What the hell did you just say about me, you big phony? I’ll have you know I was kicked out of Pencey Prep...

What the hell did you just say about me, you big phony? I’ll have you know I was kicked out of Pencey Prep, and I’ve been involved in numerous prostitution attempts, and I have smoked over 300 cigarettes. I am versed in composition writing and I’m the craziest sex maniac in the entire world. You are nothing to me but another phony. I will goddam sock the hell out of you with all my might, for Chrissake. You think you can get away with saying that to me over the Internet and all? Think again, you moron. As we speak I am buzzing my incognito network of ducks around the park and your address is being tracked right now so you better prepare for the winter, lousy bastard. The winter that freezes the fish and all in the pond. You’re goddamn dead, I’m not kidding. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can complain in over seven hundred different ways, and that’s just about my lousy brother D.B. Not only can I whine about everything, but I can dance with every dopey girl that I meet in a bar and I will dance until I knock you out, I swear. If you would know about how I would plug you with six shots with my automatic when I’m bleeding and all, maybe you would have shut your mouth. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and know you’re going to pay the damn price and all, you corny big shot. I will drink highballs all over your room and you will hit the ceiling. You’re a goddamn phony, sonuvabitch. I’m not kidding.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S7021324#p7021645
warosu.org/lit/thread/S4528424#p4528435
twitter.com/AnonBabble

reddit

>no reference to lil sister Phoebe rape
D- for effort.

>I will goddam sock the hell out of you with all my might, for Chrissake
chuckled

No gorilla warfare?

Kys

pretty corny but i laughed

8.5/10

wut

reddit

>holden's sister rape scene
enlight me on this super edgy Veeky Forums meme

I know it's a stale meme and The Catcher in the Rye isn't Ulysses but it's still funny, lol.

Perhaps you should be the one going to Reddit, my friend? I'll show you the way

>>>/reddit/

How old were you when you realized Holden was the biggest phony of all?

Lol, I read this as "where were you?", like a JFK assasination thing.

I laughed several times.
Do this with the eagle/tear/that student was Einstein one.

In one of its typical bursts of hit-and-run genius, Veeky Forums conjectures that Holden's character arc, and particularly the reason for his psychoanalysis and institutionalization, is that in a scene not written, but implied by giving a means, motive and opportunity, Holden raped his sister.

It's an elegant assertion. I always compare it to the "Iago was a Turkish spy who fulfilled his mission to weaken the Venetian side by killing Othello and making it look like anything other than an enemy assassination."

Neat ideas, but impossible to support with the text, because they are just not there in the text.

mmh, there is a post somewhere about this? I'd like to read this throry.
I didn't remember that holden was institutionalized. wasn't here sis pretty chill with him though? shouldn't her been traumatized?

It started when user claimed to be writing it up in an undergrad paper.

warosu.org/lit/thread/S7021324#p7021645

it's "get out of here" and "way over in the other wing" and "psychoanalyst guy they have here" that strongly imply that Holden is telling his whole story to a therapist or analyst. In an institution. Where he was placed after raping Phoebe, when he got home. Viz:

"That's all I'm going to tell about. I could probably tell you what I did after I went
home, and how I got sick and all, and what school I'm supposed to go to next fall, after I
get out of here, but I don't feel like it. I really don't. That stuff doesn't interest me too
much right now.

A lot of people, especially this one psychoanalyst guy they have here, keeps
asking me if I'm going apply myself when I go back to school next September. It's such a
stupid question, in my opinion. I mean how do you know what you're going to do till you
do it? The answer is, you don't. I think I am, but how do I know? I swear it's a stupid
question."

That Holden is speaking to "you" and that "you" is certainly a doctor in a psych ward is not new and not controversial. It's in most Cliff's Notes.

What makes user's meme stick is that if you know of it and read the book, it seems entirely possible that he is lying about his relationship with Phoebe and refusing to talk about it, because he is disgusted with himself and wishes it hadn't happened.

user never came back with the finished paper, so now Veeky Forums carries it forth as one of its own personal bests.

in that link a guy mentions an essay (?) called "Implicit Violence: The Intertexual Evidence that Holden Raped Phoebe"

but there's no follow up in the conversation

did user made a thread about it?

And no mention of it anywhere on the internet. It's a rare google one-off. There used to be a drinking game about being able to find google searches that only return one result. So there's that too.

It was appropriated into other threads and became an organic Veeky Forums meme. Based on the one post mentioned it is not even clear that he wasn't just making it up, or ever wrote it.

Also, I found this:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S4528424#p4528435

thank you

>warosu.org/lit/thread/S4528424#p4528435
Not gonna lie, that's still one of my favorite threads of all time from Veeky Forums. I was posting in that thread and damn. Even if the guys arguing that Holden raped his sister were tongue-in-cheek, their arguments were pretty ingenious.

I'm surprised screenshots of this thread don't get memed around more or that it's not as much periodically discussed as Torquato Tasso/Not-Pynchon, if a book of this reputation turned out to have childfucking in it by the main character that'd be way more revolutionary than the (admittedly clever) allusion to Torquato Tasso found in CL49.

Fucking kek