I fucked up Veeky Forums

Tomorrow morning is my thesis defense. I finished my thesis two weeks ago, everything is fine with that, the issue is that I have not written my beamer presentation. I have about 8 hours left in this day to complete it, and since my thesis defense is basically me giving this 45 minute presentation, it will determine whether or not I pass. Obviously, I will be lucky to finish the presentation and have no time today to practice giving the presentation itself. I have already been accepted to a prestigious position at a new university, but if I fuck up I won't earn my master's degree and they won't take me. Help me stop procrastinating and write this shit.

give a blackboard talk

not an option at this university, have to write a beamer presentation in LaTeX to accompany your thesis.

what did you expect to get out of coming here? go away and do it

thanks user

Are you retarded?

just copy and paste the tex for your thesis into a beamer file

This. Of course, you did write everything in LaTeX, right OP?

Yeah of course, its a thesis for a math degree aftet all. I feel lile just copying my thesis in will be too transparent? Ive just about done the introduction, about 10 slides. When i posted a similar thread about my actual thesis anons had helpful comments like, "dont worry user a masters degree is meme tier nobody will even read it" or "a thesis is just a run down dont overthink it"

good luck user

Nigga, who gives a fuck about transparency. Get the job done, then tweak it, practice your presentation, and get that Jew gold

Not me, but the committee might? I sent them the thesis 2 weeks ago and now im gonna copypasta that same shit? If its not uncommon ill probably just do that.

From what I know, which isn't much but maybe it might help, your defense committee will skim over the thesis. If they happen to be in the same field of research, they will probably look it over with more care though. Keep that in mind. For your presentation, you will want to condense what you already wrote but in presentation form; it's essentially a run down of your thesis. Things that differ are that you obviously don't need to explain everything in full detail, that's what your written thesis is for, certain derivations don't need to be discussed unless its absolutely necessary to move on in discussing your results, and you don't have build up every little thing from scratch. One thing you have to be on the ball though are the questions the committee might throw at you. Definitely think about common questions and how to answer them.

Thanks for the advice user. I picked committee members who are close enough that they probably read thoroughly. As far as the questions, I am not so worried because I did all the research for the thesis with no help from my advisor, he just suggested the problem, so I do know the material very well. Just procrastinated on this final piece of the jew puzzle.

depending on how much time you have you can do it better (i.e. only put the important stuff on your slides so it's not literally just your thesis copied and pasted)

I mean you're basically fucked so I assume you're just asking for ideas for how you can do the best possible job by tomorrow morning. It's not going to go well.

Your best bet is to do what I said, spend as much time as you have on breaking up the information in your thesis into reasonable slides. And then at the very worst the committee might think you are just horrible at making slides, which is a lot better than realizing you're a complete worthless moron who waited until the night before.

And if your committee is really bros, they might just let you pass even though it's going to go horribly. Good luck

just b urself

Get the fuck off Veeky Forums and go write your shit you fucking faggot.

progress update: 20 slides in, might finish and start practicing by 9 (3 hours from now).

thanks for the cynicism user. i am working to prove you wrong.

>final piece of the jew puzzle
lol, /pol/ user detected, not helping

kys

not a /pol/ user, just thought it was Veeky Forums tradition to blame shit on jews. I don't actually have problems with jews, same way I don't think newfags are actually gay.

It used to be a /b/ thing. Once stormfront users came to the site and moot made a containment board for them (/pol/) it sorta became a /pol/ thing, especially on the blue boards like Veeky Forums where /pol/ users are despised.

Update us fag, I wanna know

I got rolling by using the definitions/propositions from my thesis as slides and it flows well because I actually spent time on the thesis. 27 slides now. I have three example functions I do this transform on and that will take up like 8 more slides. Getting close guys... It's not my best work but I have read online that it's virtually impossible to fail your defense if you show up and wrote your own thesis.

Just don't be an Asian and read off your slides. This one grad student in one of my classes did that and they stopped him and told him to redo it.

