Do most mathematicians turn down monetary prizes to virtue signal how humble they are...

Do most mathematicians turn down monetary prizes to virtue signal how humble they are? Is being able to do that the REAL prize attached to the millenium problems and such?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overjustification_effect
matematicas.unex.es/~navarro/res/prizes.pdf
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/20/virtue-signalling-putdown-passed-sell-by-date
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Do most mathematicians turn down monetary prizes to virtue signal how humble they are?
who has turned down monetary prizes other than Perelman/Grothendieck? Perelman turned his down because he didn't think he deserved it and Grothendieck said he had enough money already

> Is being able to do that the REAL prize attached to the millenium problems and such?
i hope whoever solves the next one declines it just for laughs

>virtue signal
neck yourself you absolute cretin

Why don't you stop being a rude meanie and answer my question?

>Accept money
>donate to charity
it's not hard

what question?
>did person p do x for simple straightforward reasons or is it (((ebil plan)))?
go back to your teenage shithole and stop clogging up this board
>most mathematicians
>literally two
neck yourself imbecile

>calls others teenagers
>projects and uses unneccesary hostility
?

>complains about virtue signaling
>suggests donating to charity, the biggest virtue signal of all
you sure your head's on straight?

You can donate anonymously. Not accepting the price is a form of hyper-autistic virtue-signaling as well.

>virtue signalling
Because nobody has actual morals, right?

What's the morality in turning down a prize you won, I don't get it?

some people don't like the idea of taking money from people they consider corrupt

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overjustification_effect

Who is corrupt?

it's about telling the whole world to suck your dick and that math is the only thing in life that matters, and then going to live with your mom and eat tendies for the rest of your life. It's like the most based thing you can possibly do.

In Grothendieck's case when he rejected the Crafoord Prize he wrote a letter saying that

>the ethics of the scientific community (at least among mathematicians) have declined to the point that outright theft among colleagues (especially at the expense of other who are in no position to defend themselves) has nearly become the general rule, and is in any case tolerated by all, even in the most obvious and iniquitous cases. Under these conditions, agreeing to participate in the game of "prizes" and "rewards" would also mean giving my approval to a spirit and trend in the scientific world that I view as being fundamentally unhealthy, and moreover condemned to disappear soon, so suicidal are this spirit and trend, spiritually and even intellectually and materially.

matematicas.unex.es/~navarro/res/prizes.pdf

there's points in life where you have to decide how much you'll compromise your values, whether you want to uphold what you believe in or let them slide for convenience/other people's sake, Grothendieck clearly repeatedly stood for himself

based grothendieck

Grothendick because he's a dick

which would you want to write on your CV?
>I have a Fields medal
or
>I refused a Fields medal
Latter is cooler, I think.

You can take the medal and not the money, NO?

>virtue signalling
Why does this term suddenly became so popular? Is this a new buzzword for "action I don't like"?

I wouldn't expect someone who is socially retarded to understand.

They are signalling a virue of theirs, humbleness

>Why does this term suddenly became so popular?
Why does anything become popular?
It's an accusation in insincerity/inauthenticity that spread virally because it sounds like a scientific term. Also it spread because such accusations are often on point.

I meant, is there some specific person or article which used "virtue signal" about half a year ago which rekindled its usage?

It was rekindled by social medias and people and SJWs virtue-signalling on them out of their minds.

>theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/20/virtue-signalling-putdown-passed-sell-by-date

I see some have been complaining about its usage for a while. But yeah, according to google trends the jump in popularity coincides roughly with Trump's inauguration and the relationship is causal - right-wingers crying about protests and social media activity of the left.