFY THE GOVERNMENTS WITH WAR ROBOTS

REEEEEEEEE

WATCH THEM ALL PANIC AS HUNDREDS OF STEEL GOLEMS OVERRUN ALL AND EVEN WHEN GETTING SHOT STAND UP AGAIN AND AGAIN TO WAR SOME MORE

Never ever. Imagine something like an Eva trying to stop after accelerating, the fucking thing will fall over every time.
>muh sci-fi tech
Any magical technology that could be applied to mechs can be applied to tanks.
>muh flying mechs
If you can make a 60ton mech fly you can make a 60ton tank fly.

Lets not forget that a mecha of equivalent weight to a tracked tank will be slower, significantly more maintenance intensive, more expensive, carry less firepower and be way, way more fragile. The only case you can make for a humanoid shape is for some type of space vehicle, but it would still be far from the most efficient shape. Spidertanks will be real though, they would work well in space stations (habitats, megastructures ect) because of the chance of zero gravity environments.

If you want a cool future vehicle then think about hovertanks. They will probably exist at some point.

You are forgetting about urban warfare, where tanks are incredibly vulnerable and nearly useless without a fucktonne of infantry support.

anyone who thinks mechanically controlling a mecha with a human pilot is feasible has never driven a fucking car

How the hell could mechs do anything in urban warfare? They would be insanely vulnerable to even light anti tank weaponry and mines. Not only do legs offer an obvious disabling point but actually armouring legs to any decent level would be incredibly difficult, at least modern MBTs can take lighter anti-tank weapons and keep going, forcing enemies to deploy heavier weapons. You could probably just use rifle/underbarrel grenades to reliably disable mechs, making potentially every single enemy infantryman a major threat to mechs.

Power armoured infantry are the next big thing in urban warfare, they would certainly tear apart mechs.

We cannot turn off physics.

The cockpit is filled with liquid

>eva
mecha

You realize power is the only reason right? And thats being dealt with.

My expectation is that cartoon style mecha are not feasible because metal cannot sustain the inertial force involved in jumping around like a ninja while weighing 400 tons

Best I can think of is some kind of mechanized battlesuit for urban warfare or tactical police units. Then again who's going to fucking fund that?

Cost is increasing faster than inflation

>Then again who's going to fucking fund that?
A weeb billionaire?

not military, maybe for space exploration and shit, basically an extension of an already exo-suit

and what fucking advantage would that offer?

Different user, but I can see it being a safer, more powerful terrestrial space suit. I'd imagine it would be useful on colonies too for just moving equipment around. It would be EVA large, maybe like 8-10 feet at the very max, but that would be more of a power armor type deal rather than a mech.

It's really stupid to expect mechs to take over the role of tanks. The role of tanks is to lead from the front and engage enemy tanks head on. There's nothing about that that mechs are good at.

It's more of a huge infantryman. That kind of versatility is nice. Probably not so much on the frontline though.

And what fucking advantage would that offer?
>> moving equipment around
The human form is the absolute worst for moving heavy stuff around.

There are more reasons than just "power" for why a bipedal tank is a terrible idea.

>How close are we to making mecha a feasible military technology?
It will never happen, having legs on you tank is a really stupid Idea, too many points of failure and too much energy required to move.

It makes absolutely no sense.

The real question is how close are we to creating weaponry that could fight elder god demonbane

Even tanks are largely obsolete.

Is xhe vulnerable to anti-matter?

He is invulnerable to anything you can and cannot imagine. He's godstomp incarnate

This is your fursona we're talking about, right?

vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/Elder_God_Demonbane

so basically your fursona

We need a faster way of manipulating robots first, since hydraulics are the reason robots seem so clunky today. If we could create a sheet of synthetic muscle (not any stem cell shit or actual biological musicle, perhaps just a material that could contract when exposed to an electrical current) like animals have over their skeleton, then we could make robots move faster. But no such material exists as far as I know. Plus, If you built a skeleton made of 1000 tonnes of ceramic armor plating and steel, you would the muscular material to be able to move that much weight. But I'm just bringing too much sci-fi into it now

Instead of hydraulics actuators we could use

"Gearless Actuator from Genesis Robotics promises to revolutionise robotics"

From this another thread.It's 3 times faster and more powerful than conventional actuators, 100 times more precise

>, perhaps just a material that could contract when exposed to an electrical current
Dielectric elastomers

Anime is so fucking dumb because those who write for them have doesnt have the slight sense of real combat.

Mechs are downright stupid, a huge thing is easily destroyed you would get wrecked by mere drones shooting your mech leg off. And considering mechs are made of hard materials (unlike cars) the forces of an impact would kill you instantly

But the AT field

Suck. No seriously they do.

Why make a suit for your suit when you could have simply upgraded your current suit?

>Not absorbing the Deus Ex's very essence
>Not negating it's physical form dispersing it's very essence across the universe.

The target profile: being a tall target is bad in almost every situation.
Ground pressure, and square-cube law in general: things do not scale in a linear manner.
Inertia: heavy limbs are hard to start moving and to stop. This ties back into square-cube law.
Overly complicated drive system: a robot cannot fight when face down in the mud. A tank with its tracks shot out can still defend itself somewhat.

I'm sure there are many other things I'm forgetting.

> R^3 > R^2
> Murphy's law is inconsequential
> We're super close to robotic bipedal movement guise!

... I was about to ask why this thread was even this long, but apparently I'm just as baited as everyone else. Gonna go neck myself now.

> R^2 > R^3

A tank can pack a lot of armour into a small cross-section. And have that armour be effective because the rest of the vehicle is behind it.