Why the FUCK aren't you learning another language?

Other urls found in this thread:

ankiweb.net/shared/info/822208674
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How, in duolingo? You could as well roast a frenchman and hope that eating him will give you the knowledge of his language.

私は日本語を学んでいます

>2017.
>Learning chink runes.
>Not learning a European language.

That "quip" was probably better in your mind.

ore mo, yo!

Pero vaya que cosa tan loca, caballero.
los monolinguos jeje

Parce que j'sais le francais comme enfant.

>2017
>Using words in a line to write with
>Not using symbols in a grid to write with

Qué estás diciendo, payaso.

I speak English. You learn my language, not the other way around.

>proud of being monolingual

It's not so much pride as expectation. I expect you to adhere to the way I speak.

*sharts*

I want to learn another language, but have no idea which.

There's a bunch of languages in Europe, but as I'm not thinking of moving to any non-English European country, I don't see much point in learning one.

Was thinking Chinese or Japanese. I'd like to visit Japan or Greece.

because i got lucky. i grew up bi-lingual. we learn 1-4 other languages in school.

English is literally savage tier. Shitty vocabulary, its grammar reveals an understanding of the world that is no deeper than that one holded by a retarded person or a baby. It's the kind of language neanderthals would have hypothetically used.

That's a rather solipsistic way of thinking. My mother tongue is English too, but I'm not so stupid as to think that my language is the measure of all. But I guess that's more of an American way of looking at things than anything else.

What's better, French or Spanish? my guilty pleasure are romance stuff, I do my serious reading in English

Should I learn Latin?

Gonna buy a book in Serbian soon just to be able to read it more fluently, don't know jack shit in terms what words mean, but hey, it's a start.

Other than that, I'm not American, so I already know two languages.

Just pick one that sounds cool then if you're not going to have any major use for it.

You speak it terribly lol.

>not learning Russian solely so you can read the classics in their untranslated form

I do it in purpose

Now write a short poem in it

Because it takes a lot of time and effort that I'd rather put into other things.

Yes. Latin should be obligatory for anyone with half a brain.

Im doing that right now.

cause i want to get back my 23 and me first to see what i would like to learn

Very weird to use 学ぶ here, just say 勉強します, you won't sound like some old-fashioned freak.

I've been learning Russian for about 7-8 months now. I'm finally at the point where I can ready Harry Potter in translation while leaning on a dictionary. So from here on out I'm taking words from it and throwing them in an anki deck as I go. My main goal with Russian is reading so I don't care much about my production skills. I'm also terrible at listening but watching trash tv shows is helping with that.

A strategy I would recommend is start with Duolingo to drill in the super basic stuff, then abandon it for a grammar book and anki decks. Once you have a good grasp of the grammar go back to duolingo solely as a vocab builder for best results. Although beginning to read with dual readers and stufc would probably give better results at thus point. On top of all this consume whatever you can in the language. For Russian I browse threads on /int/ and двa.ч, as well as reading the news in Russian.

So far French has been incredibly easy to learn. There's also a lot of high quality French media to read, watch and listen to which makes it a lot more enjoyable. I'm going to finish Duolingo then maybe buy some grammar books and read basic fiction.

it's easy to learn because a lot of the conjugation are not necessary

now if i ask you distinguish between the uses of
1st form past or 2nd form past and more-than-perfect or even anterior future while giving examples i don't think you'd be able to do it properly yet, in fact a large percent of the population DON'T even know how to use them because unless you want to write stuff that sound like it was written 500 years ago you simply don't need them.

subjunctive and conditional aren't necessary unless you want to write theater pieces

I fucked 4-5 girls in a month in southern france and didnt speak a word

i probably wont ever learn or try to become fluent.

I'm going there (and around Europe) in December with a friend. Where to meet girls? Should I stay at hostels and then just go to bars/clubs at night?

Tienes que volver btw

What its the best app system program, for Android, to learn languages?
I already know Duolingo.

Can you recommend some Anki decks?

