Someone abused me and told me to start up a philosophy general thread

Someone abused me and told me to start up a philosophy general thread.

If you can answer these questions, you are good at philosophy:

>Name one thing Plato was wrong about
>Name one thing Aristotle was wrong about
>Name one thing Thomas Aquinas was wrong about
>Name one thing Martin Luther was wrong about
>Name one thing Descartes was wrong about
>Name one thing John Locke was wrong about
>Name one thing David Hume was wrong about
>Name one thing Immanuel Kant was wrong about
>Name one thing G.W.F. Hegel was wrong about
>Name one thing Soren Kierkegaard was wrong about
>Name one thing Karl Marx was wrong about
>Name one thing Friedrich Nietzsche was wrong about
>Name one thing Bertrand Russell was wrong about
>Name one thing Ludwig Wittgenstein was wrong about
>Name one thing Martin Heidegger was wrong about
>Name one thing Jean-Paul Sartre was wrong about
>Name one thing Albert Camus was wrong about
>Name one thing Jacques Derrida was wrong about
>Name one thing Noam Chomsky was wrong about
>Name one thing Slavoj Žižek was wrong about

Other urls found in this thread:

classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/politics.2.two.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Holy shit this is a bad thread

>Sartre
>Camus
>Derrida
>everything

the rest get a pass

>he can't name things

>Plato
Totalitarianism doesn't work out well.
>Aristotle
muh featherless biped
>Aquinas
A logical proof for a God does not mean that any of the alleged divine revelation off of which Christianity is based is correct.
>Luther
Using extreme anti-Catholic rhetoric, fueling all sorts of protestant fundamentalism, when he himself was very high church.
>Descartes
Mind-body duality.
>Locke
There is no idealized state of nature from which government spontaneously emerged. Government gradually developed from primate social orders based upon strength.
>Hume
Human behavior is not nearly so rational as he supposed.
>Kant
Just because democracies might not go to war with each other doesn't mean that they won't engage in acts of aggression through more covert channels of which the general populace is not aware. See: USA in Latin America
>Hegel
History has a linear course and a definite end.
>Kierkegaard
If fideism is the only basis for religion, then there is no reason not to start worshiping a tree or a clock.
>Marx
Value is created by the market, items do not have inherent value as a consequence of the labor used to manufacture them.
>Nietzsche
Criticizing the sublime man and then offering another sublime ideal to aspire to.
>Russell
There is a teapot between Earth and Mars.
>Wittgenstein
He didn't solve philosophy.
>Heidegger
Asking what it is "to be" is a meaningless question.
>Sartre
My waifu might be inanimate b-but she cares about my existence!
>Camus
Being engaged in vigorous struggle against something only gives life meaning for a passing moment, marked by firm resolutions and clenched teeth. You can't maintain this state in perpetuity, and your foray into absurdism will ultimately fail and leave you with the same petite-bourgeois lifestyle you had before.
>Derrida
Logocentrism is not inherently patriarchal.
>Chomsky
Anarchism.
>Zizek
Not making more clear what the hell it is that he actually believes.

>Plato's Laws are obviously written by a heartbroken cuck
>tragedy is too complex for a middlebrow like Aristotle
>Aquinas wasn't wrong about anything, go to church you heathen bastard
>protestantism is for faggots
>Descartes was full of shit, read Heidegger
>I don't care about Locke
>I don't care about Hume
>Kant was BTFO'd by Nietzsche
>Hegel needed to remove Napoleon's dick from his mouth
>Kierkegaard, whatever i guess
>there is no proletariat, only bourgeoisie
>who says new values can be created?
>Russell was a giant faggot who left Nietzsche out of his history
>Wittgenstein gets that there is nothing to get. ok i guess
>Heidegger was an unrepentant nazi
>Sartre loved totalitarian statism
>Camus does not belong in this conversation. nice hair tho
>deconstruction is a meme
>Chomsky invokes martians to prove his arguments
>and real communism is a spook

also you forgot heraclitus you memer

and heraclitus was the best of them all

kek'd at zizek

nice

Fucking excellent post.

>Russell
>there is a teapot between Earth and Mars
I know that you know what he was actually trying to point out with this, but just so you know I know you didn't actually point out any real flaws here.

Good post

>implying anyone can be wrong

>All these great philsophers & thinkers

>Zizek

Is he seriously the next in line? Wtf has happened

Hey look, a literate person on Veeky Forums.

If you want a more correct but also more boring answer:

>Russell
A complete and consistent arithmetic cannot be constructed from a finite set of axioms and inference rules.

>they believed "philosophy" wasn't just edgy contrarianism for grown-ups

>upholding church dogma is contrarian

>Jean-Paul Sartre was a steadfast adherent of church dogma

i honestlly can't keep track of how many layers of irony these me me arrows are representing

Care to back any of these claims up?

Aristotle said man was the rational animal, the featherless biped was Plato. And Hume would have agreed with you, it's the basis for his argument against induction. other than that, 10/10.

poo

sublime painting

"God no real"
Covers like half of your list

what's wrong with mind body duality

>>Marx
>Value is created by the market, items do not have inherent value as a consequence of the labor used to manufacture them.

