Thoughts on Ivy League Colleges?

How does Veeky Forums feel about Ivy League Colleges?

Is it really just for spoiled rich brats?

How's studying in one of those as a complete introvert (if they even allow introverts into those places)?

I have the impression you're only allowed in if you're part of some kind of secret Illuminati style club, and that the people there are the epitome of being chads.

Other urls found in this thread:

qz.com/498534/these-25-schools-are-responsible-for-the-greatest-advances-in-science/
youtube.com/watch?v=RzrcS4jSPaA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't worry about it, you won't get in.

That's far from being the point silly.

>is it really just for spoiled rich brats

no, their financial aid is fantastic.

>how's studying in one of those as a complete introvert

probably impossible, given that you need to have good extracurriculars.

>i have the impression you're only allowed in if you're part of some kind of secret Illuminati style club

Sorta. Whether or not your parents went is a factor in most Ivy League admissions; that's basically because they don't have the balls to make it literally random to choose from the thousands of 4.0, top the people there are the epitome of being chads

A good chunk of them are really pretty fucking autistic

Basically they don't let you in unless you are a 6'3 white football playing astronaut from space and black transqueer handicapped muslim woman whos father is the president of skull and bones society. and really does it even matter? your local community college offers a better education and you wont be crippled for debt forever. seems like a plot by ((((((((((((((((them)))))))))))))) to me. check my reddit for more info

Having a good curriculum has nothing to do with being extra or introverted. A genuine introvert in the top 0.1% of students can easily learn several languages, be chess champion for his school several times over, have good programming experience, know how to play piano and have attended MUN Model Simulations (believe me it seems counter intuitive but introverts are really really good at those).
>A good chunk of them are really pretty fucking autistic
Autistic how? Autistic as in hurr durr retarded or autistic as in really shut in?

Cornellian here
>inb4 fake ivy
Hey we just scored above Penn, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, and Columbia in the latest rankings go fuck yourself

>Is it really just for spoiled rich brats?
No it's for some rich brats, a shit ton of asians, and a bunch of affirmative action

>How's studying in one of those as a complete introvert (if they even allow introverts into those places)?
I study in my room, and it works.

>I have the impression you're only allowed in if you're part of some kind of secret Illuminati style club, and that the people there are the epitome of being chads.
There are clubs within the schools that describe what you're talking about, but they're much less influential and important than they used to be. Now they're kind of memes.

>How does Veeky Forums feel about Ivy League Colleges?

Best colleges in the US, makes up the HYP of HYPSM. I think that kids should not obsess over getting into them because they are ivies, they are good but the successful kids out of them are primarily a function of the type of kids they aim to accept rather than the institutions themselves. Kids who strive for Ivies tend to do just as well regardless of where they go.

My personal favorite is Cornell

No although legacy applicants have a radically easier time getting in.

>How's studying in one of those as a complete introvert (if they even allow introverts into those places)?

You are fine at any of them except for Dartmouth. They let introverts in all the time. Its not as if its some extroverted heaven.

>I have the impression you're only allowed in if you're part of some kind of secret Illuminati style club, and that the people there are the epitome of being chads.

No they aren't all chad, except possibly Dartmouth where there is intense social pressure to be chad.

not him but autistic as in basically a redditor or 4channer

>My personal favorite is Cornell
It's a bretty cool place.

What difference does it make if a person trains for a pretigous college. Consider the following...

If there was a runner training to get a 4 mintune mile, would anyone think it would actually make a difference if he choose a high-school track field over a Olympic stage? The person wanting to get a 4 minute mile, his choose of track field doesn't matter. Anyone who thinks just because they trained at a Olympic track shield is better than somebody who choose a high-school track is outright snobbery.

Currently at the University of Delaware, will it be as impressive to employers if I go to grad school at Harvard?

Can I get kicked out for being weird? I mean if I decide to basically don't do any social activity, and stay as hell away from people as possible. I don't like standing out, but at the same time it feels like interviewers expect anyone who studies at Ivy to be the next Steve Jobs, when I really would be just comfortable and happy with a 50k annual income and a low effort job and a lonesome life with my hobbies. And thanks for your answers.

they are pretty shit for STEM.

