Any good literature on the "proper" use of psychedelics?

Any good literature on the "proper" use of psychedelics?

I know beneath all the pseudo-spiritual Bill Hicks shit there must be some actual, practical, psychotherapeutic use for it. I even heard it's making a comeback in wonk-approved psychology. So please guide me.

Thikal
Phikal

/thread

Isn't Timothy Leary the dude for this?

Woops, i meant Tihkal and Pihkal

No, leary was a fucking hack

>We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled that 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force - is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

there is no "proper" use, it depends on what you want to accomplish. and there doesn't need to be, its most fun when its recreational and free of pretense

>dyslexic chemist
dude you're gonna die

>free of pretense
This is the most imporant part imho. Drop any sort of religious or spiritual expextations you have about these substances and let the experience be what it is. Just know that youre gonna be fucked up beyond belief and plan out the experience in accordance (make sure you have a full day of 0 responsibilities, have a trip sitter if youre still a noob, have food drinks and smokes ready to go)

>Drop any sort of religious or spiritual expextations you have about these substances and let the experience be what it is.

that's literally what it says in the OP you retard

Yes. Perhaps state with How to Make Your Own Religion, as it outlines their approach from the beginning. Then try out Info-Psychology

I love Hunter, but he was a cynic through and through. And this is typical Leary bashing from someone who has not explored his actual work or psychological models.

Stanislov Grof has done some great work in the healing effects of non-ordinary states of consciousness, including lots of work on psychotherapeutic LSD sessions.

If you have a proper dose, you can't NOT drop your pretences. Sometimes best to just keep them around and have a jolly Buddha laugh at them.

Go fuck yourselves. If you are not looking for deeper meaning insides these drugs which give deeper understanding of things, what the fuck are you doing these drugs for?

There is only one thing I can say for acid and the environment, simply do not do it around other people who are not tripping, or those who have taken different trips then you.

Look into your drugs how ever you want to, if you want a spiritual experience, link your feelings with the spiritual while you are tripping, there is literally nothing wrong with it. It get's annoying when you start expressing it towards other people.

That being said, if you can - fuck off all psychedelics EXCEPT DMT. I have done them all, several different types of mushrooms, literally ate 100grams of blue meanies for my first trip - 300grams of fresh picked blue meanies from a paddock near my house between 3 of us. I have one acid countless times. The only drugs I have tried on the psycaldeic end are the high end ones, Ibogane, Auyhasuca etc, etc, but they are just DMT offshoots.

YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON DMT. Literally, everything to do with drugs you see in movies, weather i be acid, mushroom, peyote or marijuana, they are all expressing DMT.

DMT is the king, DMT is the lord. DMT is like no other psycadelic out there and is the most literal form of a trip out there, I felt like and it looked like I was travelling through a fucking wormhole, spiritually. I would look up and open my eyes all I would see is everything moving upwards really quickly like the jackpot on a slot machine, or like the ground was the floor of an open elevator rising very quickly. I would close my eyes and see the generic artwork you see when you see "hippie artwork", but unfortunately I did not smoke enough DMT, I literally felt myself fat out of the trip and come back down, while my mate who had had enough tripped and said he saw the 'lady of light' a common theme among DMT experiences. He said he didn't see anything, but he knew he was very very small and the lady of light encircled him like the size of a planet and beckoned him to come with her.

That shit is as spiritual as you want to make it. Acid/mushroom and the like s about geometry and trip visuals, DMT is a truly tripped out spirit.

tl;dr - Take DMT.

Some good advice and also a lot of bullshit in this post, OP.

t.Never tried DMT.

You're so wrong. And careful with that idol, user.

>says there's no proper use
>tells us what proper use is

Prove me wrong then. What did I say that could actually be considered wrong?

Ibogaine has no dmt

>what the fuck are you doing these drugs for?
recreation

>have smokes ready to go

/thread

OK. Well I liked you passion for deeper meaning. Ignoring your trip reports and poetry, I'll take issue with:

>Ibogane, Auyhasuca etc, etc, but they are just DMT offshoots.
What do you even mean by this? The only substance strongly linked in your list is ayahuasca, but it is way more accurate to so DMT is an offshoot of that, not the other way around.

>Literally, everything to do with drugs you see in movies, weather i be acid, mushroom, peyote or marijuana, they are all expressing DMT.
nonsense

>Acid/mushroom and the like s about geometry and trip visuals, DMT is a truly tripped out spirit.
If you are focusing on visuals during acid or mushrooms you are missing out. Besides, DMT is way more about immersion in visual dreamscapes.

>What do you even mean by this? The only substance strongly linked in your list is ayahuasca, but it is way more accurate to so DMT is an offshoot of that, not the other way around.
DMT is the compound. Ibogane and Auhuasca if I m worn g about anything it's the fact that Ibogane isn't actually DMT.

>nonsense
Not at all. Pay more attention.

>If you are focusing on visuals during acid or mushrooms you are missing out. Besides, DMT is way more about immersion in visual dreamscapes.

If you are not having visuals with acid or mushrooms you have shit acid and mushrooms. Yeah acid and mushroom are not entirely visual, but if they are only that wave of euphoria, you got some shit drugs.

This is the best advice in the thread so far, if you go in with specific expectations you'll end up either unfairly coloring the experience or being disappointed or both. In addition, while certain drugs will make you feel like you've gotten all kinds of singular insight, in retrospect most of it is inane shit that just seemed profound while you were high as fuck. That's not to say you can't gain anything valuable from the experience, but take everything you think of with a grain of salt until you can evaluate it while sober.

