Pls no bully

Pls no bully.

How exactly do you read a book? Last time I read a book was in my teenage years and I'm really trying to get into reading now but it seems irrationally hard. I enjoy the content (history / politics) but my pacing and concentration is piss poor.

To begin with, I have to read quite slow to comprehend the information and read over a few times. My eyes stray ahead of the text (as if skim-reading) and I have to battle to focus on the word at hand. My concentration is very poor as well, if i'm shaking my legs or twiddling my thumbs I seem to lose my train of thought. I tried reading on the bus and it was a disaster, the shaking book, keeping an eye on the time and the stop... it was erratic and in the end a pointless endeavour.

I feel like an idiot asking "how to read" but I want to know for sure if it's just me, or others have experienced something similar. Thanks.

You have to practice. Keep reading and try to read a little bit more every day, it'll help your focus and endurance.

Just read about things that are super interesting. I like reading about cute boys, so my fav is the Odyssey .

Give up on visualization before you even try. You'll never be able to do it after so many movies and video games.

start playing chess

Same happened to me.
Just read in small increments with no distractions around and then slowly read for longer and longer periods of time.

Reading takes practice, its a hobby but at the same time its a mental exercise. Its normal to start out like that, sure you seem to be a little extreme on your lack of attention but everyone starts out not being able to read for hours.

I wasn't really into it until I read Lord of the Rings. That was my wake up book, after that reading became a hobby and now its an addiction. You just need to find your book, be honest with yourself and don't listen to people telling you to read hard shit, pick up something that you can read without reservations no matter how retarded it is. There is no point picking up a philosophy book that is hard to read only to please other people, just pick something you like and stick to it till the end, after you finish your first book the rest comes naturally.

Take lsd and you will learn how to read again.

when you're guys are reading a series of book, do you read then one after another or do you guys take breaks reading other books?

I usually read books depending on my mood. For example, If I'm sad and I want to feel better I read something funny, and If I want to feel worst I read some tragedy or something like that. Somewhat like music.

step 1: stop reading /pol/ and grow then fuck up.

step 2: do not deny step 1, you're obviously a stupid child of the internet, you probably think 'alt-right' is actually a thing.

step 3: just kill yourself, why are you on a literary board asking 'how to read', seriously. look at yourself and your dumb-ass way of viewing the world and accept that it was invented, much like 'the small-folk / real niggaz' so that your social betters can easily spot lower level, cry-baby fucking losers like yourself by your adherence to these obviously nonsensical rules.

you're welcome. now fuck off.

I think people really over play the importance of "reading". If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. I read things that I find interesting or funny. I prefer reading literature to watching television and film, and only do it for pure entertainment purposes. I read philosophy and history books because something generally piqued my interest.

Forcing yourself to read, or reading because classroom posters when you were 12 told you it was good for you is the dumbest trend humanity has ever faced.

Start with short and sweet children's books

I'll teach you my secret, OP.
I went from 0~1 book per year to almost 60.

Reading is just like a marathon, if you're not trained you won't run 42km straight. So, keep in mind that every time you sit and read you're progressing, you're getting more concentration and will be able to handle books better. You should force yourself to sit and start reading, you won't feel like "you need to read" in the beginning (and sometimes you'll never get this feeling). Sit and read it anyway, with patience and perseverance. When i start reading, my comprehension is a little bad, so i read 1 or 2 pages, just to get used, and go back and read them again.
Its important that you set a daily objective, 1 hour of reading with a break in the middle? 10 chapters? 30 pages? Make sure its something a little bit hard but ACHIEVABLE, you've got to be able to complete the task. Then you keep the routine until you feel you can read 50 pages now. And keep the routine until you feel you can read 100 pages. And there it goes...
Also, you have to choose books you're able to read, as my grandad always say: you should start where you are (read easier books, but not fucking YA), not where you want to be (ie ulysses).

its not gonna be easy, but i'm sure if you're as autistic as i am you'll have fun imposing yourself these tasks and completing them

>step 1: stop reading /pol/ and grow then fuck up.

>step 2: do not deny step 1, you're obviously a stupid child of the internet, you probably think 'alt-right' is actually a thing.

his post had nothing to do with anything like that

are you going to be okay what is happening to you right now

low attention span niggger who played to many video games

This is pretty much what happened to me. I used to read books the way most kids my age listened to whatever the gossip was. I read Lord of the Rings at 13 and The Hobbit at 11, and an abridged version of Call of the Wild at around 8, same with Moby Dick, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Whitefang, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, Swiss Family Robinson... What? My grandmother had gotten me a big set of abridged classics for my birthday. 8-year-old me loved them more than he thought he would. I spent more of my 12th grade English class reading 1984 than I did on the assigned literature. I was constantly, constantly reading something- novels, mostly, and, while this is generally oxymoronic, high-quality fanfic, not to mention an unholy shitton of Redwall and Harry Potter. I even did a little (mediocre but fuck you I was 14-15) writing of my own. I've been trying to get back into reading and writing as an adult but it's hard. I work for a living now, and being an autistic introvert whose job is to deal with hungry people is more stressful than it has any right to be, so when I get home, I just want to turn my fucking brain off and play some vidya or jerk off or sleep, or maybe have a drink or two. Usually all of the above. I'm honestly considering booking my vacation this year purely to read some fucking books. I need to finish Atlas Shrugged, find a copy of Lolita, and finally start that damn novel I've been thinking about since I was 15.

Are you actually illiterate and using Dragon to trash OP?

theres nothing more offensive on Veeky Forums than actually reading
it hurts too much on those who don't read