For STEM fields they are (at least overseas) more prestigious and well seen by employers than colleges that are actually good at STEM like CMU.

Totally depends on whether you're using introvert in the sense of "gets tired out by interacting with people" or whether you're using it in the sense of "fucking shut-in," which is how most people who aren't fucking annoying do.

Autistic as in super awkward, annoying, etc.

Of course not, what?

That being said, interviewers during the admissions process at Ivy League schools will...expect you to interview well.

not them but think about what you'd actually like to do. If you're happy working comfortable, chill job then why should you have to study at an Ivy League? Seems like you're putting unnecessary pressure on yourself.

>How does Veeky Forums feel about Ivy League Colleges?
I go to one (cornell). It's nice.

No. Plenty of poorfags here but I'm not one of them.

Fine. As many introverts here as any other place I imagine.

Not true at all.

Cornell is basically the only good one for STEM. (Or rather engineering, don't know how it is for the rest of stem).

Which college/year are you? I'm a rising sophomore in engineering.

No. You can literally just be a name in a class and not exist outside of that and you'll be fine.

I'm a rising junior in CALS

You living on west next year? I just finished a year in Keeton.

By introvert I meant what you meant as in autistic, plus "fucking shut-in".
I think I could fake a smile for a few hours of interview but not every day.
See, we New Yorkers are sedentary creatures who expect everything we need to be available within city limits. Including college. I'd really really like to live (and thus work) in Japan one day, but, from what I've read, other colleges in NYC don't have any recognition abroad, it would be that much harder to get into Japan without an all powerful Columbia diploma. My plan is that with a diploma I'd get called directly to work there. Either by transference of a Japanese company with operations in NYC or a NYC company with operations in Japan. As you said it yourself the problem is pressure, I'd rather study in a less pressure inducing college even if it's a few positions down the rankings (but not as low as other NYC universities), but that implies leaving the Big Apple. I'm afraid I'll have to share my room with some dude who casually has sex and smokes weed everyday in front of his room mate, afraid they somehow might kick me for under-performing, afraid people will constantly invite me to parties and call me racist for not taking part into their gay pride parade or whatever. I also like sports for the most part but apparently you have to socialize in order to practice sports in universities. I really just can't stand any pressure, like working without deadlines (which makes me get the job done much faster than I'd get without the actual deadline since there's no pressure), fucking hate having to do any socializing and so on. Too late to go back now I guess unless I decide to transfer which is unlikely.

seconded

had a great time up on that hill studying physics :)

sure do miss it from time to time

>You living on west next year? I just finished a year in Keeton.
I'll be in Alice Cook house next year. I've seen plenty of Cornell students on Veeky Forums yet it's so hard to imagine that anyone there uses it. Odd!

you guys are giving me serious nostalgia feels

lived on west in mcfadden my sophomore year, then into a house on stewart ave for jr and sr year

worked my ass off studying physics, still wish i had taken more advantage and pushed myself a bit harder. oh well.

enjoy it while you can anons :)

I'm going to Harvard in the fall, so I don't have a full perspective yet. I visisted campus during the admitted student weekend, and it's very diverse. There's a lot of rich people , but it's very diverse , lots of stereotypical college liberal types, lots of minorities.
Don't listen to this fake Ivy
Also:
>Cornell above Yale
>Cornell above Columbia
Your acceptance rate is like 15% haha

7 colleges at cornel

hotel administration - pathetic
human ecology - laughable
industrial and labor relations - joke
agriculture and life sciences - basically a "good" state school
architecture - very good
arts and sciences - very good (as long as you stick to the sciences)
engineering - probably only inferior to mit and caltech

the hotel school, ilr, and human ecology schools basically only exist to ensure a 50/50 male female ratio. the prestigious programs are almost exclusively male. or asian.

arts and sciences/engineering/architecture admission rates are very low. hotel/ag school very high.

>goes to a college that hands out As for breathing
>calls others fake ivys
Harvardfags are funny.

No they can't kick you out for absolutely no reason just because you are weird, you spineless autist.

Ag has same admit rate as arts and sciences. Everything except Hotel and Human Ec is below 15%, Hotel is hard to get into, its just extremely self selecting because barely anyone actually wants to do Hotel shit, Human Ec is easier to get into though. ILR and Hotelies both make a lot of money post-grad so i wouldn't call them pathetic and a joke.