As for preparedness, you should be an expert on this at this point so re telling your thought process and results should be pretty straightforward

I know exactly what youre talking about, some mexican and indian students at my school with less than stellar english had defenses like you described but instead of interrupting they were allowed to just continue to get it over with it seemed. I have mostly pictures and talking points, some definitions and propositions, and then examples. I will be adlibbing most of the rest but like you said i am a legit expert on this narrow topic so should be easy. Ive also already presented this work at some conferences so im not too worried about the speaking aspects.

Tell us about your thesis/field of concentration!

What cynicism? He's literally resaying the stuff you said in the OP

dont wanna get doxed but broadly speaking, functional analysis and hilbert spaces

What are hilbert spaces REALLY?

vector space with an inner product that is complete w.r.t. limits, i.e. every cauchy sequence under the metric induced by the norm induced by the inner product converges to an element of the Hilbert space.

Just adjusting figures and shit at this point. 33 slides, aiming for 35 to 40 minutes as I spoke to another student and found out 45 minutes was an overestimate. I want to go to sleep so I can wake up early and practice presenting it but I know I won't be able to because I'm nervous about them noticing I made it last night. Thanks for everyone who posted in this thread, it definitely helped to motivate me. First Veeky Forums helped me write my thesis, now my defense presentation, I am sure I will be back in 2 years when I am writing my dissertation.

Can someone explain to me what a cauchy sequence is?

Sure, a cauchy sequence is a sequence of elements of a metric space where the distance between two elements get smaller and smaller, tending to zero as you move further and further down the sequence. So if you want the distance between two elements of the sequence to be less than some number, any number you want, I can always find some point in the sequence where all the elements of the sequence after that point are as close as you asked, as measured by the metric.

Google it nerd. Basically terms of the sequence get arbitrarily close to one another.

Alright faglord how did it go? Did Veeky Forums get you your degree?

It's in 2.5hrs. I am practicing the presentation right now and printing out the forms I will need to get signed following the defense. I keep reminding myself that it's virtually impossible to fail...

>I keep reminding myself that it's virtually impossible to fail...
I know at least two people who managed to fail their thesis defense because they went in barely prepared and had the exact same attitude

The defense is more of a formality than anything. As long as you know what you're talking about, and aren't just reading off equations from your slides, you'll be fine.

Speak with confidence. Remember, you are the world's leading expert on what you're presenting.

Well good thing I'm not 'barely prepared'. My slideshow isn't polished but I know this material like the back of my hand, I've presented it at two different conferences before this where the audience was allowed to and did ask questions.

Don't get me wrong, I wish you good luck, i just hate the "nothing go wrong in your presentation" attitude of some students

Can I just let you know.. you're a massive faggot

If you pass you better come back and thank us

I recommend that you work on your fucking powerpoint all through the night nonstop until the defense. You'll be fine. And it's absolutely doable without drugs.

I dont know if youre giving bad advice on purpose but that wouldve been a terrible move imo.

Listen dude, and listen carefully.
You've made your thesis. You know the subject in and out. You DON'T NEED TO PRACTICE for the presentation. You know what's important to tell and you know what it's all about. Just make some slides that are important. Introductary, research, conlusions, yadayada and explain them. You know how to explain them because you've been focused on this subject for months now. It should be a piece of cake. Have some confidence in your acquired knowledge OP. You don't need to practice that.

>You know the subject in and out. You DON'T NEED TO PRACTICE for the presentation
This is what I thought before which made me mess up horribly. Then again I'm a pretty bad public speaker, someone better might get away with it.

Giving a mock presentation in an empty room always helped me. Helps you adjust to the flow of your slides. Even just flipping through your slides to see which bullet points come up when can help tremendously.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

did just this, I know what I want to say at each slide but if it 'suprises' me then I am likely to stumble/forget what I wanted to say there.

Thanks for the support user.

30 minutes until go time. I have gotten the key for the room and I am going to setup and give another dry run.

gl OP i believe in you

No, it's a Veeky Forums thing you fucking newfag

Hang on in there, user! Gambatte!

t.someone who has been there

Oy vey goyim don't hate us, we're good goys!

