Inflationary epoch

I watched a Veritasium video awhile back and he made it sound like the heterogeneity of the universe is due to virtual particles (field fluctuations as he called them) being stretched during the inflationary epoch. That doesn't make sense to me. What's the real reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_principle
profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_problem
link.springer.com/article/10.1134/1.1891204?no-access=true
youtube.com/watch?v=zO2vfYNaIbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>heterogeneity of the universe
The universe homogeneous. Quite astoundingly so.

Inflationary Period is theory saving of highest highest order.

If you understand that the fact that the Universe is expanding does not necessarily mean it started out as a point, a lot of the nonsense infecting astrophysics disappears.

When you have an expanding nebula of gas and debris after a super nova, are you going to conclude that you can trace the path of the constituent particles back to a point source? Of course not.

Virtual particles being stretched during the inflationary epoch.

>hurr durr
Brainlets make me kek.

How? If that was the case wouldn't there be uniform matter distribution instead of what we currently have?

It's the cosmological principle user. On it's largest scales, the universe is homogeneous and isotropic.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_principle

virtual particles are not real. they are just a mathematical artifact due to a linearization

>On scales of 250 million light years or more
Okay, but on smaller scales it's still not homogenous.
In the video I am referencing the guy makes the argument that somehow inflation and "field fluctuations" are responsible for allowing that heterogeneity at smaller scales at all, and that if those two events did not occur the universe would have been effectively static. What I don't understand is how inflation influenced this or allowed for smaller scale densities to differ.

Wikipedia says this on quantum fluctuations:
>Quantum fluctuations may have been very important in the origin of the structure of the universe: according to the model ofinflationthe ones that existed when inflation began were amplified and formed the seed of all current observed structure.

Which is confusing because I was under the assumption that these virtual particles were both not "real" and always self-annihilated. Did inflation literally just scale their energies up or something? I don't understand what exactly they did.

>are responsible for allowing that heterogeneity at smaller scales at all
That's wrong. It's more to do with dark matter clustering.

'Virtual particles' is a crap name.

They're real, and they aren't particles.

profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

Would you mind explaining further? Specifically on why it's wrong and how dark matter clustering influenced it?

>Dark matter clusters together
>Increased gravitational pull in those regions
>Causes galaxies to form in those same regions

Inflation would have spread all of that dark matter apart though, wouldn't it?

Gravity has an infinite range.

Are you taking about the horizon problem?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_problem

But unless that dark matter had the same kind of thing I'm talking about with virtual particles happen during inflation the dark matter would have been spread uniformly and have the same force of gravity on it from every direction, right?

Hmmm, maybe.

He's right. A perfectly homogenous universe would not allow for any matter to form. Fluctuations created local pockets of slightly more dense and sparse regions, which then got inflated.

>Which then got inflated
Yes, but what the hell does that actually mean? What was the actual mechanism? How and why did the virtual particles matter when they usually annihilate immediately? Did inflation literally pull them apart so they couldn't annihilate?

>Did inflation literally pull them apart so they couldn't annihilate?
Yep, that's what happened. Inflation was kind of ridiculous. Pulled things apart faster than light-speed. Sounds like it doesn't make any sense but it fits the models perfectly, and it's not like we understand how dark energy behaves at all anyway.

inflation only lasted for 1E-35 sec

this is crazy fast so the virtual particle foam at the beginning of the inflation would swell it pretty much unchanged

link.springer.com/article/10.1134/1.1891204?no-access=true

youtube.com/watch?v=zO2vfYNaIbk

That's actually very well made, can't believe i've never seen that channel before