Isn't it about time something literary comes based on video games...

Isn't it about time something literary comes based on video games? There's plenty of Veeky Forums based on other media like film.

Are video games inherently unliterary?

Other urls found in this thread:

sub-q.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=M6VT2ri0UFM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Are video games inherently unliterary?
Probably.

But that does lead to the question, are there any vidya that really have good writing? Best I can think of is TES lore.

Fallout Lore is pretty well developed. And by Fallout I mean Interplay and Obsidian, not Bethesda.

No because story and gameplay are like oil and water.

>TES lore
>Good writing

>video games
>worthy of something literary
I'm sorry that you are unable to grow up.

but video games are just enjoyable literature, wutz the point in going backwardz?

>are there any vidya that really have good writing?
Mario

Final Fantasy 7

Already came out.
Learn how most radical company came to life, and how John Romero was awesome person.

It's because most books based on video games rely on tropes. Ready player one is basically one big cliche and "LOL XD uS gamers right??? XD cake is le lieeee XD!"

>are there any vidya that really have good writing?
Play any of the LucasArts graphic adventures.
Also, interactive fiction games (aka text-only games). They may be pulp sci-fi shit, top notch pulp sci-fi.

If people can write novels about sports, they can write novels about video games. It's just like one person said, most of them are written by people who don't really take gaming seriously.

The Love Song of Johnny Valentine is a book that includes the main character playing vidya in a loterary manner eg it isn't a novelty, but helps build character

there are some interesting works formatted as vidya games, but are literary in intent. I think the diference is the process of development: most vidya is gameplay first, trying to be an entertaining game, but what I'm thinking of was clearly developed from the artistic content on down, video game just happens to be the medium.
Wish I could remember a couple of the websites, i had a prof that showed me some because she was pretty interested in it.

A videogame that disregards gameplay cannot be a good work of art, just as a film that disregards cinematography or a novel that disregards prose cannot be.

Is 2hu art?

Sure it can.

Videogames can't be art.

Literature can't be art.

>are video games inherently unliterary
yes, now go do something productive you degenerate addict

The Beginner's Guide is very literary, but people have a hard time getting past one level of the narrative.

also is a very screenshottable game

there are tons of books about minecraft, i'm surprised no one mentioned it

Here are some titles that usually get brought up during the >muh video game story debate

Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, The Witcher Series, KOTOR 2, Grim Fandango, FF 6, Half Life 2, Mother 3, Silent Hill 2, LA Noir, Heavy Rain, The Wolf Among Us(Based on the Fable comics)

I kind of think of writing in games the same way I think of writing in Film/TV

Childhood is idolizing Romero

Anyone here played much amateur interactive fiction? There's some stuff in there that could be considered literary or at the very least makes an attempt.

Stephen Bond's Rameses, Ian Finley's Exhibition, Emily Short's Galatea, Adam Cadre's Varicella & Photopia

Plus there's the whole Twine scene, which, while it seems to be dominated by games about tranny identity politics, has some interesting works here and there. They even have a literary magazine sub-q.com/

+1

Also Firewatch, about much more mature themes than most vidya

try Pathologic, pleb

I mean I thought red dead redemption and bio shock were fairly kino.
It's not that vidya can't have good writing, so much as most of the games that try to be literary just end up being too tryhard like those annoying indie games.

Stories written just about a video game without trying to add or expand on the story are probably going to be pretty shit because novels and games have different goals.

Vidya is primarily trying to give the player an entertaining experience, and story is just one part of that. Books and other literature is primarily telling a story, and thus can focus on that in a far more meaningful way.

If you want Veeky Forums based on video games it would have to be in a way that expands on the story of the game and doesn't just try to tell the story of what a video game character does.

Games are begining to branch out creativly into a unique space. This was originally a HalfLife 2 mod that became an independant product: Dear Esther.
Less a game and more of an interactive narrative,you wander through a barren island and muse about life,with slight differences in each playthrough...

youtube.com/watch?v=M6VT2ri0UFM

Mass Effect 2

As much as gamers may loath to hear it, walking-simulators like Firewatch and The Beginner's Guide (moreso Beginner's than Firewatch desu) are probably some of the closest you can get with games that try and play to storytelling strengths. Firewatch is sort of an unremarkable drama even if it is very good, but I'd really suggest to experience The Beginner's Guide.

Dear Esther is a classic walking-sim. It's beautiful enough to play through once, and the story that is there is provocative and atmospheric while being pretty scant.

I wouldn't put it anywhere near the same tier as any of the great novels, but The Last of Us gives a fine experience that incorporates several mediums quite well - the visuals are vibrant, there's a stark minimalistic quality to the music that accentuates the setting, and the story, though seeming at first to be just another derivative zombie romp, overcomes this first impression and conveys both character and struggle in entertaining ways.

Video games suffer in much the same way that cinema suffers - it's an inherently collaborative, market-driven experience prone to executive meddling. I think that great art can only flourish in a sort of tyranny where the creator is able to realize his vision without interference.

Yeah I think The Last of Us is masterful as far as games imitating the qualities of film. I even like the gameplay a lot.

yeah, the 'walking sim' genre allows for more specific mechanics to convey meaning (puzzles can also achieve this sometimes like Antichamber) which i think many of the games miss out on, especially Dear Esther clones. However The Beginner's Guide marks its difference with the second level and the requirement of suicide (and shows its mastery with the second gun in the game).
The genre also allows a sort of sculptural aspect to come to the forefront (which both puzzlers and 3D platformers do) but with a much freer aim.

can you manchildren just fuck off

Video games are the biggest mistake of the past few decades. Absolutely no worth and they create the most terrible fanbases.

>absolutely no worth
dismissing something that broad is mark of a dummy
>they create the most terrible fanbases
yeah, especially when they breed with anime

Plenty of things have no worth.

no medium is worthless

Literature has given us alot more stupid fanbases.