The phenomenology of spirit

Just bought this, what am i in for Veeky Forums ?

oh
it's one of my favourite books
make sure to read marx afterwards

You will literally NOT be able to read this without a guide of some sort.

yeah he will
if it's a he
bitches hate hegel
they can't understand it
are all women low-key autistic?

Good luck OP. Remember: patience is a virtue.

i skimmed the first page and it seemed kinda hard haha

oh wellz, it will look good on my shelf :)

A mistake.

Watch Gregory Sadler on yt, they're a gift. Remember to not skip the preface and intro btw

>my book will look good too wink wink

read sum 59 pages of it

i understood nothing

dont try to read the preface

>read the preface
Don't read the preface

What are the arguments?

the preface was written after he finished the rest of the book and wont make any sense unless you've read the rest of the book. read it at the end and just start at the introduction.

I really, really hope you started with the Greeks beforehand.

Cheers! Will try this book this year at some point.

A 19 year old kid on shrooms who thinks he just discovered the hidden truth of the universe and keeps on babbling incoherently for hours on end

A spirit trying to find a firm ground for meaningfully / durably experiencing itself, the world, and eventually other spirits

To read Findlay's commentary desperately for an explanation

To occasionally find Findlay has just made it worse

To come back in a few years and understand everything a lot better once you chance upon a few explanations of Hegel that make a bit more intuitive sense and give you something to hold onto

Dr. Gregory Sadler on YouTube has an ongoing series where he goes through The Phenomenology of Spirit and explains each section. Check it out, he's a great lecturer.

lol valid
hegel is the level of a 19 year old
especially the conclusion of logic
just stopping-thinking and using your senses as attaining to the absolute idea as emobied in "nature"

If you haven't done a close reading of Descartes, Berkley, Hume, Spinoza, Kant, Aristotle and Schelling all you'll be doing is augmenting your writing.

>what am i in for

Reprogramming. Upgrades.

Just wanted to second this. For some reason I thought I should start with the preface, but yeah, don't do that.

There are some very helpful notes at the back of the work also.

How long is this and how difficult?

very long and very difficult

is it harder than kant?

yes

Skip the Prologue until the end. It's a entire piece of work in itself.

Don't skip preface, watch the videos by Based Greg, he goes through it.

in what manner

incomprehensible writing

In my country, he is very praised by women.

No, it can be read as an outline of the ideas in the book itself, though they're so abstract and convoluted that keeping them straight on a sentence by sentence basis can be a challenge.

Trust this guy. This is a very difficult book, especially for someone uniniciated in philosphy. You might be able to read it by yourself if you already went through the classics up to Kant. But if you haven't, why not get help from the experts? Or, you might wanna read through it once (Leave the preface for the end though, it's really too dense to understand it at the beginning) and then afterwards do a re-reading with a guide. I think that's the most valuable way of reading it. But it's really dense, so I'd advice against it desu.

And research the guides. This book has a ton of commentators but some of them are better than others. Really research them. Off the top of my head I remember Kojeve but there's another left dude I can't remember the name.

Also: Skip preface until the end.

Also: It's dense becacuse Hegel sucks at writing, he literally writes like an idiot. But that's where the richness of the text comes from, and is part of the genius of his ideas (no sarcasm)

/thread

sophistry of the highest order. a truly nasty piece of work born out of intellectual dishonesty. best commited to the flames.

>Reading the work of some clumsy charlatan

>post kantian so you already have to understand kant clearly, not just approximately
>you have to deal with understand Hegel own comprehension of kant
>hegel write like a FUCKING 4 YEAR OLD
>obscure themes
>long af
>preface is horrible