What the fuck I can do with matlab Veeky Forums?

What the fuck I can do with matlab Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

reference.wolfram.com/language/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church–Turing_thesis
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

use it as a calculator liek when you forget your times table or smth
gl

A lot, it's touring complete

be a moron, or you could download mathematica and become a god

[math]\text{you could verify that the following relation holds:}[/math]
[math]\frac{1}{4}\sum\limits_{i=0}^{2k+1}3^i = \sum\limits_{i=0}^k3^{2i}[/math]
[math]\text{But i realy suggest you try to prove it analytically}[/math]

[math]\text{How bout dis}[/math]
[eqn]\left(\sum\limits_{i=0}^ki\right)^2 = \sum\limits_{i=0}^ki^3[/eqn]
[math]\mathrm{ebin :-DDD}[/math]

what I can do with mathematica?

>2017
>not using octave

>

what can you not do with mathematica?
reference.wolfram.com/language/

Can I use wolfram alpha specialities too?

matrix operations
why the fuck would you use octave? did you ever try to compare speed of operations between the two? octave is slow as fuck

Only matrix operations?

Then why the fuck it is so expensive?

Create a new kind of science

>BTFO

When I was in undergrad I would sometimes turn in printed out Mathematica notebooks instead of doing the work by hand.

type spy and a doge shows up

>Using communism
>Ever

kys

Check out the toolboxes.

Nice things with matrices

I used it to plot wind flow around wind turbines

Really the OP should've been "What the fuck CAN'T I do with matlab?"

Prove the Riemann hypothesis.

Holy fuck

how much time you spent on this project?

its turing complete isnt it?so literally anything

you can solve that problem by hand in about 10 minutes using conformal mapping techniques, assuming none of the shapes are too crazy, and in about 2 minutes in matlab, regardless of what shapes the turbine is made out of.

Can you guys tell me what other tools I should get some experience with?

matrix stuff = matlab
data acquisition = LabVIEW
high level maths = Maple
general data manipulation = Python

please do a tutorial on it

I'm an engineer. I've been learning Matlab on the side using the license that came with the EDx linear algebra course. Within a week I was able to write a little program that replicated Deming's funnel experiment. I have minimal programming experience, so it's pretty easy to use and I'm having lots of fun learning it.

i made up the part about matlab, i'm assuming it's easy as fuck
but conformal mapping you just have to find a function which transforms your space into one where the flow lines are easy to find (i.e. they are all straight), find them, then apply the inverse transform and you get the flow lines in your original space

proof that matlab is for brainlet engineers that arent smart enough to learn a real programming language like C

So true. No one buys Matlab for Matlab; they buy it for the toolboxen.

matrix/calculating stuff = Matlab
symbolic math = Maple
scripting = Python
actual computing = C++17
legacy = Fortran90/95

>symbolic math = Maple
why

What am I missing in Python that I need C for? Honest question.

I gotta get up on Fortran that I have avoided for 15 years and I need to bite the bullet.
Not that poster but I find Maple to be easier to use with complex equations and Maple's echo seems more robust than Matlab to me.

Or do you recommend a different program? I am open to suggestions.

Totally! Much easier than the excel / visual Basic combo I used before ;)

To all the brainlets saying you can do anything with these languages, you are wrong. Not all things are computable.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church–Turing_thesis

Brainlets please leave.

>Scientific computation
>C
You don't want to go there.

assuming this works, wouldn't that solve alot of aerodynamics problems with crazy chaotic stuff ?

Nah, just in regimes where laminar flow is the dominant effect. If you tried to do this conformal mapping stuff with say a square you'd probably find infinities somewhere. indicating that the laminar flow is not a good approximation anymore and this crazy chaotic stuff takes over

How does Maple compare to, say, Mathematica for symbolic math?
I switched to Linux and can't find a good torrent or afford the license for Mathematica.

>2011+6
>not understanding that scientists and engineers aren't concerned with CS dick measuring contests and just want the results of their computations with minimal
I learn other languages outside of what I use for fun, but dear god some of you are insufferably stupid

Wish I knew I found the same thing as you that it was easy to find a cracked copy of Maple but Mathematica I couldn't.

I have heard that they are very very similar for what its worth.

I cant find a good torrent for matlab 9.2 (2017a)

do you know a good one?

Don't worry, bby. I'm going to improve octave as part of my PhD ;)

What godshit uni are you going to? You get free mathematica and maple on pretty much every relevant uni. Fucking INRIA gives you free license and doesn't force you to invent alternative like it does for almost everything else.

Not that poster but my university only gives Matlab (and pushes matlab hard).

Maple they have on a couple PCs in the physics building for those too stupid to torrent it.

Mathematica is hardly mentioned.

US uni

sounds interesting. sadly i can't get deeper into the topic currently, because of time reasons.

I hate you mathfags, with all your fucking numbers flying in your simulation fetishism, all your garbage doesn't have any immediate and practical application.

The fuck with you, you annoying annoying assholes, because most important advances in science are, were, and still done due empirical experience and testing.

We engineers understand and are the real deal, we are not going designing structures with useless simulation bullshit, we know already that we should add a 5-6 factor in our calculus, and thats all, we move forward.

But you!..you fucking nerdy mathfags! come to us thinking you know more, and your stupid video game have all the answers, and we waste time on it, because the nerdy that offer the service is the son of a manager friend...and you waste our time with that bullshit that everybody knows it doesn't work.

Fuck you mathfags...fuck you!

wtf I hate math now!

Damn, suppose I'm jumping ship. Any experience with sagemath? For some reason it didn't work when I first tried it but I may put some effort in now that I need symbolic ability again.
I just use Octave now, sorry.
I'm not affiliated with a school anymore, I graduated 2 years ago and quit my grad program since it was fucking pointless. But echoing your responder the only time I got free Mathematica was during a stint at an Ivy. A friend who went to CMU got it, but otherwise it's relatively unacknowledged, at least in my field.