>it's virtually impossible to fail your defense
Yeah sort of but I think your advisor is also fucking up a bit because he really should have at least asked to glance at your slides beforehand.

Hopefully the committee is all bros. If they're bros then you essentially can't fail.

>I feel lile just copying my thesis in will be too transparent?
You wrote it. You are there to present it. Nothing wrong with copy/pasting stuff from your report into a presentation. Heck, when I defended my masters my presentation was pretty much just keywords and pictures screenshotted into a powerpoint presentation.
Basically what said. Not like you can possibly present a full thesis in 45mins anyway. Stick to the main points/interesting stuff

I did it. It took 45 minutes, they said I was one of the best in a while. I got some questions during the presentation but none after (besides my pronunciation of one guy's name and I didn't capitalize one instance of Parseval), often one committee member would ask a question about why I was doing something and then another committee member would pipe up and answer it before I could, which I was fine with. I got my master's in math Veeky Forums, you helped write the thesis and defend it.

he asked me to send it on saturday and I just didn't respond. we have that sort of relationship, he gives me abstract direction to take but I am behind the wheel on all aspects.

fuck yeah!!!!!

Congrats dude

We're all proud of you, transformanon

Good shit nigga. Now don't do it again for your Ph.D, you best have learned from your mistakes. Btw, what's a master's curriculum like for math? What do you cover?

Fuck. On the bright side, writing a beamer presentation doesn't take that long and isn't hard. The thing to fear is the fact that you will probably fuck up the timing. Mine was way too long when I first started practicing and had to charge through, skimming over as many details as possible for the presentation (it's really hard not to ramble on / give too much detail). Thankfully, from practicing so much, my speech flowed very well and stayed coherent while going quickly. Godspeed user. Fucking just finish it now.

Fucken right bud. Im starting mine next fall. Scared and excited on so many levels.

I thought this was your PhD defense.

I can't believe I tried to help you

brainlet

never change Veeky Forums. I am going to get my phd in 3 years.

good luck user, don't procrastinate like me.

this is the real advice, I am definitely not going to repeat this. I feel like I almost lost it all.

JIDF gtfo

Well done, master user. Next: PhD.

someone explain this shit to freshman... why the fuck does it matter if your presentation is good. Wtf is this highschool?
I mean if you got a significant result with your thesis why should anyone care if you stutter while presenting it or whatever.
And why do you have to defend your thesis in such a stressful situation while instead of giving you time to refute the arguments or whatever. I mean do they actually care about results or is it just looking good bullshit.

>Master's

congratulations on doing something a braindead 10 year old could do fucking retard

what do you want from us? approval? kill yourself brainlet

was there ever a prodigy that got a master in math below 10? I'm curious now

It's about being able to communicate your research to other mathematicians. It's not so much about looking good but effective communication

Throughout your life you will be judged on the ability to present yourself in public. Academia is no different.

Dude, I literally copy-pasted like 2 days before. I passed. It's fine unless your profs are way bigger buttholes than mine.

But he's wrong about it going badly. Nobody expects you to be a master presenter and it's really common to have about 30% of the thesis text copied into the slideshow, followed by a shitty dry reading of the slides.

It will only go bad if he doesn't understand his own material.

>about 30% of the thesis text copied into the slideshow, followed by a shitty dry reading of the slides
Those are grounds for beheading.

Far better is it to, say, just take the diagrams, figures, equations in the presentation, which forces you to *talk about* what you did rather than reading out loud what everyone can read, complete with a stutter that gets on everyone's nerves.

if you got a significant result, you have to convince someone to read it in a first place

cite me for my contributions my nigga or I'll steal your degree and use it as rolling paper. my name is on the top left of this post. you owe it to us.

>never change Veeky Forums. I am going to get my phd in 3 years.

Well, don't bother asking for help again. This grudge, we'll remember.

I would also be okay with a simple (You). I recognize you have professional requirements and I'm willing to work with them.

I would do that and post it here if Veeky Forums wasn't the way it was. Just know you guys are acknowledged.