Recently discovered this book. I have heard good things about it. Is it worth reading?

Recently discovered this book. I have heard good things about it. Is it worth reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>my penis when i see a lewd anime grill

It's a great sci fi novel OP. Definitely worth reading. It's long, but it's a fast read.

>ywn see Jodorowsky's 10 hour long trippy adaptation starring Salvador Dali and Orson Wells

feels sad mang

Pls user my heart

It's legitimately amazing

anime tier garbage, for fucks sake is just a ripoff of starwars.

try harder m8

Whatever you're expecting, it won't be like that. Genuinely weird and beautiful book.

if you are even pretending to judge a book by the shitty film versions, i will have to ask you to step outside, sir.

>Bijaz of Dune

Depends on your reading experience I'd say. If you're used to top tier prose you might find it unbearable. If not, it should be a fun/interesting read.

Overrated

I was just thinking about how glad I am that movie never got made. Seriously, who the absolute fuck would want to watch that film it just sounded like a complete train wreck. Sure a few pseudo film buffs would gush over it, but it would never have made money and wouldn't have been as legendary as Holy Mountain anyway.
Jodorowsky ruins Mexicans for me, only Neruda barely saves them

Don't expect an accomplished work of prose. But it's very clever, original and grapples with seriously big ideas. I would even call it mind-expanding.

the movie is better

pleb, the visuals alone would have made the movie and either way it couldn't be much worse than lynch's

It's unbearable because the prose is literal shit

Its really nice and for me the setting was really original.
But you should stop after the third book.

I think it's great.

option 3 master race

>Is it worth reading?
lol no

I've finished Messiah a while ago and it was a really sharp drop in quality compared to the original. Is it actually worth struggling through yet another filler for what I assume is a great book (God-Emprah)?

>either way it couldn't be much worse than lynch's
oh, dear user. you are so naive.

duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered

Scenes 47-49 : Rabban's Wrath

"Having been ordered to leave Dune, Rabban is drunk with anger, and his Harkonnen army are massacring men, women and children in Arrakeen.

"Rabban sees the Guild ship carrying the Atreides approaching and spits and swears at it.

"At the Palace beggars look longingly through the fence at the fountain and palm grove. Rabban and his soldiers suddenly appear and blow up the fountain killing several bystanders.

"Rabban grabs an old man and asks him how much water the 20 palm trees need - enough water for 100 men every day.

"Rabban then has the old man and other survivors bound against the trees before they are set alight.

"Entering the Palace Rabban orders every servant killed, Rabban himself slaughtering children with glee.

"Finally Rabban orders every Harkonnen soldier into the hall, and once it is full they are commanded to defecate!

"The defecating scene is mentioned by the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary director Frank Pavich in an interview on Indiewire

'In order to insult Duke Leto, David Carradine, Rabban the Beast gets his army, the Algerian army, to pull down their pants in front of the palace and shit. So there's going to be a scene of 2,000 extras defecating at once. So here's Charlotte Rampling, she agrees to meet with Jodo, she gets the script, she reads the script, and she says, "I can't be in a movie where there's 2,000 extras defecating on screen!" '

"On the Japanese Blu-ray of the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary there is a deleted scene in which Jodorowsky talks about this scene, unfortunately it is in Spanish with Japanese subtitles!

"Apparently this scene didn't make it into the Moebius storyboards, but as there are no publicly available images of the boards for this section of the script it is sadly not possible to know if Rabban's rampage is included in any fashion."

i guess you're american, and you just voted for a president with a pee fetish, so wanting to see a dune film with mass shit scenes is all in a day's work for you.

ebic!

It's the same as with Tolkien. Poorly written but enjoyable for the story (if you're into that kind of stuff, I was bored from the start and only finished because I had a sense of duty to do it).

>Poorly written
Are you going to explain yourself, or just spout typical pseud buzz criticisms? Dune is wonderfully writtem comparing it to LOTR is idiotic, Herbert never dumps any garbage chapters of pure lore on you.

“He studied the tallness of her, saw the hint of tension in her shoulders as she chose clothing for him from the closet racks. Another might have missed the tension, but she had trained him in the Bene Gesserit Way—in the minutiae of observation.”

Straight Outta 5th Grade and Power Rangers

I'm glad you dedicated your valuable time to read the first chapter in search of one somewhat iffy-looking sentence.
Really made me ponder.

I remember a moment from Messiah where a character drops some saying that exists only in that universe, and then have Herbert spend the next paragraph explaining what it means and its origin in the most autistic way possible. This was particularly frustrating because nearly nothing had happened plot-wise at that point, and instead of developing it he wastes words on something so absurdly inessential.
Let's not even mention his characterization, which practically became a natural disaster in Messiah.

sounds like a totally patrician movie, they don't do shit like that anymore.

I don't care about Messiah, pham. Science fiction books aren't meant to have 20 sequels. I bet you're one of these people who read the entire Hyperion Cantos

Didn't have the time to read the whole book again 10 years after the first go. It is only a book, you don't have to be personally offended just because there is nothing else that defines you as an individual

My criticism of Messiah applies to the original Dune as well, though to a smaller degree. They are very closely connected books and any radical separation of them in analysis (ie, what you are doing) is nonsensical.
>Science fiction books aren't meant to have 20 sequels
So you are trying to say that Messiah shouldn't exist, and that the story of the first book should've been left unfinished? Are you retarded?
>I bet you're one of these people who read the entire Hyperion Cantos
You lost your bet. I've never even heard of those books.

hahaha, they don't do "shit" like that.. you slay me.

i take it you're a big fan of De Sade, or at least, all the shit-fetish scenes in the 120 days.

