Hey Veeky Forums, pleb here. What are some entry-level philosophy books? I have began reading pic related...

Hey Veeky Forums, pleb here. What are some entry-level philosophy books? I have began reading pic related, any other suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE
classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/epicench.html
youtube.com/watch?v=iiyGnaBnIqk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not that

In my humble opinion, I don't think there are really entry level philosophy books. The fact that it builds upon itself as time goes on matters, sort of, but not 100%. I'd say at least read some of the Philosophy 101 Greek stuff and then find a philosopher that makes sense to you and read them.

Then you can choose where to go from there. Very rarely will you pick up a philosophy book that doesn't reference some other philosopher (again because of the nature of philosophy) so you can either read what the philosopher you like was referring to and continue the chain, or you can find criticisms of the philosopher by other philosophers and read those instead.

Basically the best way to get into philosophy is to simply read philosophy. Sure, you can sit there and plan your trajectory and be like 'I'm going to read this, and then this and then this'. But all that is doing (again in my opinion) is just limiting yourself to the exposure of new ideas.

So tl;dr if you need a starting point for comfort, start with the Greeks. Otherwise just dive in to someone you sort of agree with (or even disagree with) and go from there.

anthony kenny's history of western philosophy is a good choice. By no means start with Nietzsche without any supplementay material. He's probably the most misunderstood philosopher ever.

zarathustra is immensely readable but not entry level lol

Just read a few Wikipedia articles to introduce yourself to Nietzsche, then read Beyond Good and Evil and whatever else you feel like by him from there. Worked fine for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE

Watch this and get into pragmatism.

The story of philosophy by Will Durant was a good starting book for me. Did a great job of showing the history and briefly explaining each philosophies and how they adapted new thoughts from their predecessors.

the republic
nietzsche
camus

Read Kauffman's introductions to Nietzsche, followed by the prelude to Birth of Tragedy, followed by The Case of Wagner, and then the rest in the order written.

classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/epicench.html

Quick read stoicism

Camus

START

WUZ

Definitely not Nietzsche. Suggestions:

Plato's Republic OR the Apology
Book XI of Augustine's Meditations
Meditations by Descartes (maybe)
Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics
The Social Contract by Rousseau

It'd be helpful to familarize yourself with Plato and Aristotle at the very least before tackling Nietzsche.

Though P and A are where everyone should start.

Correction: Augustine's Confessions.

>Will Durant
I strongly recommend El gran asombro: La curiosidad como estímulo en la historia de la filosofía by Jeanne Hersch. Idk if theres any enclish edition (I read it in spanish)

>mexican intellectuals

>reading in only one (1) language

Serious answer here:

Pieper - The Philosophical Act

Start with this. It gets your brain primed for this type of thinking, and starts you off digging into real philosophical questions.

Adler - How to Read A Book

Brilliant for learning how to distill and outline a philosophical text into something you can actually remember and use.

Herman - The Cave and the Light

Easy to read, general explanation of Plato's and Aristotle's hold on western civilization. It gives you a surprisingly thorough history of philosophy, which you can then use to:

Pick what you want.

I started with existentialism. Research the movement, pick the cornerstone work, and the read the reactionary works. It's slow going, but don't move on until you understand the argument.

==START==

WITH

Start with the greeks, specifically the pre-Socratics

youtube.com/watch?v=iiyGnaBnIqk

what about Eastern philosophy

Can someone explain this quote to me

>Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. Society is something that precedes the individual. Anyone who either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god.

If you aren't a normie, either your useless in society or above it.

>Nietzsche
Schopenhauer wrote some accessible stuff [can't remember the title right now] that were so popular with the general public that he became famous. He was pretty well the last semi-sane academic philosopher. Anything that you read in Nietzsche that isn't batshit crazy, he stole from Schopenhauer. Diseased minds think alike and the tradition has pretty well continued until this day.

>tfw you're a beast

>ww.youtube.com/watch?v=iiyGnaBnIqk
Absolute, complete and preposterous spin. Thales invented "Unity through Diversity"? Everything can be reduced to Politically Correct moralizing.

Join the herd and follow the leader. What Academics on the Royal or public payroll have been telling us ever since.

Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations

Plato's work

Nietszche's thus spoke and beyond good and evil

Hegel's history of philosophy

Waste of time unless you're willing to learn an Oriental language.

Sophie's World, it's for young adults but a nice primer if you're just getting into it

I take it you're fluent in ancient Greek then

WHAT A FUCKING RETARDED RESPONSE

DEEZ

metaphysics : Descartes and Hume then lightman and Kant

anything else is worthless trash apart Spinoza ethics

Descartes is by far the easiest philosopher to understand, likely because he was actually an intellectual (a great mathematician and scientist). I would say start with him and Plato. Spinoza is decent, as well.