There is virtually no difference in the quality of education between schools, as they all take pretty much the same classes. So most of your post is total horseshit, the only valid thing is that Human Ec is easier to get into.

SEAL POWER RANKINGS

>1. Brown
>2. Penn
>3. Columbia
POWER GAP
>4. Harvard
>5. Cornell
>6. Yale
POWER GAP
>tony the tiger tier. Princeton
MASSIVE POWER GAP
>8. Literal non-Ivies
>9. The flag of the town of Provo
MASSIVE POWER GAP
>4-year old art class tier. Dartmouth

nah ur prolly good i go to Berkeley and i know plenty of ppl that you sound like-- not ivy but still the elite sensibility of one
ive heard columbia dorms aren't that bad too just dont fuck up your housing app, go for lower density res halls/apartments as those won't have as much social interaction just bc of how they run

good luck and remember that if you do get stuck with a shitty roommate you can always bring their behavior up w/ ur RA or request a new roommate if that doesn't work/is too confrontational

When you said "we New Yorkers" I thought you meant the actual New York State inhabitants rather than you cancers. Thank God you meant NYCers, New York isn't full of weebs.

That metaphor doesn't really apply. High-end schools tend to be more rigorous and breed more success. That's not to say it's needed for success, but the education and connections acquired at high-end schools undoubtedly put students ahead.

What do you think of UD?

CalTech shits on all of them.

No, "high-end" schools tend to have better students.

And the reason Caltech shits on all of them is because they actually select students purely on ability, not "holistic" bullshit and not affirmative action.

/HYMSM/ introvert here, AMA.

Not even close: qz.com/498534/these-25-schools-are-responsible-for-the-greatest-advances-in-science/

Maybe if you're taking Hebrew Bible, but every class has bullshit classes. I have yet to see a class that was an Easy A. Then again, I've only taken STEM classes and philosophy classes where you're expected to write like 10 page papers all the time.

The seal is the logos in OP's picture you dumbass

I'm in my late 20s and never got a degree because so many programming jobs don't strictly require it. But I've started to become really interested in breaking into doing stuff like algo and quant type trading. I was never interested in this before because I fell for the "you cant beat the market just hold index" meme. But now I think this is a really interesting intersection of the applications of CS, stats, and the other buzzwords like ML, DM, etc. But unfortunately it looks like I'll never ever be able to break in because these type of job postings are stricter than regular programming job postings and list not only is a degree required but a degree from a top 10 university so it looks like a degree from a state school would be worthless to pursue this. So I was wondering if I could find a way into one of these top universities? I know a lot of the ivies have nontraditional adult schools, but they seem to have extremely poor public perception/reputation.
>if it helps I'm part native american indian, poor family, would be first to get degree. I only mention this because it seems that adcoms actually care about and like this stuff.

They don't by any metric except your butthurt, and meme lists like that claim CUNY is better than Stanford

>tfw being a 3rd world guy
>cant get into ivy league

feels bad man

Can confirm secondhandedly.
Biochem professor graduated from Yale. Or at least they make for shit teachers. Literally just follows the book and all of her exams were taken from Quizlet

>>tfw being a 3rd world guy
>>cant get into ivy league
>feels bad man
Same

in science:

Best: Harvard, Princeton
Next tier: Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Penn
Worst: Brown, Dartmouth

Yale has been going to the toilet relative to Harvard and Princeton

>meme list
Stop using words you do not understand. I doubt you even knew about that list before I linked it to you.

If anything, the Ivy league is a meme. Talk about getting hoisted by your own petard.

At Cornell people are very normal. Some introverts, some extroverts, just like everywhere else.

>I'm in my late 20s and never got a degree because so many programming jobs don't strictly require it
How does one get a decent job in the IT industry without any degree?
>inb4 muh networking

By proving you know what you're doing? Write some software on your own, and you'll get hired. IT is still one of the few domains where credentialism doesn't run rampant, although sclerosis is setting in and it's slowly getting there.

Doesn't Cornell have a bunch of suicide nets on the bridges? Sounds like a nice place.