>Any experience with sagemath
Nope I just torrent the proprietary software that I can haven't looked at open source tools.

It was for a math modeling class. The actual implementation was straight forward. Most of the time was spent trying to optimize an array.
We didn't need to do it in 3d, so it was straight forward.

There is a LOT more work that could be done with it though.

Matlab has tons of addon packs that make it all trivial bUT they cost between 500-2000 dollars. Our goal was to do it with basic packages included.

be a moron, or you could download maple and become a god

Enjoy being cucked by closed source. What happens if the NSA inserted a backdoor to make your calculations less precise?

What if the 15 year old Russian kid who wrote your open source shit forgot to change the comma to a decimal?
Surprised to see love for Maple on this board. I am the only person of my classmates who prefers it

The other people who contribute will fix it, that's what
I get you've got buyer's remorse over paying out of the ass for math but be realistic about how FOSS works

Oh sorry I thought you had read the thread above where we clearly discuss the fact that we torrent this software.

Honestly anyone who would take an open source alternative over a cracked copy of polished paid software has mental issues.

Maple and Matlab are two different beasts.

Maple is better for symbolic and Matlab is better for numerical.

Wish my uni pushed it this way. They ONLY push matlab and I didn't discovered Maple until my own research during undergrad ODEs.

All my classmates are trying solve complex DEs with gay ass matlab meanwhile I am on the Maple train flying by.

I (((wonder))) why that could be

Mathworks gave the university the best deal on their site license but that includes an embargo on basically anything that competes?

No R love on sci?

much R love here.

Seems like you didn't read the thread either!

>Enjoy being cucked by closed source. What happens if the NSA inserted a backdoor to make your calculations less precise?

Is there a way to make matrices in R as easily as in Octave/Matlab?
I like their massive wealth of packages and Rstudio is fantastic but not being able to do something like [1 2 3; 4 5 6] to fuck around and learn is a little annoying.

Signal processing

I prefer Python but R is cool

both are trash. the language stymies anything more than a demo.

He's not CS. No one in CS gives a shit about these things.

but most engineering firms swear by matlab over things like mathmatica.

>matlab for numerical and matrix related problems
>mathematica for wolfram alpha requests and step by step solution for integration and DEs
>maple for fast solving shitty DEs

Wtf why sci don't use all of them?

I'm having a panic attack over a curriculum requirement of a Matlab for Engineers course, that I cannot understand. It is the single requirement I need to complete my undergrad at a top engineering school, My GPA is high enough, and my resume was good enough to have been accepted into my engineering school's Master's Program without needing to take the GRE, and I have been ground to a complete standstill because I categorically cannot process the abstraction and algorithm process needed for coding and programming. I turbo failed the first exam, am having to mooch of a friend for homework, and am falling more and more behind despite, for all intents and purposes, the relatively 'easy' material.

Call me a complete fucking retard, I will agree. I feel like taking a blunt object and smashing myself over the head until I'm concussed, I do not know who to turn to, and I am having genuine thoughts of self-harm.

Is this pasta?

No. It's my current situation and it's humiliating

At the most basic level, you're telling a machine to do things and it does them. I know your pain somewhat. I had to hit the ground running and learn MATLAB for a Numerical Analysis course. Having to code up recursive block matrix factorization after just learning how to index really fucked my weekend.

>The sorry state of undergrad engineers

If you're at a "top engineering school" and you cant write code in matlab, the easiest fucking language there is, you should drop out

I'm not a paranoid schizo who thinks the government is out to get them

Literally f u c k you for hating that for no reason

Is there a free equivalent to Maple like how Octave is to Matlab?

Or maybe a package in Python?

Funny story: I got shilled into transitioning to Python and numpy/scipy for numerical math. "Industry is moving towards using Python" they said. And, yes, it's free, which is great and it's much better for general programming stuff but for pure math it is not.

Defining arrays in Numpy is way longer than with Matlab. Calling matrix functions is much more unnatural since you have to remember packages.

Actual programming stuff is a massive improvement though. Not having to remember where you stored your functions is a fucking time saver.

sympy

>free
>Octave

Communism is never free.

this is funny

>Communism is never free.

Apart from the /pol/ pandering, what about Octave does not make it free?

GPL is communism that steals your rights to your own labor.

Honestly this

You don't have the balls for self-harm

I'm too fucking stupid/lazy to read licenses. What's in the GPL license that's not covered in the BSD license?

So you made a program to place some points at random positions on a 2d graph..

LAFF?

>I'm too fucking stupid/lazy to read

Communism in a nutshell.

Can you explain what communism even is?

The only real difference is the amount of words. They're trying to make it look like more words = bad for some reason. The BSD license is vague as shit so they can hook you on anything they feel like as violating the contract. The GPL license is very specific and it allows you more freedom since you can only get in trouble for very specific things. The GPL license is also more descriptive meaning the code is likely to be neater and more well managed, providing a better service than the closed source garbage which is probably made by some Indian for peanuts an hour.

Id there any good software for windows 8?

Sage is touted as just that, haven't personally used it though

You forgot to mention that if you include any GPL code into your code, you must publish your code under GPL too. Otherwise you will be hounded.

Why are you stealing free software?

checked

and yeah OP, go for it!

I use it for Finite Element Analysis and whenever I need a graph

stealing something that is free... ok

You can do almost anything on matlab/simulink and the toolbox.

Almost every single one engineering discipline is available in matlab (Electrical, mechanical, communications, computer, chemical, structural, mathematics etc)

This

Mathfags don't even try to understand technology beyond computer programming

Simulink is very useful and intuitive