People saying Aristotle is entry level have probably only read his ethics. Do not bother with him outside of his Ethics, Metaphysics, and Poetics.. He is not worth the effort.

heraclitus if you want to start towards zarathustra

In my shit opinion you should start with self-help, which is basically processed philosophy that will introduce you to popular schools of thought and are applicable to your own life, which is nice. Right now I'm reading a subtle art of not giving a fuck which is an applicable light version of buddhism and imho it's great for what it is.

Beyond that I would recommend going chronologically because as sad philosophy is pretty inbred sometimes. Alternatively i would say follow your curiosity and binge on something piques your interest, this way you won't have to force yourself to read and reread only to make your ego think it's smart. Overall just have fun, it's more about seeing life in the new light over and over again which is enjoyable than being right about life and "knowing" life which will get frustrating fast.

This one's a little biased, but a pretty good start

basically this

Society is there for it's own survival, not for you to be happy. In a situation where a person decides not to be governed by society's rules he either drops most of his needs and consumptions barely surviving on scraps (but still possibly happy) or is resourceful enough on his own that he won't collapse and even thrive under whatever challenges life will throw at him which will make him free to live by his own morals which i guess makes him god.

it means aristotle was a normie. no real surprises there

Why?

sophie's world

muh jung

aesop fables

philosophy is innate. unless you're speaking of rhetoric, most subjects are what you contemplate when you are alone

questions belonging to our core existence

Yep. Good accompanying book, provided you research Russell and have a basic understanding of how he viewed things.

>tfw my first philosopher was Neet-che

And i started with zaratustra as well. Anyway, The Republic by Plato is a nice introduction. Or you could try with Marcus Aurelius' Meditations; im currently on book ten and i haven't read something as clear and simple as this

>Society is something that precedes the individual.

Aristotle was such a hack.

Etymologically speaking, you can have an individual without society. You cannot have a society without individuals, however. Ergo...

Definitely not that book OP. It's arguably not even philosophy, it's a religious text.

If you want to get into serious philosophy without wasting time on pre-socratics etc., I'd recommend some basic Plato. 'The Last Days of Socrates' published by penguin is a good place to start, but otherwise just read the Phaedo. It's a good intro to fundamental metaphysical problems and very easy to read and follow. Descartes' Meditations are also a good starting point if you want to skip straight to modern philosophy, as well as Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. If you decide to start with Plato, Plato -> Descartes -> Hume is a good order to follow. Some existential stuff like Camus and Sartre (in particular his essay 'Existentialism is a Humanism') are very interesting and entry-level, but existentialism is kind of its own thing so you wouldn't be getting much of a basis for metaphysics, ethics etc.
Roger Scruton's Short History of Modern Philosophy is also a good starting point.

>Zarathustra
>Entry-level

These increasingly desperate and pathetic pop philosophers, like pop musicians, who have no musical training and talent whatsoever, no rigor, no real and sustained discipline and drive in what they do, so do these "casual philosophers" and pop philosophers seem to me to be related to the domain of actual thought. "Self-taught hobbyism" is the most benign label that I could apply to them, and they all take such great pride in being self-taught! (whereas, among all the genuinely educated, having no teachers in such an advanced culture as ours counts, not as an honor, but as an intellectual death sentence). And like pop musicians, who borrow concepts, instruments, styles and techniques from real music, but never getting any far with them, never producing anything lasting, forever mired in and condemned to an eternal primitivism, so do these pop philosophers fare in the realm of thought. These pop philosophers show not the slightest acknowledgement in their writings that a philosophical tradition even exists, and that the intractable problems with which they are so incompetently grappling have been discussed ad nauseam for millennia by all the geniuses. All these efforts, at the end of the day, are obviously inherently abortive, since contrary to what all these people seem to think, you can't defeat a beast by RUNNING AWAY FROM IT. There's only one solution: to GRAPPLE with the beast, which is to say, WITH THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY, which of course presupposes that you have at least some inkling of it! In short: Don't be a pseud. Don't abortive. Be a man. Be a genius. — Or at least try to be one, the first step of which attempt would be... to see how you measure up against past geniuses, by making at least some kind of an effort to read them.

>Anything that you read in Nietzsche that isn't batshit crazy
people on Veeky Forums are so fucking uneducated holy hell

This chart I found on x.

Medetations is quite readable and simple. Mght want to read some Epictetus if you liked it.

If not, go full skeptic and read Descartes.

book 1 blew me away

bullshit chart