Tell me more senpai. Let's suppose I have a few software of my own, although they're not anywhere popular. Maybe I have a patented algorithm of my own. Do I just write those "achievements" on my CV and start sending it to companies?

It does. I've never run into something suicide inducing yet. I can only imagine that the kids that do just couldn't keep up with the workload or have personal problems.

It's a meme that pays me money to get educated and gives unlimited connections. Enjoy your brainlet-tier university.

Keep memeing you affirmative action brainlet.

>reddit spacing
You have to go back.

I didn't know there was affirmative action for whites at HYPSM.

I'll go back to my free Ivy League education... wait did I say free? Sorry, they're paying me to get educated. Stipend during undergraduate years. Honestly, I don't even blame you plebs for being jealous.

I go to Princeton, can answer

Pretty much yes, but they are making genuine efforts to recruit students from other background. Of course, usually those are the only people who have access to the educational opportunities required to go to one of these schools. They have great financial aid for these students

It's trash. I had the extracurricular but I am very shy and introverted. I'm black (before you tell me I got in because of affirmative action, I didn't because I was far above average even for the school in terms of stats) but I come from a middle class background and it's still been hard for me to deal with the cultural differences and also the really affluent culture. Being more shy hasn't helped at all. I've have had really severe depression after going for just one year that seriously affected my studies and even caused me to get some of the lowest grades I've gotten in my life in the spring semester.

The kids love to drink and party but they are protected by the school for doing it. They can act like total degenerates because they're a bunch of rich kids and don't have to face the consequences the rest of us have to face.

There are TONS of chads, especially the white athletes that go to the school. Many were recruited from high school and had to just get a 1700/2400 and pass all their classes to get in. A lot come from rich backgrounds, will do nothing but party and date rape girls, and then graduate with a degree in economics and go work in consulting or investment banking.

With that being said you might still want to consider going if you have an opportunity

No, it's for idiots. Admission standards at Harvard for example have dropped amazingly low in the last few years. I recommend you do you undergrad outside the US.

>jealous of shitty american education
Try pity, but the reality is that it's not even that.

You sound butthurt as fuck. As if some defining experience(es?) during your first year really affected you. Tell me the story.

How so? Seems like they're only getting more selective. Are you sure you aren't jealous of a classmate who got in?

>tries to discredit HYPSM
>goes to brainlet state school

ahahahaha

Now I know for a fact that you're just fishing for (you)s.

I think I struck a nerve there. :'(

>Maybe I have a patented algorithm of my own
No you don't. That will never happen.

>Do I just write those "achievements" on my CV and start sending it to companies?
Yes, that's how I got a job. It's fucking easy getting jobs in IT, even easier if you are good.

I'm new here. How do I upboat your hilarious comment? XD

This post is cancer in so many ways.

They're the best of the best. If you don't get into one, and you have dreams of finding a good job/doing meaningful research, just give up, lmao. It's better to do a trade than to go to a reject school, even "good" ones like Berkeley

Who /harvardEE/ here

why are harvardfags always autistic
even MIT isn't that bad, and they're smarter

>They can act like total degenerates because they're a bunch of rich kids and don't have to face the consequences the rest of us have to face.

I go to a mediocre state school and still act like a total degenerate, as do most of my friends here.

From my experiences, HYP students were brainlets

Went to Berkeley and competed with them in Aerospace. Harvard and Yale students are literally braindead, for whatever reason. Cornell students were actually really cool. MIT engies are literal gods.

What do you think of UIUC kids, If you've ever met any? Are they complete brainlets?

youtube.com/watch?v=RzrcS4jSPaA
Sums it up pretty nicely.

haven't met any, but I hear they're reasonably talented when it comes to EE

t-thanks senpai

>tfw rejected from EECS

Sorta off the main topic, but what are the Ivy League equivalents in Canada?
I'm doing my bachelor at a Canadian Uni literally anyone can get into and want to get my grad degreee at a good Canuck university. I don't have the money to even step into an American school. But if you went to an Ivy league school here, you're automatically listed as being amazing.

UofT
McGill
UBC maybe

Got rejected for transfer there as well. Most of the cs applicants did.
Supposedly they don't have enough professors to even teach 3rd/4th year cs classes. I hear most of the rejects just opted for Iowa state in Ames, but actually leaving town right now isn't something I'm able to do.

