Tfw you want to dedicate your life to Philosophy but the only way to make such a living is to engage in the corrupt...

>tfw you want to dedicate your life to Philosophy but the only way to make such a living is to engage in the corrupt inauthentic academic establishment

If you have not engaged yet, how do you know that it is corrupt and inauthentic?

I spent 4 years getting an Honours degree in it.

How does that make you feel?

Suicidal because I knew everything beforehand and everyone I met at University was a hack and charlatan.

Time to get out the ol barrel and start shitting yourself

I have often considered living like Diogenes...

Why not? Don't talk about it, be about it.

There is always the monastery my good friend.

Yes but don't you have to make two sets of prayers? One set to become a brother and then the official set of prayers and vows to become a Monk? Aren't you then bound for life?

You could go to seminary shcool

>Suicidal because I knew everything beforehand

and yet uni didn't teach you that you are a pretentious cock

Most philosophers didn't 'work' as philosophers. They were military generals, doctors, artists, explorers, scientists, sometimes just rich men etc

Listen, buddy.

I don't mean to sound pretentious but I literally knew every module beforehand. I was already studying Graduate level stuff before attending University.

was he right

I already discovered the Truth. Sorry beat ya to it, find another profession. And philosophy isn't my primary profession either. A true man and philosopher does more than just think.

>I already discovered the Truth

Stopped reading right there.

It's kind of weird being the most intelligent being in the known universe and posting on Veeky Forums but there is no law against it. I don't separate myself from inferior people and put myself in an ivory tower.

Kant
Hegel
Schopenhauer
Husserl
Heidegger
Russell
Moore
Wittgenstein

God damn son, that's just off the top of my head.

Have you considered that your recognition that philosophical institutions' culture is a vanity means that the abstract approach to finding 'meaning' (in the broadest possible sense) is useless. I was obsessed by 'answers to philosophical questions' for a long time until I found that merely exercising my capabilities as a person and 'conquering' obstacles was genuinely satisfying, as if human nature were naturally such that even simple, trivial victories would always be more satisfying and *human* than any possible abstraction about life generally.

In other words, I have begun to feel that philosophy is something along the lines of an artificial response to an artificial problem (created thru language) and that attempting to find satisfaction in philosophy is like trying to run forward on a treadmill that exactly matches your speed. You can do 'work', but the nature of the game is such that there is no way to progress. Off the treadmill, on the other hand, it is possible to do many things. Language seems to define much of existence (and it does), but to solve *all* of existence through language is to imagine that there is only the treadmill. It's easy to get too focused on what is the fundament of thought (language), but which is not the fundament of being (the entire rest of human experience).

Hopefully that made some sort of sense.

You can blame Kant for this. Before Kant many/most philosophers were not career "philosophers" or even academics. Although I still think if you come up with something profound, people will read it, no matter your occupation. Perhaps not in your lifetime, but future generations will recognize its brilliance.

Is this copy pasta? Because you should save this.

I have already read the entirety of language and linguistic philosophy.

Not copy-paste I just wrote that. Does it seem like copy-paste because it comes off as pretentious/amateurish or because it actually seems insightful?

Philosophers and scientists have historically been privileged individuals who didn't have to do ANYTHING for an occupation, whether due to slaves or coming from money. In their free time they chose to pursue knowledge and learning. It isn't until recently that this has changed.

Ironically it's now the working class slaves who learn how to be engineering and scientists to work more than 40 hours a week while rich people engage in debauchery and don't even read books.

What the fuck happened?

very insightful

you really are an academic aren't you? yet you are against the academic establishment?

I just made that up - I've never read any significant philosophy. That's just my perspective as the average Veeky Forums moron. I wasn't posing it as a challenge - I was suggesting it as a legitimate possible perspective. I assume your response means it doesn't actually resonate with you in any way?

>you really are an academic aren't you? yet you are against the academic establishment?

I don't know if I would call myself an academic.

I simply hate the University way of life. It's a complete farce filled to the brim with insincerity. I have no hope for my life whatsoever.

>that attempting to find satisfaction in philosophy is like trying to run forward on a treadmill that exactly matches your speed. You can do 'work', but the nature of the game is such that there is no way to progress.

This could be said for many other things. Nonetheless, some people simply find philosophy as an end in itself, rather than claiming some utilitarian aspect to it, which I think is the correct way to view philosophy, and even art.