What's specifically bad about this? I remember thinking Dune had bad, clunky prose, but I have a hard time putting my finger on what exactly makes prose bad.

>the prose is literal shit
Whereas your post is literally illiterate.

Yeah, OP. It's worth reading. Do you usually like science-fiction? Because Dune is a very unorthodox entry of that genre.

God Emperor of Dune > Dune > Dune Messiah > Children of Dune

Option 3 Masterace here

>It's the same as with Tolkien. Poorly written but enjoyable for the story
Auden didn't trust anybody who said this about Tolkien, and neither do I. Tolkien knew more about language, prose and poetry that you ever will.

>I remember thinking Dune had bad, clunky prose, but I have a hard time putting my finger on what exactly makes prose bad.

again, let's examine this notion. what makes bad prose?

in one of the fucking Dune prequels, Leto's son was killed in a terrorist bombing. when he found out, he cried out "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!".. just like Darth Vader. i'd say that's bad prose.

in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star", when the protagonist learns that his friend Alichino Furuneo has been killed -

"Furuneo's dead," Bildoon said.
"Ahhh, damn," McKie said softly. "How?"

i'd say that's good prose.

i'm coming to think that peoples' ideas of good or bad prose are like peoples' ideas of good and bad music - everyone's opinion depends on personal preference and experience. there are people who unironically like the writing of Stephanie Meyer. there are people who unironically like the writing of William Burroughs (i'm one). and Frank Herbert, or Orson Scott Card (awful spot tard) or Howard Philip Lovecraft are the same.

therefore, i believe that "the prose is bad" really means "i didn't like it", which is a personal preference and not a universal judgement of worth.

also, i left one out: the Dune Encyclopedia. it has a pretty good description of the Butlerian Jihad that doesn't have giant fucking robot battles and people shouting "NOOOOOOOOOO".

/sffg/ seems to be leaking

The single word 'NOOOOOOOO' can hardly be called bad prose. It's just a silly cliche that I'd guess looks even sillier in print.

all aboard the 'everything is relative' wagon. yay.

i have heard there are people who like the prequels, although i've never met one, and if they were crossing the road in front of me i wouldn't slow down.

There is no /sffg/ on Veeky Forums. is that one that you asked gook moot to make and he told you to fuck off?

/sffg/ is sci-fi and fantasy general thread you retard

>pretending to be new

Does God Emporer end on a cliffhanger? I don't wanna move into option 3 for an unsatisfying ending.

It was incredible when I read it as a teenager, every day I would look forward to the long bus ride home so I could read more and I would skip class and camp out in the bush. It's definitely my favourite sci-fi/fantasy novel and I recommend it highly

oh, you mean that place where Dr Who novels go to die? good fucking luck with that.

O mighty God-emperor, please tell us plebs what is good and what is shit, since you are the center of the universe and only you can know the truth.

> conformed for 17-year-old

not unless you wonder if anyone from the Scattering is going to come back and wreck everyone's shit. pffft, what are the chances of that happening?

I remember starting a thread about Mark S Geston's "Lords of the Starship" and getting a stern note from the guy who started the generals thread, informing me that my post should be in his thread. dude sounds like he wants to be a moderator but was rejected.

Veeky Forums, why did you trick me into reading this waste of time?

I'm angry every time I see the shit in the corner of my room. Never again will I read that

there is no wrong or right, man, there is no good or bad, there only IS mannn

Had you actually read your thread, and if it was even slightly similar to this one, you'd come across a fair number of warnings.

>president with a pee fetish

Literally better than being from any other country

Yes it is good. It has some clunky prose and gets weird but it plays very well with a lot of big ideas.

I'd say Dune and Dune Messiah read well together. You can read the first four books and find yourself pretty content. The rest after it are meh and the stuff written by his son is gibberish.

This. Jodorowsky's Dune would've sucked balls.
Lol phaggot. Lynch's visuals were actually pretty good.

>Is it worth reading?

Yes, largely because of its importance in the Sci-FI/Fantasy genre. It's a foundation work that so many other stories have been influenced by.

As to whether or not you will enjoy it, I'm unable to judge. It's pretty much unanimously agreed upon that the world building of Arrakis is pretty cool, and many of the concepts introduced in the work are great.

It does however seem to lack for many in story and character development, also not everybody likes Frank Herbert's writing style.

I've just finished reading it and, while I didn't love the story, I'm glad I read it. It drags at parts, but I'd say if you have the stamina to power through in order to finish a book then go for it. The size of the book means many folks drop out early.

It is THE sci-fi novel.

Aside from the smell, and the yellow stains in the clothing, I agree with you. Oh, and the humiliation when everyone finds out. And the associated infantilism and the implications of the relationship between pee-er and pee-ee.

>not being a lorefaggot
kys

Do you know of any more recent works that have been influenced by it? I just want to read something with a great story.

Not at all. It's a very logical place to stop if you don't want to be bothered by weird entities in time and space never being explained. The final two books are kind of interesting to read just to see how the scattering played out. In the thousands of years prior to Leto's reign, humans had hardly progressed technologically, hadn't really discovered any new planets, and Leto's reign actually actively regressed most of humanity back to medieval technology.

Then after the scattering, you get all sorts of insane inventions.