What does Veeky Forums think of the recent acquisition of Boston Dynamics by SoftBank?

What does Veeky Forums think of the recent acquisition of Boston Dynamics by SoftBank?

Sounds about as odd as Sony getting into the video game business. Let's hope it turns out as well.

Weren't they bought by Google years ago already?

Yes google stripped BD of pattents and researchers and sold it's carcass. They probably did this for PR reasons.
Maybe it still has some value to investors (ie access to research data etc)

I fucking hate it, they fucking bought out a company that at one time was primarily supported by the government. That in itself doesn't really bother me, but they could have at least done something useful with them. Of all the companies they sold it
to, did they have to sell it to a Japanese one? Surely they can see how fucked up that is. If they had to sell it, they should have sold it to amazon. Amazon and bezos absolutely could have done something great with a company like boston dynamics,
like what they did with kiva systems.

This also shows, how complete shit of a company alphabet/google is. How on earth do they have such a tremendous lack of vision/ambition to be unable to see how much potential this company had. Its a high risk but high reward kind of bet.
They had in their possession two of the most advanced robotics companies in the world, yet you're telling me that absolutely no one at alphabet/google could figure out what to do with them or at least how lucky they were to have those companies?

I'm not one to call for government action on topics like this, but christ google should be punished for this kind of fuckery. Maybe at least force them to sell it to an american company or something.

This is also probably true.

Ya know...not to be an communist or anything...but capitalism usually just fucking sucks way more than it doesn't.

Not a commie either, but shit like this should be stopped. japan was already a world leader in robotics, and they already had schaft.

At this point I don't really understand what google's future goals are.

To make even more money. The instant they went public with stocks that became their driving goal. That's why they got rid of BD after that public outrage over that last robot abuse vid. Profit margins are what drive them.

It's good that they sold it to masayoshi son. He has literally declared that he wants to accelerate the progress towards the singularity. He loves commercial robots, and in fact he already tried that with "pepper" (which was a fucking abortion of a robot though).

Amazon doesn't give two shits about household/commercial robots, they're just pushing on the kinds of robots that will allow them to automate 99,9% of the poor humans still working for them (and so drones and robots that can pick up boxes)

As for alphabet, they're already going to be in serious PR trouble as they develop better and better AI, and a personification of said AI in the form of the terrifying BD robots is the last thing that they want.

Throw fucking everything at the wall and hope something sticks, that's their strategy in a nutshell.

>I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about: the post

Plus trying to be the first to throw something at the wall so they can patent it and control that particular technology. So like a more quiet Apple or less community minded 80s IBM.

>outrage over that last robot abuse vid
fucking seriously?

Softbank is going to sell it to the Chinese. That's what they do.

When you don't know Google is a DARPA front

Boston Dynamics was owned by google.
I have no idea who SoftBank is but if google sold them out it means there is nothing more for them to get from that company.
Robotics are dead on arrival.

Its almost as if we have organic self replicating machines which are infinitely programmable and will often work for cheap.

One day robotics will be good but not for another century. By which time hopefully islam will have stopped scientific advancement anyway.

There's this mass hysteria going on about being empathetic. Not sure if sociopaths just drastically increased or something else, but whatever it is I don't like it.

yea but the problem with these organic replicators is that you can only lend them and their actual value if the law is obeyed is effectively infinite

Something something Roko's basilisk.

>is it tech? If so, gimmie
>so, what are your long term dev goals?
>......gimmie

Off subject!

Those humanoid robot's their feet design is flawed!

What's wrong with them?

Its the least bad system though

>robot experts at cutting edge of research who have spent millions on R&D are wrong
>a rando moron shitposting on Veeky Forums is right