Why do you guys and other people like poetry at all? It rhymes, but what's so good about that? Why is that good...

Why do you guys and other people like poetry at all? It rhymes, but what's so good about that? Why is that good? Is this suppose to be enjoyable? I don't get it. Please explain, I feel like I'm missing out. Unless all poets and poetry lovers throughout history are just pseuds

>it rhymes

why did Milton have such DSL?

well why do people watch movies, look at paintings or listen to music?

because it's art.

Step one is to stop reading shit poets like Edgar Allan Poe

well movies have good plots, stuff happens n shit. Music is pretty shit though. Paintings can have sort of a plot, but more often fall into the music/poetry category. The reason I only mentioned poetry is because this is a lit board

It makes me feel something.

but why you fucking idiot bastard, and why don't I have feelings

No one but you knows why you don't have feelings. Did you misplace them?
Poetry gives feels if the poet expresses some truth or observation that you have felt before, but didn't have the words for. Even if it doesn't touch on any universal theme, poetry can still draw admiration just for having cleverly arranged words.

>Poetry gives feels if the poet expresses some truth or observation that you have felt before, but didn't have the words for
that doesn't have anything to do with poetry, what truth can't be written easier in non-poetic form? Poetry makes these things HARDER to express because it tacks on additional requirements

Just because you're a pleb who doesn't understand how to read prosody let alone a poem doesn't mean that the rest of us are too. Poetry is language charged with meaning. This is something reinforced by years of reading poetry. There are no "additional requirements." Poetry says in fewer, more beautiful words what prose does.

so you have to read it for years before you even understand it or enjoy it. That's the oldest scam in the book. Suppose I go through with that, I'm sure at three years if I still don't get it you'd say I need three more years, or possibly that I'm reading it with a closed mind. Of course at that point I'm sure most people are so invested in it, that they refuse to admit to themselves that they've been scammed, and have to pretend that they now get it. That's the way a lot of scams end up working, how people end up believing scams even if they are shown concrete evidence of it being a scam.

You're 'arguments' in particular are only making me more doubtful. No specific reasons are given, just alludes to these arguments that are obvious to all who just commit themselves, and seems to insult me, aim to make me feel stupid for not seeing these things. But these things for some reason cannot just be plainly stated

The sort of bait
that Veeky Forums will take

well it's bait in that I'd like to get a strong discussion going, of course, but not in that anything I said was dishonest. I flipped the pic of poe in hopes to offend some poetry fans, so that they would be angry with me and end up having a fervent argument with me, but it's not really working. But that's possibly just evidence that nobody really cares about poetry really, they're all just pseuds

>Person doesn't understand poetry
>Must be bait

Come on mate, some people can't grasp it. I'm not OP, but I also don't really understand the appeal of poetry.

i think the brevity of some poetry that can still convey a feeling, memory or overall experience is wonderful works of art.

best example?

There is no discussion.
You want to know why your opinion is different from others, and that's because you're a different person.
the most straightforward way to tell a story is to just sum it up. Poetry, cinematography, or whatever else is simply in the way of telling a plot, so you should look up some Wikipedia summaries if you want raw plot.
That's it.

Also,
Bait.

He called music shit because it doesn't have a plot. It's obviously bait.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand."

:^)

Poetry is the fine art of writing. If writing had analogues in the visual arts, poetry would be more akin to painting or photography, and the novel would be film.

I honestly enjoyed novels more as a kid but now I almost never read them. Everything I want in a novel, I can find in a good book of poetry. It's less weighed down by narrative, moral lessons, character development, etc. Narratives in poetry, unless it's an epic, reminds me more of narrative paintings.

Poetry is just a more concentrated form of good writing. It invokes feelings, and imagery and new ideas.

Do you not like to read?

It's reading user.

The summaries lack valuable details

music is shit

/:

>Poetry is just a more concentrated form of good writing. It invokes feelings, and imagery and new ideas.
You forget, it's all that WITH tacked on rhyming, metre, line breaks, all that shit. How does that shit add to the feelings, imagery, and new ideas

It's a form of artistic constraint. Prose has constraints as well, such as grammar, narrative, etc. These rules can be broken of course, and some works may outright ignore them, but they are used to create a frame in which to create one's verbal "painting." The type of frame which develops in a given time or place will vary, but that's what it is. Poetry is just a different sort of frame. A similar idea applies with music as well as any other art form.

read a book about it. poetic meter and poetic form is like 150 pages and explains a lot of that.

Details don't matter when it comes to plot. Film, literature, music and especially games with their in the way gameplay are all garbage. If you provide more than a sentence per a plot point, then you're a pseud masturbating over your ability to make words or images pretty, or button pressing "fun" (it's not real fun because it isn't related to the plot).

how did the very first poets get into poetry in the first place? Surely they didn't have a book on poetry, as it hadn't been invented yet

Rhythm and intonation effect people emotionally, and those things effect rhythm and intonation.

They invented it, as one invents a genre of music, perhaps inadvertently, only to be systematized over time.

the first poetry probably told somewhat lengthy stories and used meter as a mnemonic device. so it had a practical purpose. also a lot of people find meter inherently pleasurable, it's probably why children like nursery rhymes.

Metre has nothing to do with plot, so if you claim to "enjoy" it, then you are a pseud.

OP here
this wasn't me, they are trying to make me look like a jerk

Actual OP here
This is some /pol/ock trying to derail the thread.

No it's fucking not, why do you have this idea it all has to fucking rhyme?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT A FUCKING HAIKU IS?

well it was an example of the sort of rule it might follow. Tacked on rules. Haiku is different rules. Still don't see what they add, only detract

Its there a guide / chart for Poetry?

(I read Rimbaud but i dont get it???)

this thread is confirming my suspicion that there's really nothing to get, it's all a big lie

because it's our birdsong- how we best tell people to fuck off this shit is ours and that we love their immense ass could we put the collective dicks of humanity in there? it's our basic drive for replication, repetition, rationale, sense in the noise of everything, and music that has due regard for the silences and stops that makes sound more chaotic. it lifts the laughter of crowds and quiet sobs of loneliness above mere instrumentals, calls off rabbles, and musters armies into lockstep. it teaches children morals and makes grown men cry. it coddles pseuds, accommodates the lewd, and softens the crude, works in advertising on the side, and all the time confides, somewhere between the lines. you can masturbate out a few lines about your nocturnal emissions and splatter a thousand orgasms across the readers of the new york review of books like its 1970 too.

This post is confirming my suspicion this thread is meaningless, and it's all just bait.

Original OP here, I don't know what's going on, neither of those are me.

These posts are made by some sexy animals.

Original OP here I'm dead

Why you are trying to slander me and ruin my thread?

2spoopy