James Joyce Critique

Why is this man invincible? I cant find anyone who actually critisizes his work, what are some faults?

he has no faults. any that could be perceived are attributed to his genius anyway. he makes a typo? well, turns out here in this 1732 copy of dogshit memes, it has this spelling as well, so it must be a reference to this work. He really took it to such a level that his critics end up being twisted into traps like that, almost ashamed of coming out with anything against him, for fear there was some piece they were missing.

>literal cuckold
>Fart fetishist
>Probably a pedophile
>Writing is too dense and incoherent to understand
>Rambles on like an autist
>People find random connections and references in his work when there is actually nothing of note
>Reading his books will leave you with less IQ and erectile dysfunction

Fuckin try it, I dare you. Literally the only dissenters are edgy teens or jealous writers.

FUCK "Penelope"

FUCK IT

I made it through most of Ulysses over the course of a few months, but I have literally spent weeks slogging through "Penelope" because it's so fucking infuriating to read

FUCK PENELOPE

Actual retard detected. this is one of the easiest chapters in the book

A bit harsh, but I can agree with the sentment.

>Making it through Oxen of Apollo
>Stumbling at Penelope

>I cant find anyone who actually critisizes his work
Who's qualified? He was light years ahead of the critics, or at least successfully gave that impression.

I'm battling through the Wake right now. The biggest criticism I have is that so much of it seems like baby language, which can be irritating. Still, if you're going to read Joyce you have to expect tests of endurance, so I'm sticking with it.

>criticising Joyce on moral grounds
Congrats, you've reached a level of understanding that was prominent in 1922.

Give it another century, and you might catch up with the rest of humanity.

read exiles.

Is this guy a pirate?

where to start with joyce, laddies

Why a pedophile?

His discography is probably the single most obvious when it comes to that question.

The mighty Paulo Coelho said his Ulysses can be condensed into a tweet.

Chronological order. Dubliners, Portrait, Ulysses, Finnegans Wake. It's like an assault course for the aspiring literatus.

Start with the greeks.

Joyce is good but Proust is the real GOAT

>discography
>disc

what was the tweet did he do it?

the man is not that clever no

>I cant find anyone who actually critisizes his work

He's freemason and pro britain, that's why.

because its too easy to posture in response to any legitimate criticism of accessibility and subtlety

This is all bullshit and almost guaranteed to be the ramblings of someone with no exposure to Joycean criticism and probably little more exposure to Joyce's work itself

fuckin lmao! thanks user!

Woolf hated Ulysses because it was gimmicky, Nabokov hated everything but Ulysses, Borges thought he was long winded (like most everyone). So there's that.

wooof hated joyce becos jealous
famous authors are people too

I really should try to progress past Dublners it was really good

Didn't Borges, at one point, also critique the notion that Bloom is such a great character?

I recall someone on Veeky Forums saying that Borges took a dig at Joyce on those grounds. Something about how we learn a lot of facts and truths about Bloom, but we never really know him.

are you describing james joyce or Veeky Forums?

I remember the criticism but ı'm not sure if it was Borges' or not. We ought to take what he says with a grain of salt though, he was taking the piss half the time.

Does that invalidate the criticism?

>discography
thanks

>that Bloom is such a great character?
Hes not supposed to be a great character, the narrator is the great character

"Leopold is an originally Germanic name composed of two stems, common to Germanic names. The first part is related to the Latin word "Leo", meaning "lion" (although some say the first part is related to Old High German "liut" meaning "people"). The Germanic peoples had no word for "lion" as they weren't aware of the existence of lions until they established contacts with the Romans. The second part is of Germanic origin and means "brave", compare "bold". The name hence originally meant something close to "as brave as a lion"."

BraveLion Bloom

I think its semi sarcastic, because bloom is a rather semi average timid guy, relating him to Ulyssess and a brave lion, but a lot of the novel is the exploration and expression of the human mind, so maybe its suggesting the modern heroic adventure, in joyces time (not necssarily only, or maybe he was just expressing this) the mind was the "new" worldly frontier. The hero who does his fighting with pen.

(or as the early sentence suggest: BravePeople Bloom)

>tfw 2 intelligent to read past page 30

Ye shool trivy ot til raid ees kuy virks all owd

Ev ye vrit funny tickly yule sow endmist eerie austerity

>critisizes
that's criticizes and no you can't get away with it

all good in the hood
implying the french could ever come up with anything ever

>implying the french could ever come up with anything ever

say that to mon face Bagguet!

Oxen was fucking rough.
Penelope is easy, especially if you go slow and aren't trying to speed read. It's a typical narrative sans punctuation.

Paulo Coehlo can go fuck himself. He said Ulysses ruined literature. His logic is retarded, Ulysses is simply light years ahead of most literature especially Coehlo's Costco clearance table bullshit. It's like saying Michael Jordan ruined basketball because he was so good in his time and set such a high standard, but more extreme in Joyce's case

Not even fucking close

Could you kick his ass, Veeky Forums?

I think his stream of consciousness technique doesn't incorporate enough abstraction. He's far too interested in rendering sensory experience and, even with Stephen, he forgets that the vast majority of our experience is (at least it seems this way to me) more introspective, dealing in fantasy or in simulation of future events or in contemplation of past events or abstract ideas. Very little of this walking on the beach "boots crush crackling wrack and shells" rubbish in an actual person's head and if his goal was to depict that, then this is a decently sized fault in his technique to my mind.

But that's just my two cents and I think otherwise that the man's a Shakespeare-tier genius and a titan of literature, so there's very very little to criticize.

finnegans wake was literally a troll

>I'm not smart enough to understand it therefore it must be a troll book

>Implying anyone is smart enough to understand it
>Implying Finnegans Wake isn't to irish culture what Ready Player One is to 80's culture
>Implying deliberate obscurity is a mark of genius

>Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk. Appearing on the first page, it allegedly represents the symbolic thunderclap associated with the fall of Adam and Eve. As it appears nowhere else except in reference to this passage, it is generally not accepted as a real word, but is rather understood by scholars to signify the act of the author inhaling his own flatulence with rambunctious glee

burning in Hell for rejecting Catholicism

you are a gigantic fucking pussy and the fact that you would disrespect the second best book of all time is blasphemous. I hope a fire ant colony crawls up your dickhole

His work is without meaning.

>he isn't a normie
>he isn't a normie
>he isn't a normie
>I'm too stupid
>I'm too stupid
>I don't like his fans

Lay out your exegesis of Finnegans Wake, I fucking dare you.

a couple weeks ago Veeky Forums hated him and he was shit. Just wait a couple weeks

you didnt read the books

>>literal cuckold
how? I think you are confused, he had a great deal of anxiety at the possibility of a wifes ability to cheat