Another important thing to remember is that depending on the substance and your level of experience, if you end up tripping really hard there will probably be a degree of anxiety if not outright panic, especially if you don't have a sitter. In this case, just remind yourself that you took drugs and no matter what you experience it'll be over in a few short hours. Some calming music or a grounding activity like smoking tobacco or playing an instrument can really help you get into a better frame of mind here.

My final advice is that anything you intend to use or interact with during the trip, be it cigarettes, water, food, music, whatever, you should get ready beforehand so you don't waste your trip trying to organize something to do

>DMT is the compound. Ibogane and Auhuasca if I m worn g about anything it's the fact that Ibogane isn't actually DMT.
Yes, so you admit you were wrong.

>Not at all. Pay more attention.
So you will just try to belittle me instead of actually bringing anything at all to the table? I don't know why you are trying to reduce all drugs into one drug. It doesn't make any sense and is pointless. Different drugs provide different types of experience. Why on earth would you suggest that all media expression of drugs is about DMT? It is really weird...

>If you are not having visuals with acid or mushrooms you have shit acid and mushrooms. Yeah acid and mushroom are not entirely visual, but if they are only that wave of euphoria, you got some shit drugs.
I didn't say I got no visuals, my point was that acid and mushrooms have a lot more to offer AS WELL AS the visuals. So for you to say those drug experiences are reducible to geometric hallucinations is really misleading, PARTICULARLY when you're championing DMT which has an experience centred around trippy visuals much more than the other psychedelics.

I like DMT, I'm not trying to attack you, it's just you're spreading a lot of misinformation as you seem like you're still in a honeymoon period with this drug in particular.

>this is the best advice in this thread so far.
No, it's not. It's not the best advice for tripping and it is DEFINITELY not the best advice in relation to OPs actual question.

You can also try The Psychedelic Experience and The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide.

And just to add to this, I've always found the writing of Robert Anton Wilson to be very good for this sort of thing. The way he describes his own self-directed psychedelic therapy in Cosmic Trigger has always been useful for me.

>there must be some actual, practical, psychotherapeutic use for it
Read the Johns Hopkins reports on psilocybin therapy for end-of-life depression.

Terence McKenna is probably the most influential man in the subculture after Leary. He's knowledgeable and verbose, a lot of fun to listen to, but not necessarily intellectually rigorous. He's got plenty of interesting lectures which you can find on youtube. His talks about mushrooms were what got me interested in the topic in the first place.
If you want a book, try Food of the Gods. It's a good rundown on how visionary plants are used around the world, plus an introduction to some of his other ideas.

Look up the The Julio Mario Santo Domingo Collection

The guy who first made lsd (can't wikipedia right now) was a scientist and i think wrote books on his expierence

kek

DICKS EVERYWHERE

Get outta this place man and go
with the REAL users.

420chan is where you go -->

Last I was there ppl were fucking confused and maniacal trying to figure out which treads/comments were real and which were made by a bot. Lolz asunder. Much SLAYER.

Go back there.

Practical LSD Manufacture by Uncle Fester

Doesn't cover use so much rather manufacture (duh) but you could check it out. There are PDFs floating around online if you google it.

> This book contains the most detailed, comprehensive and concise descriptions ever compiled of several innovative procedures for extracting LSD from natural sources, as well as a stunning breakthrough in psychedelic drug preparation: a simple process for extracting the hallucinogenic substance 2,4,5-trimethoxyamphetamine (TMA-2) from the common, widely-available calamus plant! Also includes tips on solvent management, cautionary notes and more.

That's about as objective and 'proper' as you can get, I guess. For a more subjective/personal but still scientific take, try:

LSD - My Problem Child by Albert Hoffman

> Here, at last, the father of LSD details the
history of his "problem child" and his long and fruitful career as a research chemist... Surpassing its historical value is the immense philosophical import of this work. Never
before has a chemist, an expert in the most materialistic of the sciences, advanced a
Weltanschauung of such a mystical and transcendental nature.

PDFs for that one are again highly google-able.

I suppose Carlos Castenada isn't to your taste?

aldous huxley doors of perception

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassmen is pretty good
Terence McKenna, as someone said before, is good, especially his lectures. The book The Archaic Revival is some lectures and interviews with him if you don't want to read Food of the Gods. True Hallucinations is fun, but not really what you're looking for.
Supernatural by Graham Hancock is neat, but also probably not what you're looking for.
There's a book called LSD by Richard Alpert before he quit being a Harvard professor and changed his name to Ram Dass, but I don't know how easy it is to track down, I found a copy at a local used-book store so anything is possible. A photo in it is the source material for the cover of the album The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips, for whatever that's worth. It's set up as a Q&A about LSD, how to do it, why to do it, etc, without being too obviously pro-psychedelics
Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy might get you where you want to go, but I'm not paying $30 to find out if it's actually as good as McKenna says it is
The Sacred Mushroom and The Cross by John Allegro is definitely not what your looking for, but probably deserves being brought up at least once in this thread, just to cover all the bases

Shrooms are a pretty eye opening experience. I don't mean any kind of hippie spiritualism crap, I mean they fuck your brain and put you into a completely different mode. You just see things from a new angle. If you have any problems that are making you depressed though, it is likely you are going to have to directly confront and work them out in your head especially during the come up. But then once you peak, it's pure bliss.

I guess they just give you a completely new perspective. It can be horrific though sometimes in the beginning. I usually regret taking them at first and kind of panic internally.

albert hoffman

Good recs man. Thank you.

Michaux, if you want an artist's take.

you also forgot to fucking mention that it was a book by ethnobotanist Alexander Shulgin, you nonce.