Are virus living organism?

Are virus living organism?

Why are there virus in the space, how do they survive?

Since when do virus exist?

How did they evolve?

Where can't virus survive?

Are some living species immunized?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus

They probably came from bacteria-like organisms, that showed parasite like "behavior". After some time they became totally dependent of other cells.

Some scientist think they come from rogue DNA strings i belief

>Are virus living organism?
No. They don't have their own metabolism

Why are there virus in the space, how do they survive?
Lots of viruses have envelopes, much like bubble wrap around an expensive vase. Some have clever lifecycle where they never ever see outside

Since when do virus exist?
Hard to guess.

How did they evolve?
I think some were likely retrotransposon-like strands of DNA that acquired an envelope. They likely all don't descend from one single virus. Not much is known about this

Where can't virus survive?
They're pretty frail. Not many places outside their hosts or vectors unless they're enveloped.

Are some living species immunized?
Yes. Though you have to kill the already infected cells rather than the virus copies alone.

can HIV develop airborne capabilities. and if not, why?

>They don't have their own metabolism

How do they function and stay active then? You can't do anything without energy.

>How do they function and stay active then?
they are not active in any way
>You can't do anything without energy
they don't have any internal processes requiring energy
they are a hunk of protein with some nucleic acids inside
they are fucking dead even compared to simplest single cell organism

they only get active when they come in contact with another organism.
they can die and sleep forever
this is why scientists warn of prehistoric viruses from melting glaciers

Aren't viruses just made of proteins and atoms and shit? How is it possible that science can't find a way to destroy something that we pretty much know everything about.

Would prehistoric viruses even be compatible with out bodies?

we could easily destroy all viruses by nuking the entire planet.

butt how could we destroy JUST the viruces? Can't we engineer a virus that attacks viruses?

im not an expert in biology but

we do know that viruses transfer between mammals. just like HIV.
even if the virus didn't evolve around humans it can still infect them because humans have blood cells + immune system etc

I don't think we would really want to kill ALL viruses. Most likely some of them benefit us by killing things that attack us.

So you'd have to try to make a virus that only kills "bad" viruses and leaves the good ones alone, and that's hard. There's a real danger that you might fuck over the whole planet if you release some genetically engineered virus that might have unexpected effects.

>Can't we engineer a virus that attacks viruses?
virus is a non-living parasite
it kills by reproduction and it can only reproduce by parasitism on living cells.

>Can't we engineer a virus that attacks viruses?
i don't think so.
viruses are very adpative and eventually will morph into malicious viruses

>inb4 Wikipedia AP bio brainlets proclaim viruses are not alive because they do not reproduce on their own as if their is any known legitimate universal ontology of life.
Wew. Fucking. Lad. Looks like it's too late.
BTW, I am currently in the process of identifying life as a universal. Viruses are alive. They perform biosemiosis, a property known to me to be the elan vital.
>bu.but they don't reproduce by themselves
Neither do you. Explanatory reductionists BTFO

>Neither do you
we totally do
virus doesn't bang another virus, nor does it shit another virus by itself, get fucked frog

try to reproduce or have a metabolism outside of an ecological system
Pro tip: you can't

viruses don't HAVE a fucking metabolism

They utilize metabolic machinery of other cells

>moving the goalposts

How about we engineer new humans then? Replace the blood with something entirely synthetic so even if viruses enter the body, they won't be able to do shit.

Why do you think life has to have a metabolism?
If it does something like pic related and self-replicates the conditions for doing so, it's alive.
Note that the distinction between viruses and "organismal" life reductionists make is simply a matter of scale.

re-engineering the entire blood system is not needed.
we can continue to make vaccines and anti-biotics
for retroviruses we have something like receptor blockers.
all of this is not enough however, humans adapt over centuries, viruses can change within a week

>we can continue to make vaccines and anti-biotics
We can't even do shit about the mouth herpes virus with all our equipment and knowledge. It would be better for humanity find a solution to all the viruses, all together.

>being le brainlet

maybe we can create new vaccines that instead of weakened viruses they have dead or sleeping viruses.
but then again im not a biologist or a chemist so i wouldn't know where to begin but it seems like a legit idea

why bother with all this when all you need is an inject of blood cell sized robots attacking any cell that is blacklisted in it's database? sort of like a computer anti virus that cures everything, including cancer(with the help of a few a simple ai tricks)

and our technology is getting there. we might see something like this in our life time