Today I've made the decision to quit drinking

Today I've made the decision to quit drinking.

Any books for this feel? Something that I could relate to, to make it a bit easier for me to get through it.

the aa big book?

I quit drinking a month and a half ago. I have much more reading time now that I'm lucid at night.

I've been reading the Count of Monte Cristo; it's extremely long and funner than the fourth drink of the night.

A woman telling a guy to get a hobby is pretty rich. I only met one woman with a hobby, and it was making corsets. (Unless Facebook and Instagram count as hobbies, now.)

Thank you, I hope I will feel the same about it.

My problem is that, even when I'm reading, alone in my room when it's dark outside, I feel extremely lonely and bored and alcohol or other drugs helped me push away these feelings.

The extra reading time at night would be really nice. Sorry if my post is somewhat incoherent because I'm high right now lol..

It's not a Veeky Forums choice by any means but I really enjoyed A Thousand Tiny Pieces

So, did you quit drinking yet or just "took the decision" to quit?

Anyway, try Burpkowski's short stories. They might make you disgusted of what you used to be and glad you're not anymore. Or they might make you nostalgic and eager to get back to all that, in which case they will act as a test of your willpower.

I have only made the decision today.

Last night I drank three bottles of wine and got into a sort of fight with my cousin, who is the only person I really appreciate in my life,; and this morning when I woke up I just felt the worst I ever felt, and I want things to change.

I've read Ham on Rye and Post Office.
Post Office was nice but I didn't like the other one.
I'll check out his short stories, thank you!

>made the decision today
>Last night I drank three bottles of wine

Yeah, this won't go far.

If you want a trick I learned, only buy in moderation. Don't buy three bottles if you know you're going to drink all of them. Just buy one.

But I want to quit entirely. I'm not a good person when I'm drunk.

Work on moderation then quit entirely. Going from 60mph to 0 in a second will throw you to the pavement. If you lessen your "speed" gradually, you'll not even notice it's lessened.

It's easier to limit yourself than it is to stop completely, and this is why cold turkey plans usually fail.

I feel unable to drink in moderation. When I pick up my first drink, I will not stop and continue until I pass out. idk

That's why you only buy one. After the one, there's nothing more to drink.

I don't quite understand why I'd have to do that.

When I stop drinking in the middle of a "session", a sort of depression sets in.

When I don't drink at all I won't even get to that point.

If you feel you cant drink in moderation yhen ignore the guy telling you to try moderatiom. Maybe check out AA. You dont have to keep going if it isnt for you

The book has been memed to death here, but honestly, Infinite Jest touches upon addiction and its root causes, especially loneliness.

Writing fan-fic is hobby

Siddhartha
Letters From a Stoic

I found these books to help me get my vices under control

Cool, I'll put it on my list. Thanks.

Read Factotum too. I think it's got even more drinking than the other two. On second thought, his short stories are not that good. The novels feel like a bunch of shorts stringed together anyway. Overall he's not a great writer, of course, but I think he's good at what he does, doesn't require too much concentration (if your willpower is about to be tried, your cognitive abilities are going to be taxed too) and so he might just be what you need right now.

Infinite Jest is actually great for this

I felt similar about Henry miller

There us truth to this, but people are different.

I dropped smoking, cold turkey, even while my bf still smoked all the time. Been about 10 years.

Sure. For what it's worth, I actually switched to suboxone treatment for my opioid addiction as I was reading it, and quit the morphine and oxycodone pills I'd been popping for a few years. Clean from all of it for 6 months now.

It's just a book, of course, but if you're at the point in your life where you can already see that drug addiction isn't that great for you, it can facilitate some worthwhile introspection.

You dont. Just stick to your guns, and quit.

Good for you!

Alright great, you guys are nice and helpful, thank you!
I will try cold turkey and if that fails I'll try to drink in moderation.

Not memeing here, but infinite jest deals with addiction (in multiple forms) and even has a large portion of the book dealing with AA.

I read a pretty good book for alcoholic but I forgot the name but I know it was a doctor. Basically you should use those books to prime yourself against bad habits.