/comc/ Day 22 The Count of Monte Cristo Read-through

Chapters 86 through 90

PISTOLS AT DAWN

>Ebooks and audiobook just in case you fancy a challenge and want to catch up
mega.nz/#F!NIcBwCYL!ZZo5gGqjat1yL_-RkuzZFw

>previous bread

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-is-the-best-introduction-to-David-Foster-Wallace-for-someone-who-has-never-read-any-of-his-work
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

chart

Far past it now but this was my biggest criticism.

Sudden shift to Franz and new characters. We don't understand for a while why we should care about them or what they are doing. It all made sense in the end but I think it was an excuse for dumas to show off his travel writing.

has the three musketeers less literary merit?

What do you guys think about stopping making daily threads and just have one thread for the couple of days?

>for the last couple of days

Yeah it occurred to me recently that this might have been the best way to go about it, it is what the w&p thread does. I regret not doing it earlier.

We'll just leave this thread up then. I'll make sure to make a post declaring when it is the next day.

cheeky bump

>I think Mercedes is on to me

>forms dark cloud on brow and wipes it off

Some user said in the last thread that this part had great dialogues between Franz and the count, and looking back i agree.
It's like dumas is showing the ethics behind Dantes new persona, the ethics of revenge and all that.

IT IS NOW DAY 23

Chapters 91 to 95

I am a few chapters ahead but I don't think it counts as spoilers if I say this Euginie and Emily relationship is some top tier Yuri.

I feel bad for people reading the old translation, missing out.

How do I make sure my version isn't missing out? In what chapter does the content start?

If you are not reading the penguin classics' english translation by Robin buss then your version is the old translation and has it edited out.

I can't remember exactly where but, when describing Euginie, Dumas at some point mentions the poetry of Sappho. I imagine that would not be in the old translation. Then it gets quite obvious in chapters 95 - 100.

Don't worry though, you're not missing out on too much. It's nothing explicit. Some cute moments. Just enough to get your imagination going.

>Benedetto marries Euginie and nobody finds out the secret
>They have a baby
>It grows up
>Still nobody knows the secret
>It marries Valentine's kid
>They have a baby
>It grows up
>"May I present the honourable Prince Andrea Cavalcanti the Third"

>tfw working all day and need to wait til tonight for some yuri

I said I would stop at chapter 100 and wait till after the catch up break but man there are some rapid fire action chapters right afterwards. I think I might end up finishing this tonight or tomorrow.

I am reading the OWC edition which I thought had the passages restored, but I'm not sure. Back in an early chapter Sappho was mentioned. Does that mean I have the uncensored version?

I think I'm going to be needing those catch-up days.

I was probably talking bullshit. I didn't know other translations had the passages restored.

What chapter you on, lad?

It is now day 24.

Chapters 96 through 100.

I'm on Chapter 92.

That's not so bad. Should be easy to catch up.

My trek to catch-up continues.

Heloise Villefort is a really interesting character. Resourceful, intelligent, wicked.
Of course Villefort himself has the greatest scenes. His anguish with the poisonings, his doubts about the past affair and the buried child, it all really shines through. I enjoy every scene with him and the doctor.

I pity him. Someone said when we first started this that villefort did nothing wrong. I don't know if I agree completely but you could argue he tried to protect his father.

He says he punishes people in court because every success proves to him that he is not the only one with bad deeds inside them. That bit got to me.

DAY 25
Ketchup day

>mfw there will never be enough catch up days for me to catch up

If Dantes can learn everything he did in 2 years under Faria's tutelage then you can catch up in 2 days

Drink a fuck-ton of coffee and read for 24 hours straight.

Or read at an enjoyable pace but suffer as we discuss ending spoilers.

CHOOSE

I think my record for this readthrough was 150 pages in one day. This was recently as the later stuff really lends itself to 'one more chapter' effect.

Lads, since we are approaching the end of this book, we should begin to discuss the possibility of another read through. I already posted a few times in /wpg/ and mostly of those guys would also like to do another read through.
I think we should nominate 3 or 4 books and hold a strawpoll to decide. What are your thoughts?
Should we continue with another doorstopper?
Something more modern?
Something more dense?

