Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EsBKM5puZDM
pastebin.com/wATYu5GC
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pratchett is dead.

Good. His books were awful.

who?

i'm on chapter 4. seems pretty cool so far. the story itself hasn't really done anything interesting yet (aside from the whole linda lee thing which i enjoyed), but i really love hearing about the setting itself and the descriptions of the technology.

what is /sffg/'s thoughts?

pls use spoilers

TUC when?

Also where can I read Bakker's short story about the gladiator pits?

What is the Gothic 1 of fantasy books/series

None of these. When I pick up a new fantasy book the first thing I do is check the maps. If it has no maps that's a strike against it. I also look at any appendices or guides but I don't consider those as strongly as maps. After that I read the blurb on the back, and if that doesn't interest me I usually put the book back and look elsewhere. But if the blurb is passingly interesting then I try some of chapter 1/the prologue and see if I like it. It doesn't have to be super amazing, but as long as it doesn't bore me or make me roll my eyes I consider buying it.

>Comparing a children's book to the Lord of the Rings.

Harry Potter is KINO (the movies at least), but don't you compare them to Tolkien

Soon (tm)

And you can read both his short stories on his blog

Best fantasy book (or Trilogy) written after 2010?

Best Sci-fi book (or Trilogy) written after 2010?

>And you can read both his short stories on his blog
>both

He wrote a third short story called "The Knife of Many Hands" and it was only released in some magazine.

>wanting to be offended so you over look the entire joke

What does sffg think of the Sword of Truth

>>Comparing a children's book to the Lord of the Rings
Wasn't Lord of the Rings meant for teens, as a successor to The Hobbit which was for children? Not much of a stepping stone there dude

>symbol representing the cyclical nature of time wrapped around a wheel

....damn was Jordan a genius or some shit?

Lord of the Rings was indeed intended as a sequel to the Hobbit, but the plot grew so thick Tolkien just said fuck it and embiggened it into a full-fledged fantasy.

He's famous for saying "the tale grew with the telling" whenever he was asked asked this question.

Yep, me too. I rate books with shitty maps even worse than books with no map, all else remaining equal.

Devices Trilogy and Medusa Chronicles, respectively

The Magicians
Jean le Flambeur

Recommend some science-fiction with strong characters. I'm not talking physically strong, just well written.

I used to think Snow Crash was better, but having gone back and reread them both recently I feel that Neuromancer holds up a lot better.

>do you have a moment to hear the word of our lord and savior Ayn Rand?

been to long really, probably merits a re-read. I do remember enjoying Count Zero a bit more though.

Hyperion

Can someone who has read the wheel of time explain to me why Min and Elayne fall in love with Rand? I dropped it when this was revealed in Book 2

What if there's a map but half the book doesn't use it?

>Deed of Paksenarrion I'm looking at you

Because ta'veren

too soon

The first book is subpar generic fantasy but the series gets really bad after that, especially post-9/11

At some point, early on, Goodkind basically stopped being edited and from then on it's unreadable.

Also I suspect that even actual Objectivists would find the politics of the text laughable

Is there any fantasy or scifi that's exclusively about politics/court intrigue. Empire Trilogy and Baru are supposedly this but they both feature the protag using armies so it's not quite what I want.

but war is politics by other means, user.

That old quote verbatim is my gripe with what I'm reading

Fun intrigue for ages and then that actual quote and a spaceship battle neatly ends it all.

Honestly can't think of anything but now you say it I wouldn't mind reading some sci-fi or fantasy that had a focus on political campaigning and elections whatever.

would be pretty goddamn difficult to compete with last year's reality.

There's no war or mass killing in this book. Barely any action. Why am I enjoying it more than the WW1 trilogy?
Is it stockholm syndrome?

>Is it stockholm syndrome?
Yes. You are Harry Turtledove's trailer park wife.

what book is it?

The Goblin Emperor is a pretty chill book about the unwanted fourth son of a emperor becoming the emperor after everybody else ahead of him gets killed in a airship crash. So the book is mostly about him having to take power and then survive for a couple months until everybody calms down.

>linda lee
>tfw no qt drug-addled degenerate cyberpunk gf

What's the saddest you've ever been about being done with a SFF book or series? Not because the ending was sad (though it's fine if it was sad) but because you didn't want it to be over.

Ever? LotR and it's not remotely close.

The Lankhmar stuff. I don't want to be done with Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. I want to see more of their exciting adventures. It's canon that they had many more than what was written.

youtube.com/watch?v=EsBKM5puZDM

Noice. More memes are always welcomed.

Mostly because ta'veren, but also because Elayne is super sheltered and he's a handsome dude who falls over her fence and doesn't spend the whole time "your highness"ing her. When Min meets Rand for the first time one of her visions about him is that she will love him and kind of cons herself into it. It's like the "don't worry about the vase" moment in The Matrix.

Any good novels with an overpowered girl protagonist?