So exchange-value?

nvm you mean the transformation problem

>Value is created by the market, items do not have inherent value as a consequence of the labor used to manufacture them.
Automatization is going to fuck us in the ass without lube.

You can't know nuffin', so you can't be wrong 'bout 'nythin'.

>>Plato
>Totalitarianism doesn't work out well.
Stopped reading there. Comparing Plato's Republic with any historical totalitarian regime is the height of retardation. Go back to Wikipedia.

The constitution of Iran is entirely based on the Republic and the Laws so I'm pretty sure that makes you the real retard here.

>m-muh allegorical readings

Read it however you want: you're wrong and the ancients didn't understand it that way.

>>Heidegger
>Asking what it is "to be" is a meaningless question.
no

You're honestly embarrassing yourself.

Enlighten me, friend, rather than post random insults like an adolescent. Please do tell me how Iran's constitution is not based on the Republic. Do tell me how Plotinus, who forgot more about Plato than you'll ever know, misread the Republic.

>Read it however you want: you're wrong and the ancients didn't understand it that way.
Cicero seems to disagree.
>The constitution of Iran is entirely based on the Republic and the Laws so I'm pretty sure that makes you the real retard here.
Yeah, when anyone thinks of a Utopian society, they think of Iran.
>>m-muh allegorical readings
Do you also think the Greeks were literally hanging out in BDSM dungeon-styled caves?

You're adorable when you try to wax intellectual, user.

You should read Aristotle's Politics, a man who knew Plato face to face, and understood the Republic as an actual political system.

classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/politics.2.two.html

>>Wittgenstein
>He didn't solve philosophy.

Heh

>Plotinus
a literal fucking cultist
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I didn't deny that there are allegories, who the hell would? But you're flat wrong about allegorical readings of the Republic. All of Plato's contemporaries and disciples saw it as a real constitution. I wish you would cite exactly what you mean with Cicero - I've read an awful lot of Cicero and don't remember reading anything like that.

You're dropping random insults and non-citations. You're a fool. Read Aristotle, read Plotinus.

>Yeah, when anyone thinks of a Utopian society, they think of Iran.

I never said Iran is a utopian society but their constitution is modeled on the Republic. I don't think Plato's ideas actually work.

But what if the market value and labor value match? (except in commodities of scarcity)

pseud

>Totalitarianism doesn't work out well.
yeah mobrule is working out well for the west

>Cicero seems to disagree.

Oh really?

>Certe, si modo acceptae a duobus vobis erunt. Sed ut vir doctissimus fecit Plato atque idem gravissimus philosophorum omnium, qui princeps de re publica conscripsit idemque separatim de legibus , id mihi credo esse faciundum, ut priusquam ipsam legem recitem, de eius legis laude dicam. (Leg. II.14)

"But as Plato, that most learned and weighty philosopher, wrote on the republic and its laws, so shall I" etc.

>Atque ille quidem princeps ingenii et doctrinae Plato tum denique fore beatas res publicas putavit, si aut docti et sapientes homines eas regere coepissent aut ii, qui regerent, omne suum studium in doctrina et sapientia collocassent (ad Quint I.1.x)

"Plato thought the ideal state was ruled by wise men etc."

Looks like the truth is exactly the opposite. Though we shouldn't be surprised to find that Cicero knew the correct reading of the Republic seeing as he was a Platonist and all. (inb4 "hurr he's a skeptic")

>Being engaged in vigorous struggle against something only gives life meaning for a passing moment, marked by firm resolutions and clenched teeth. You can't maintain this state in perpetuity
why exactly you can´t?

>I never said Iran is a utopian society but their constitution is modeled on the Republic. I don't think Plato's ideas actually work.
If Iran is not a Utopia it is not analogous to Plato's Republic. This is like saying Democratic Kampuchea was modeled after Marx's work. Only philistines with no capacity for subtlety would even be ready to make the distinction. You cannot enter into a Utopia, that's literally the meaning of the word from its etymological Greek root.

>does it follow the actual tenets of the work involved?
>no, but it is based on it

So fuck off. Does Iran have 1 day marriages for the sole purpose of creating its leadership? Is the entire citizenry only involved in that which they are best suited? Of course not. So how it is it "based" on the Republic? Please, DO explain.

Cherry picking misleading out of context quotes, that's quite the rebuttal. Is that first one in reference to his use of the dialectic? It doesn't matter really, Cicero was practical in every sense of the word, he was without a doubt a skeptic, and did not try to adopt Plato's Republic -- although undoubtedly he was influenced by and understood its merit in the orienting of virtue personal and otherwise.

Again, it's totally irrelevant to say something was modeled on The Republic when trying to argue it was interpreted as a literal guide. The idea is so totally devoid of self-awareness it's almost laughable.

I'm honestly reminded me of Philosophy 101 students who write off Plato as irrelevant, dated, and dangerous because he advocates eugenics. Yes, what vast insight you have to offer.