How exactly is this stuff "totally safe" again? They have been proven to leach mercury vapor...

How exactly is this stuff "totally safe" again? They have been proven to leach mercury vapor. The old theory that the mercury is "bound up" due to the nature of the amalgum is not accepted even by the ADA any more.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_(dentistry)#History_of_use
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>he didn't brush his teeth like a good boy

The dose maketh the poison.

ADA says its safe so its safe. Why would they lie?

They've been bought off by Big Dental Cavity.

Given basically every build in the developed world already has little vials of mercury vapour installed in them and nobody bats an eyelid at this, I doubt a bit more leeching out of your fillings is much worse.

As long as they dont break, obviously no mercury comes out. How again does having mercury in a hermetically sealed glass bulb equal to having it in your mouth?

Also
>nobody bats an eyelid
I do. Because idiots just throw them in the trash or handle them carelessly and break them. LED lights should be used instead. Not only do they contain no mercury, they also last longer, are smaller and use less power.

It isn't, that's why they don't use it anymore in the first world.

ADA literally was founded because dentists wanted to use dental amalgams
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_(dentistry)#History_of_use

Good goy don't question the government

There should be a legislation that makes mercury fillings explicitly illegal with huge fines for the dentist, because some people are just retarded.

However removing a mercury filling can be massively dangerous.
As much as I'd hate having a chink of mercury in my mouth, research has shown that the amount of leaching is generally very low, below the dose that does real harm.

But if you get an unqualified or inexperienced or inadequately equipped doctor, you might eat or inhale pretty much the entire thing and even get acute poisoning. Also most dentist's offices can't handle the mercury vapors created (often the suction thingy vents in the next room). So take care with that crap and be safe.

They are illegal in some European countries like France I believe.

in germany someone got the wise idea to put
lightbulb recycling bins in the entrance of grocery stores
>take a look in one filled to the brim with broken energy saving bulbs

Mercury in small amounts is good for you.

Name literally one thing mercury does in your body.

I thought even the most assbackwards countries had replaced amalgam fillings with ceramic fillings, but I guess not.

>ceramic
Is that a thing? I only know of plastic resin ones, and ceramic tooth crowns/caps but never fillings.
In fact I feel like ceramic fillings would be a bad idea because they're harder that the surrounding tooth.

This desu

It isn't. A lot of dentists are recommending alternatives unless the client wants metal for longevity of the filling.

I've broken 3. Every time I hold my breath, run around opening doors and windows then wait outside for the specified 15-20 minutes before entering and cleaning up. I had a similar incident with a Teflon pot that had boiled its water dry. I ended up inhaling only 1 tiny tiny breath of the smoke and was laid out with polymer fume fever for a god damn week. It was horrible.

Your body can deal with it, just like it deals with mercury in fish. But, when you combine too many sources like fillings, fish, etc then you can go about a safe limit.

t. committed mercury supplementer

I've only seen the composites that are UV reactive.

amalgam tooth fillings are forbidden in germany

I've been drinking soda more or less every day my whole life and have never gotten any remarks from dentists. It isn't hard to brush decently at least two times a day. Only plebs have teeth problems.

(The sugar "addiction" is a pain though)

It's flossing that is the problem. Especially since people delude themselves into thinking bleeding gums in normal.

german here, it is literally the only type of filling that universal healthare (which most ppl below 100+k yearly use) will pay for. fuck off shill

>gums never bleed at home while brushing or doing anything at all to them
>go to dentist
>they got a new fancy water pick in and want to try it
>after 5 minutes i look like Gene Simmons on stage
>"hurr durr you have bleeding gums, you need to brush and floss more"

I haven't been back since.

Does anybody know if the fake sugar that's in stuff like diet coke is as bad as real sugar for your teeth?

>drinking anything more than water

flossing is not necessary.

No dental hygiene is necessary, if you eat a perfect diet. If your gums bleed when you floss, then your gums are infected and the bacteria are poisoning your blood constantly.

so is free speech

They don't use them anymore because composite fillings are generally superior.

The number of people who have had amalgam fillings over the time they were used has provided a fucking enormous data set. No negative health outcome has ever been identified. It's methyl mercury that's really bad, and exposure to that is mostly due to coal fired power plants and eating things that tend to accumulate it. Metallic mercury isn't easily absorbed by the body, so it's not a huge cause for concern.

Also if it was some kind of retarded conspiracy they'd still be using it.

They do ceramic (I think actually porcelain) fillings in Asia still; they hold up well but you're right, the problem is that they tend to wear down the opposing tooth.

/thread

>They don't use them anymore because composite fillings are generally superior.