They're both applicable. Don't be a pedant.

Anki

There's a 2000 Russian verbs anki deck I like. It provides conjugation and aspects.

Outside of that I make them myself for vocab I find when reading

>2017
>not learning Ithkuil

This one?

ankiweb.net/shared/info/822208674

Do you know any decent grammar guides besides Duolingo? Especially for reference.

Why?

Yes.
Get the penguin Russian course.
It's an excellent easy to read book on Russian grammar that will get you up fo speed on the most basic vocab as well

Thanks!

Also it's easily found in PDF form.

Nice thing about Ithkuil is that, hypothetically, it would enable you to actually think faster.

What should I learn, Russian, Greek, or Latin?

I already speak a romance language so I feel like Latin would be the easiest, but I also would like to talk to people in foreign languages too.

Russian.

You have no use for Greek or latin aside from the ability to impress people with them. Russian is still equally as impressive.

French has some beautiful poetic ztuff, but im a sucker for spanish. Pure beauty, and imo more emotional

Latin and Greek would help me with reading classic literature. On the other hand, Russian would help with russian lit. I can't decide

Be nice to be able to speak the language you learn however.

>2017
>learning Eurocuck language

>subscribing to Sapir-Whorf nonsense
You know what actually makes you think faster? Not being retarded

Latinitas hoc filo deest. Lingua mea materna est anglica et linguas Germanorum Hispanorumque disco praeter id Romanorum, paret tamen linguam Latinam esse formosissimam ac (quale potissimum est) patricissimam. Antiquos, cum imposuerint Latinam ut fundamentum totius sententiae subtilis et probae, recte egisse puto. Indecorum est gentes mundi hanc linguam clarissimam reliquisse! Ita facientibus, non solum ab animis antiquiatis, sed etiam ab scriptoribus tam recentibus quam est Iacobus Joyce (id est omnes qui in scola latina didicerunt) abrumpimur.

Si mea Latina alicubi est falsa, ut eam corrigatis quaeso.

quod est ipsum frigus et delicatus

I just realized, "id" should be "eam." Quod peccatum stultum!

Quis ais?

>learned a language for 10 years
>visited its country for 2 years
>still either have to move there for 30 years or read endless grammar books in order to perfect it

At least I can read meme books now

Which one? Chaynese?

I already know all the ones that matter.

>tfw i can recognize velaposting from miles away

You sound motivated, I've been "learning" Russian for a little more than a year know, I want to make it my fourth language. Unfortunately I don't find enough time to study it, so I just take a couple of lessons a week with Duolingo and watch some Russian videos. I also listen to Russian popular songs and learn their lyrics, such as Кaтюшa. I'm definitely not fluent yet and am barely able to grasp a couple of word in a speech.
Any advice regarding motivation?

Because I have a hearing disability.

I am learning English at the moment. Pronunciation is difficult ;_;

Just get the basics down, then mimic what you hear from the dictionary read alouds. English pronunciation is too complicated to waste time on rules. Grasp it as you go, or listen to pronunciations.

good luck

What language are you coming from?

Also, what said. You'll get it fine by just listening overtime.

learn latin, then russian. if you still have the desire in a few years, learn greek (which will be much easier after russian and latin).

i learned latin in high school using the cambridge latin coursebooks—since they don't lean on rote memorization like wheelock's, et al.

i learned russian using the "golosa" textbooks. i'm not sure if i recommend it without a teacher or classmates, however.

Because French is a useless language and the only one that's interesting to me.

Motivation comes and goes for me to be honest.
There are days where I do little to no formal study (anki, duolingo, reading a book), but as you say I'll always find time to try to read some news in Russian or watch a video or something. I'm progressing slower than I could be.

I can't motivate myself to get better at listening at all. Listening is very demoralising to learn because so little sinks in at first. My main goal is to read in Russian so I content myself with focusing on that.

I-I-I am though.

Europe is becoming less and less relevant. Russia and China, on the other hand, are growing in relevance year after year.