Is there as much wish-fulfillment and 14-year-old harem members in this as some people claim? Because if so I will read it.

Mistborn

Soon I Will Be Invincible.

To whom are you speaking?

All of them

>good
Oh
None of them

kek

Black magician trilogy

Mistborn

Black Jewels Trilogy
Black magician

Superb

When will fantasy writers realize that overpowered protagonists are the bane of good fantasy?

Name fantasy books with overpowered protagonists so I would fucking avoid reading them.

All of them

Rand Al'Thor at the end of The Wheel of Time series

Prince of nothing

we've been over this

akka is the protagonist, kellhus is the main character

The black semen demons are the protags, get it right.

Speaking of Bakker, I got a hold of "The Knife of Many Hands" about a gladiator who fights in Sranc pits.

Anyone want me to pastebin it?

Sure thanks!

pastebin.com/wATYu5GC

For a while there at the end I thought that was going to be like bierce's occurence at owl creek bridge what with the chains and all. Accurate Movie versions of bakker might wind up 1000 percent autistic.

Try Dagger and Coin?

>ywn purge the fantasy genre in cleansing fire so that it might be reborn from the ashes
>ywn salt the earth where rothfuss, sanderson, jemisin, and other meme authors once stood
WHY IS FANTASY SO SHIT LADS

Because people don't go out exploring and only buy the recommendations of the masses.

Write something good then instead of just complaining

>WHY ARE THESE SUCCESSFUL AUTHORS WRITING BOOKS
>STOP!!!!!!!

Jemisin seems fine, though I'm only halfway through The Fifth Season and it's her first that I've read.

Nah you're not allowed to like her here, she's both black and a woman.

She's better than Sanderson, anyway. Haven't read Rothfuss.

Is there a chart of fantasy books not written by cis gender white males?

Don't know about a chart, but >>>>>reddit has lists of fantasy by women and lists of fantasy written by black people.

Not sure about trans people and people of color who aren't black.

Do anyone know about that book where the main protagonist is in a high fantasy world filled with nothing but overpowered ones?

I heard the suffering is beautiful in that

I could literally jerk off into a word document and it would be better than rothfuss, trust me he's a waste of time.

Don't know about a chart, but off the top of my head:
N.K. Jemsin
Ursula LeGuin
Sabaa Tahir (though she borders on YA)
Robin Hobb
and the woman who wrote The Golem and the Jinni who's name I can't remember

>Nah you're not allowed to like her here
>I speak for thes entire general
>this bait again
You need to read more fantasy although Sanderson and jemisin is great because they put out on a regular basis. Everybody else takes their time.

Also look for GRI APPROVED novels which only jemisin is, in your list of three.

>ironically shitpost about indians on /pol/
>read song of kali
>unironically hate indians now

The book is shit by the way

Hey friend. What are your thoughts about authors using not!kali in their works? Glen cook and a few others are notorious with this. The penises and baby skulls always gives it away though.

time for you to post your shitty pol flag answering macro

>implying we sit down and have civil discussions when your kind looks to shitpost about women and non whites at every opportunity

If it's not crying about why are there so many non white bestseller, it's about why are there woman that earn money through war and fighting in your books.

Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.

C'mon friendo. All that deliberate /pol/ baiting above and your gonna whip this out over one shitpost? Let's talk about books. I'm relaxing with Myth-Taken Identity until I can muster up the resolve to finish The Difference Engine. How about yourself?

>Sorry for the long post
>Here's a potato

I hope they ban you again soon.

Never noticed it before so can't really say anything about it
Contain your autism Ranjeet
I gave my thoughts about the book I've read. You are one shitposting here

Thousand Names bit of a slow start. How does Winter not get rumbled? Maybe if she was keeping a low profile but passing as a drill sergeant? Dunno about that.

>/r9k/
>/pol/
How can you not see that he was being sarcastic?

His post was pretty tame. No need to sperg.

wrong thread retard

what are the star wars EU books worth reading? like, in order to understand what happened after return of the Jedi, which books/ series are worth reading?
disclaimer: I know they're not "canon" anymore but I want to read about Mara jade Skywalker and the vong and that abaloth lady or whatever get name is.

Just read Zahn and if you really want to save time the graphic novel adaptations are an option.

>“Your eyes …”
>“Shall be put out …”
>“Your manhood …”
>“Shall be cut from you …”
>“And I shall give you over …”
>“To my children …”
>“To their rutting fervour …”

>“You will be shattered …”
>“Beaten and degraded …”
>“Your wounds will bleed …”
>“The black of my children’s seed …”
>“Your honour will be cast …”
>“As ash …”
>“To the high winds …”
>“Where the Gods shall gather it!”
>“And you will weep …”
>“At the last …”

SRANCED
R
A
N
C
E
D

lol i don't hate indians but what little desire i had to visit india was gone after reading that book.
also looking at some pictures of Kolkata it seems to be as bad as described in the book

How is The Road science fiction