In what way? Amalgam fillings often last twice as long. They're very sturdy, but just soft enough to adapt to your bite over time perfectly. Meanwhile composite fillings will eventually crack under pressure if they're less than perfect or your bite had changed slightly.
Composite fillings also constantly fall out - after around 5 years or so of having them. This last one is anecdotal, but quite a handful of my friends who have them complained about this.

There is literally zero evidence that amalgam is harmful. **Dose makes the poison.** This is not up for debate. Dental caries is VERY widespread, probably the most common disease after common cold, especially in the past. Therefore there is extreme amount of high quality long term statistical data about its causes, prevention and properties of fillings. Water fluoridation being unhealthy and amalgams being unhealthy is in the same category as vaccines being unhealthy.

>then why is it being phased out in some countries

Amalgam fillings are ugly so most patients dont want them anymore, also nowadays there are well developed alternatives (composite and glass ionomer fillings) that can finally replace amalgam in all indications. Then there are concerns about mercury release during amalgam manufacturing and via waste from dental offices. It has nothing to do with any evidence of toxicity of actual fillings in the mouth.

dental composites harden with visible blue light, not UV

>Water fluoridation
>something that has only been done in one country
>and has never shown been shown to produce tangible results

Composite fillings bond to the tooth. I think the idea is that less of the tooth material has to be removed when using a composite filling. It's just the decay that's removed. With amalgam fillings you have to drill out a space that will hold the filling in place so that it doesn't fall out. The tooth is more likely to eventually crack or require a root canal or extraction.

It's the longevity of the tooth that's important, not the filling. Even if composite fillings have to be reworked it's relatively minor compared to replacing an amalgam filling.

>provided a fucking enormous data set

Why do people just assume that the research on this has been done. Such a study with a "fucking enormous data set" has never been done. I've looked, and I encourage you to as well. The safety of amalgums literally rests on "well no one has ever identified harm", but this is also because such a study has never been done.

You are just making stuff up. Mercury leakage from amalgam fillings is a fact.

Autopsy on people with amalgam fillings show saturation of the liver and brain and other organs with mercury. Do you really claim this is not harmful?

All of the amalgam defenders in this thread.

>>>APPEAL TO IGNORANCE: (argumentum ad ignorantiam) attempts to use an opponent's inability to disprove a conclusion as proof of the validity of the conclusion, i.e. "You can't prove I'm wrong, so I must be right."

>>>example: We can safely conclude that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy, because thus far no one has been able to prove that there is not.

>>>example: The new form of experimental chemotherapy must be working; not a single patient has returned to complain.

>We can safely conclude that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy, because thus far no one has been able to prove that there is not.
watch some neil degrasse tyson, he'll clear that fallacy right up for you

Mercury is literally the most over-hyped toxin ever. The amount of fear surrounding anything with mercury in it is absurd. Soluble mercury and organomercury compounds are in fact very toxic, but the metal itself is pretty non-reactive and even if you swallowed the amount that exists inside dental amalgams as the pure metal it's unlikely you would see any negative effects after you shit it out.

Yes, elemental mercury is relatively inert. But amalgams off gas mercury vapor, which can bind to methyl groups present all throughout the body.

If there were negative health consequences, they would be apparent and well understood by now. Unless you can cough up studies unambiguously concluding that 90 year olds who have had amalgam fillings in their mouth for 75 fucking years are less healthy than 90 year olds who haven't, you're full of shit. Scientists have had all the time in the world to look for correlations between amalgam fillings and health consequences, and as far as I know nothing significant has ever been identified. The data set is as large as you want it to be. It couldn't possibly be an easier thing to examine. Plenty of people have looked into it because it's well known that mercury is toxic. And what have they found? As far as I'm aware, pretty much nothing. That's a better established safety record than any drug or food additive or anything else you can think of.

Congrats on being a massive moron. I bet you watch that american retard on youtube that shoved his hand into mercury, chewed lead etc.

>eat an orange
>drink a lemonade or soda
>eat a salad with vinegar
>dissolve and/or chelate mercury
>get poisoning
>get dumber
>proclaim mercury is totally safe

Mercury IS extremely toxic. The general public needs to realize that 5 factoids DONT make them experts on a matter.

secret to solving sugar addiction
cut your soda with water.
Drink mostly water beforehand, then soda afterward.

>mercury is the most over-hyped toxin ever
>mercury
>fucking mercury
>not cyanide

>Scientists have had all the time in the world to look for correlations between amalgam fillings and health consequences, and as far as I know nothing significant has ever been identified. The data set is as large as you want it to be.

You say this as if a large longitudinal study has been done on amalgams. It has not been done. Find me this data set you are talking about. It does not exist. You cannot make conclusions from research which has never been done.

Many Europeans countries have banned amalgams for good reason. Are you saying I shouldn't trust their governments, but I should trust my government? Dental authorities in other countries say this shit is harmful. Are they wrong?