It would actually make more sense to study Portuguese and Spanish and focus on South/Central American growth opportunities than a European one (possibly even African growth potential - which is what the Chinese gov't is doing, btw).

Not to mention, Japan, China, South Korea, and Russia are really the only competition American technological innovation has.

Sorry Euros, it's true. (England and Switzerland are exceptions, or at least partial exceptions, but that's also why they aren't a part of the Euro.)

>one single 'current' year
>stuck in linear time with grid of language doodles

Only some Americans - the dumb ones. You'll notice many of the most highly educated, and wealthiest, Americans are currently learning Mandarin Chinese. Others are learning Russian, Arabic, and Portuguese/Spanish. From an American point of view, these are generally the most relevant languages - for reasons which vary.

It was used for centuries by the well educated. Therefore, you will be forced to rely on translators to do large amounts of historical scholarship for you without it. Also, it makes your English/romance language vocabulary skyrocket.

I'm an English speaker, but I can understand a significant amount of romantic vocabulary simply due to my studies in Latin.

It's historic significance to the West is basically unrivaled.

But user I only just recently learnt english

What's this? OwO

What do you consider to be a good language then?

Non-native speaker?

English is infinitely subtle and nuanced. Stop listening to Americans.

私は日本語を勉強したくない

Myжики, дaвaйтe я бyдy yчить вac pyccкoмy, нy тaм coвeты кaкиe тo дaвaть, a вы взaмeн мeня aнглийcкoмy? Чё, кaк вaм мыcль?

Je parle français mieux que toi.

What made you want to learn serbian? I'd like to learn the language as well, however I'm struggling to find resources. Not even my local library carries books related to learning serbian.

>all the russaboos ITT
As Ivan, it's so strange to me. I don't even remember the last time I've read anything in russian that wasn't poetry. Maybe I'm just retarded but in prose the language hardly even matters to me, unless we're talknig about really bad translations, I feel the same while dabbling in english, russian, or german, not to mention that 20th century russian novels are crap anyway.

Everyone cares about your 19th century novels and poetry. As a Russian learner it's genuinely my only reason to learn the language.

That and I'm an unemployed loser with nothing better to do.

So many of my favourite novels are written in Russian. I feel like something is lost in translated texts. It's not the authors words anymore.

Heptapod B from the movie 'Arrival'
cf. the short story 'Story of Your Life' by Ted Chiang, on which the movie is based

The learn Chinese meme is dead desu.

I barely have anything worth saying in English.
Saying the same dumb shit I'm already saying, but in a different language, isn't high on my list of priorities.

>You'll notice many of the most highly educated, and wealthiest, Americans are currently learning Mandarin Chinese
Citation Needed

Ye. China has been teetering on the edge of economic collapse for a while now. They'll hold out for another year or two at most unless they can curb the building bubble

>So from here on out I'm taking words from it and throwing them in an anki deck as I go

Should be doing this from the beginning m8. Maybe I should learn more languages (I'm in my 4th) before speaking authoritatively, but each experience leads me to believe that vocabulary must precede everything.

I agree. I regret not properly focused on vocabulary at the start. You don't realise the importance until you've already got the grammar down and realise just how far you are from anywhere because you don't have the vocab

Lol, no, it isn't.

You obviously don't know much about finance.

No, If you want to verify it, get those fat hands of yours clicking and go do some research you lazy shit.

I can't even begin to imagine from where you derived such an asinine perspective.

this is such bar talk

coincidentally - educated, wealthy american here who is beginning to learn mandarin chinese.

Nobody really gives a shit, duolingo is a shit site regardless.

I was born Russian, but a plebian life made me forget how to read it. I understand and speak it fine, though it's quite rusty. I'll polish it later on.

For now, I want to learn Ancient Greek, but I'm relying on books. What can /lit recommend? Difficulty doesn't matters. I just want something quintessential and comprehensive.

duolingo is shit and you probably dont know aynthing lol