Their name in the diploma will impress some employers. Their education is good, but there are a lot of public schools that are just as good. Other easier to get into stem schools are just as prestigious.

If you are white Christian heterosexual cis male and not a legacy, and don't have millions to buy your way in, don't bother.

If you do attend. Then the real advantage is networking. Which means you have to socialize with the legacies and children of the right non legacy elites. Intern at companies run by alumni. Kiss ass to the right visiting parents.

Why would anyone bother with that silly shit?
Just get a code monkey job and be happy with your job security through dead man switches. Anyone who can stomach poofty social games deserves to go out like a French aristocrat.

>Iowa state

Wtf? Why Iowa State? If they're willing to go that far then might as well go to UIUC.

I'm mostly talking about cc students who try to transfer into the uiuc's college of engineering and the computer science program it has there. If you're cs, you have to either make it into that program or go for a cs+(insert humanities major) in the liberal arts college.
They were going to Iowa State because it also has a really nice computer science program.

Poofty social games is the difference between being a network admin, and vice president of information technology.

>They were going to Iowa State because it also has a really nice computer science program.

Seems like a brainlet university to me though. But then again UIUC CS is probably brainlet tier just the same.

applying for transfer to Cornell next semester as a 5th generation legacy. Pretty much my whole family has gone to either Cornell or Princeton but they say it doesn't really matter. I'm pretty sure they're lying because i go to a state school but you never know. It's definitely not chad/stacey central as both of my parents are fairly nerdy and still got in/ enjoyed themselves. My mom grew up really poor but still got into Cornell.

The secret clubs and everyone being a rich chad is a dumb meme, if you've demonstrated you're an excellent student or are black you get in, its not a rich family club like it was 100 years ago. I hope its still unfair enough for me to get in though, I feel like a brainlet for studying at a state school and i think an ivy league degree is pretty much life on easymode.

Ivy League always just seemed like another brand that's being sold to us. The fact that they practice grade inflation and you can get into one with a large enough donation seems that they're just putting up a smokescreen to seem more elite than they actually are. There are of course professors and students there that are incredibly intelligent, but it just seems like a lot of hub bub and bullshit for nothing.

Holy shit, vice president of info. tech in a company that probably dies less than a decade after me due to retard budgeting?
Do I get a stuffy portrait of my bald, fat ass in a suit somewhere?

>stop using words you don't understand
its a meme list because the metrics it uses to rank those schools are worse than most rankings, which is an achievement in itself as popular rankings such as USNews literally uses prestige to calculate almost a quarter of its score. Using only the metric who went to what school is absolutely horrible because it is almost assured that no matter which school they went to they likely would have achieved exactly the same thing due to their own genius.

Samefagging doesn't make your point stronger

Harvard and Yale's engineering schools are utter shit what did you honestly expect

Legacy doesn't automatically get you in, it just makes you a first among equals if your stats are there. It only really pushes decisions if your parent did something for the school or dropped a fat stack of cash/can drop a fat stack of cash

They are necessary for doing jobs such as investment banking and they are also necessary if you are doing a PhD and want to be able to become a professor. IBs largely only recruit from Ivies and equivalent in prestige (its literally just prestige) and half of all professors are made up of Ivies+equivalent regardless of field.

CS is probably on the easier end of the STEM spectrum. Dunno if I'd slide it in under mechanical or not.
It's also your most likely bet for not being stuck in academia for your whole life.

CE and low-level stuff makes even intelligent people want to fucking take some kdc aspirin.

>Investment banking

So you have to go to an Ivy League school to pull imaginary numbers out of your ass for a living?

Its not imaginary numbers but its moving around money that doesn't exist YET in order to allow companies to do shit with said non-existent money, that will exist afterwards

Do you want to drive a Honda and have middle management a boss, or a Tesla and answer only to the board?

lol are you in CE fampai?

I want to go home after work, do my own projects and nerd things, spend time with the kids, fuck my wife, etc.
I'll drive a fucking hooptie with my boxers hanging from the antenna if necessary. Who's going to say anything?

You'll bitch and moan when you have to pay for your kid's college unless its NY