I nominate crime and punishment

We should pick something a lot of people want to read but haven't read. This makes doorstoppers an easy target, but we should consider others too.

The Starting with the Greeks group is supposedly starting sometime.... who knows though. My nominations:
>The Road
>Blood Meridian
>Don Quixote (it's shorter than COMC I think)
>Catch-22

Other books to consider (someone needs nominate them):
>The Princess Bride
>Moby-Dick (less than half as long as COMC)
>One Hundred Years of Solitude
>A Confederacy of Dunces
>Lolita

I second the nomination (though not necessarily a vote).

I do agree that we should pick something that a lot of people want to read, but I'm almost positive that 70% of lit doesn't even read. That being said, I'm also going to invite those from /wpg/ to vote. Hopefully the shit poster don't catch wind of the vote and proceed to meme the shit out of it.
Finally, I think that we should read a book that is more discussion friendly. I loved reading Comc, but there isn't much to discuss theme-wise.

Also:
>Hamlet
>Don Quixote
>V
>Crime and Punishment

Melancholy of Resistance

Sounds interesting user, how did you find this book?

For voting, if you use straw poll please use Allow multiple poll answers (Approval Voting).

I just finished War and Peace ahead of the group. Looking to start another book soon -- preferably shorter than 1385 pages. Something a tad modern.

My Picks:
>V.
>Blood Meridian
>The Trial

And dare I say it?
>Infinite Jest

Sure thing user

Good taste friend

seconding all these
>V.
>Blood Meridian
>The Trial

You know you can still pick one more, right?

He can pick four more really. All three of those have already been nominated.

I'd prefer one of Kafkas other novels since I've read The Trial already

Of those 3 I'd pick V because I havent read it yet

alright, here it goes:

The Broom in Our System
Stoner
Underworld
A Farewell to Arms

Not shorter but I'd be down for a Les Mis read through. Mainly because it's the only unread tome I have on my shelf

>The Broom in Our System
= The Broom of the System by DFW?

quora.com/What-is-the-best-introduction-to-David-Foster-Wallace-for-someone-who-has-never-read-any-of-his-work

This poster recommended reading it last of all his works, or not at all even.

Alright friends, we have a total of 14 suggested books so far. The preliminary voting will be held tomorrow, so until then, if anyone else would care to nominate books they should do so soon.

The preliminary voting will determine the four books that advance to the final round.

If there are not 4 clear winners in the first stage, then the next round will consist of the top 8 books. Then, the top four from that round will advance to the final.

I'm sorry if this system is unclear, but I am open to recommendations if you guys think something else would work better.

>The Broom of the System by DFW?
Yeah.

Hmm, I guess that guy really doesn't recommend it. I tacked that on as I've read most of DFW's stuff except that, but as it might be a disappointing experience, I'll substitute my vote for: Tristram Shandy

of course she was on to him, but the count gives zero fucks because he is the Lord's vengeance incarnate.

still pisses me off Benedetto never got fucked up for killing his step mom in the fire. That fucking piece of shit

How Kafka-esque

Actually, there will only be one round of voting. You will be able to vote for multiple options on the poll.

I'd still say go with 2 rounds. Otherwise some might be surprised by the final pick and would rather have voted one of the others.

Let's do Conan.

Okay

Voting thread is up boys! You've got 24 hours

It is now day 26
last catch up day lads.

Uh, why did you make a new thread for it? I think it'd be better to run a poll just in this thread, so that only the people who follow participate. Not to exclude people from the next read-through, but to ensure we are getting the opinion of this reading group. Because if Veeky Forums at large wants to read something else, that's fine, but the group that has read COMC may want something that Veeky Forums doesn't.

We now have the opinions of what Veeky Forums believes the group should read next. A majority of them won't participate no matter what, but it still could be useful to gauge where new readers might want us to go. It has over 85 votes already. This thread has 17 over 4 days.

When there was a poll for W&P that asked only people who thought they were going to participate to respond, and was simply posted at the top of a later W&P thread, it got 65 responses. People filling it with useless data despite never participating and in many cases having no plans to participate.

I say we ask the W&P thread to post nominations, wait 24 hours, then do a vote right here and see what we get.